What's new

Bicycles: First Time Buyer

Hi everyone,

It has been a while since I posted, and unfortunately I cannot get into it at this time. All I can say my absence is it is health-related and it is going to be a long road. I wish I could have read/contributed to the posts during the past 2 months, but my health issues were preventing me. Alas, I can now do a bit more reading and writing, so hopefully I will be on here a bit more as my health continues to improve.

With that said, I am now limited as to what I can do for working out over the next 6 - 9 months. Impact is absolutely out of the question. Upon discussion with my doctor, bicycling is an option, but it has to be stationary. I have always wanted to do a triathlon, so I figured this would be a great way to start!

I have done research, and I have come to the conclusion it is better to get a real bicycle with an indoor trainer than a stationary bike. Plus I have found some great deals on trainers in my area. The issue is the bike. I have looked at bike forums, and they are no help whatsoever (they need to take an etiquette lesson from B&B, among other things). So I come here to find out how best to go about getting my first bike? Any tips on buying (what to buy, where to buy, how to get a great deal, etc) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all!

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Unfortunately, I am of no help on the bike vs stationary bike question - just thought I would wish you improved health.

Since your intent seems to be to eventually take this bike out on the road, keep that in mind. For under $500 you can get fine bikes by Trek, Giant, Fuji, or Schwinn, to name just a few. Decide what you want as a first bike when you are ready to venture out. 7-, 18-, 21-, 24-speed? Go to a bike shop and let them know your plans and budget, and they'll be able to help you narrow your search. Enjoy your bike in good health, sir!

As someone else trying to get into road biking, I have found bike forums to be hit or miss, but you'll get solid advice here and in the Great Outdoors subforum as well. I have been researching bikes for a while now, seeking my first road bike, and have settled on a cyclocross bike style. If your goal is a triathlon, you may want to lean towards a more tri-biased design, but a cross bike is a pretty good mix between race and more relaxed geometry, so that's where I'm going.

There are deals to be had, but they usually come with compromises. Buy from a local shop and get good advice and service, but pay more. Buy online and get a smokin' deal, but you'll still need to develop a relationship with a local shop and/or learn to work on it yourself. That's not to say that there aren't deals to be had at your local shop(s), they may just be a little fewer and further between.

A little more about your budget and previous experience, perhaps?

As someone else trying to get into road biking, I have found bike forums to be hit or miss, but you'll get solid advice here and in the Great Outdoors subforum as well. I have been researching bikes for a while now, seeking my first road bike, and have settled on a cyclocross bike style. If your goal is a triathlon, you may want to lean towards a more tri-biased design, but a cross bike is a pretty good mix between race and more relaxed geometry, so that's where I'm going.

There are deals to be had, but they usually come with compromises. Buy from a local shop and get good advice and service, but pay more. Buy online and get a smokin' deal, but you'll still need to develop a relationship with a local shop and/or learn to work on it yourself. That's not to say that there aren't deals to be had at your local shop(s), they may just be a little fewer and further between.

A little more about your budget and previous experience, perhaps?

My budget is around $750, which I found gets my foot in the door for road bikes, but gets a lot of criticism for parts (the common comment I have found is spend the little extra to go from Shimano 2300 to Sora because it's worth it, but then it gets into the "where do I stop" syndrome that I have in shaving). I have mountain biking experience, but that is too jarring on the body for now. I really want a road biked geared towards racing/touring. The bike I gravitate towards is the Cannondale Caad8, so something in and around that area is where I am starting as a baseline.

Legion

Staff member
Hit you local bike shop. In my experience bike shop dudes are the nicest and most helpful guys in retail.

Personally I would probably get a less expensive hybrid bike to use on the trainer. The riding posistion is more relaxed and comfortable, so you will be more inclined to use it regularly while it is positioned in front of the telly. Use that to get your fitness up and then buy a triathlon bike later when you are ready.

Wise shopping should get you sora components at that price, but tiagra is possible too if you can catch the right one. Performance Bike has a tiagra-equipped Fuji cross bike for $750-800.

If you don't care about the name on the frame, you can do even better. Used bikes are a good option as well, but it depends on what you want and if you have a good eye for problems with a potential purchase.

Wise shopping should get you sora components at that price, but tiagra is possible too if you can catch the right one. Performance Bike has a tiagra-equipped Fuji cross bike for $750-800.

If you don't care about the name on the frame, you can do even better. Used bikes are a good option as well, but it depends on what you want and if you have a good eye for problems with a potential purchase.

I've noticed that there are some places where that is possible. bikes direct is a prime example. You can get some bikes with 105 components for $750. The question in my mind is reputability of the bike/frame. What is wrong with a motobecane/dawes/GT that they are constantly listed 40% below their equivalent? Does anyone have experience in this area that can shed some light?

My budget is around $750, which I found gets my foot in the door for road bikes, but gets a lot of criticism for parts (the common comment I have found is spend the little extra to go from Shimano 2300 to Sora because it's worth it, but then it gets into the "where do I stop" syndrome that I have in shaving).

That "skip 2300 and go at least to Sora" advice is sound. 2300 components are bottom of the barrel and in my experience have plenty more issues than any other group, most especially with the shifters. They also have different shifting ergonomics than the other Shimano shifters, with thumb levers to shift down in the rear. This means that you cannot shift down in the drops, which is completely unacceptable on a road bike. Sora shifters have recently been upgraded to the same STI actuation that every other (more expensive) group has. If you're starting out, I'd recommend either Sora or Tiagra.

What is wrong with a motobecane/dawes/GT that they are constantly listed 40% below their equivalent? Does anyone have experience in this area that can shed some light?

It's not that bikesdirect bikes are bad, but they aren't as good a deal as they look. The largest issue is that they come unassembled. There's more to assembling a bicycle than slapping it together and most people are unfamiliar with hub adjustments, derailleur setup and other bike-specific adjustments. It costs something like $100 to build an outside bike at my shop, so keep that in mind. Their second issue is mixing and matching drivetrain parts and then using the most expensive piece to define the bike. I was recently looking at one of their bikes, which had a mixed drivetrain. The front deraileur (easily the least expensive piece) was from component group A. Everything else was from less nice component group B. Of course component group A got top billing, even though it was only one part (the least important part at that.)

Bikesdirect is basically a wholesaler/manufacturer, which is why their prices are so inexpensive. However, don't believe that their $1000 bike is equivalent to another brand's $2000+ bike. They are masters at making a bike seem nicer than it actually is.

I just bought my first road bike after looking for a long, long time. Unless you know the differences between styles, components, etc, I would definitely recommend going into a few bike shops and chatting them up. Tell them what kind of riding you want to do and what your budget is right up front. Go to a few different ones that carry different brands and see what they recommend. Take good notes on what they tell you and what the prices are because they get confusing in a hurry. Now can be a good time because they may have left over 2013 models that they want to get rid of now that the 2014 models are showing up.

First thing first, shop for a good bike shop. In the shops I managed, I liked to hire a few retirees that were active cyclists simply because they were a bettr match to the shoppers that are looking to get into it later, have experianced various injuries and aches and pains, and also know how to speak to the previous generation. The kids I had were great, can get the younger customers hyped up and are really tech specific, but often times just couldn't communicate effectively to an older audience!

So, look for an older sales person if it suits you, or simply ask what type of riding they do, this will give you a clue to how they can help you.

Whatever bike you decide to get, spend the money for the special rear tire just for trainers, they will destroy a tire quick! Also, don't be tempted to try rollers unless you are 100% confident in your balance and concentration, they are like riding on ice!

If you come down to a more specific choice I can try to help. I ride it all, have owned most of it all, and have worked on almost anything you can think of!

-Xander

I'll definitely recommend Bikes Direct with the caveat that you need to be comfortable choosing a bike size, putting it together and noticing if something isn't quite right with the bike you receive. I've had great customer service from Bikes Direct (sent me a new fork to replace a damaged one on the road bike I ordered a little while back... they didn't even want the damaged one back). I did have a bike shop true the wheels and replace the fork (cut the steerer tube and install the star nut). I went against the sales rep's sizing recommendation, and I'm glad I did. I went with a size smaller than BD recommended, but I'm used to measuring myself against bike dimensions and choosing the right size for me.

If you're not comfortable with all that, follow Xander's advice and find a good shop that will take the time to properly fit you to a bike. This time of year is great for buying a road bike. The weather is turning off in many places, and shops are clearing out 2013 bikes. Be sure to ask if anything is about to go on sale soon or if they can cut you a deal on the bike and accessories. They'll generally help you out a little to close a good sale and keep you coming back in the future. If you don't ask, you don't get. :smile: Good luck with your search!

-Andy

I also recommend bikes direct. My friend works for my LBS (local bike store) and he was the one who recommended that I go this route. But I was able to take my bike in to him and have him teach me how to tune my derailers ( the only hard part of the build process). The cool thing about bikes direct is that it allows you to get quality brand name components without having to buy a brand name frame. I bought a carbon framed bike with sram rival components for about 40% of the price for a brand name store bought bike.

But first, find out if you want Shimano or SRAM components. Do this by taking a ride on a few bikes at your LBS this will also allow you to figure out which size you like the best. But, with a budget of $750 I would not go with a bike over $200. Really you should get a cheap bike to start out on until your budget is large enough to afford a carbon framed bike with decent components. You won't be able to tell much difference between a $200 target/walmart bike and a $700 trek or specialized. I would wait until you could get something like http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/lechamp_cf_rival.htm or http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/immortalpro_xi.htm

TL;DR Get a cheap bike now save up for a full carbon bike. Bikes direct is the best bang for your buck. Going from an aluminium bike to carbon bike will be the biggest seat of the pants upgrade for you anyways.

But first, find out if you want Shimano or SRAM components. Do this by taking a ride on a few bikes at your LBS this will also allow you to figure out which size you like the best. But, with a budget of $750 I would not go with a bike over $200. Really you should get a cheap bike to start out on until your budget is large enough to afford a carbon framed bike with decent components. You won't be able to tell much difference between a $200 target/walmart bike and a $700 trek or specialized. I would wait until you could get something...

I'll disagree with this in its entirety. If you have absolutely no intention of purchasing a bicycle from a shop, don't go in and test ride bicycles. If you're undecided and may purchase a bike from the shop, go for it. However, those working at a bike shop have better things to do than choose your online purchase for you.

Saying that there's basically no difference between a $200 bike and a $750 bike is also just plain incorrect. At $750, you can get a nice entry-level bicycle that is plenty for most weekend warriors. It will be far lighter and more reliable than a $200 bicycle. I'd also say that unless you know that you want carbon, don't bother (especially if you're putting it together yourself.) Carbon is generally plenty strong, but it crushes easier than alloy or steel will. Installing a stem on a carbon steer tube or handlebar requires you to be precise with the torque values, lest you weaken the weave. And, to be perfectly honest, at the price you aren't getting a mid or top-tier carbon frameset. You'd be better off, racing-wise, with a CAAD10.

But, with a budget of $750 I would not go with a bike over $200. Really you should get a cheap bike to start out on until your budget is large enough to afford a carbon framed bike with decent components. You won't be able to tell much difference between a $200 target/walmart bike and a $700 trek or specialized. I would wait until you could get something like http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/lechamp_cf_rival.htm or http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/immortalpro_xi.htm

TL;DR Get a cheap bike now save up for a full carbon bike. Bikes direct is the best bang for your buck. Going from an aluminium bike to carbon bike will be the biggest seat of the pants upgrade for you anyways.

I would have to heartily disagree with this sentiment also. As I pointed out earlier in this thread, very good bikes with better than decent components can be had at that price point. We aren't talking about racing here, most people will never need a high-end bike for strictly recreational/fitness riding, let alone a full carbon frame.

Nice bikes with good components that will last a very long time are well within the OP's budget.

Whatever bike you decide to get, spend the money for the special rear tire just for trainers, they will destroy a tire quick! Also, don't be tempted to try rollers unless you are 100% confident in your balance and concentration, they are like riding on ice!

very true on wearing out the tire. I used to use a trainer all winter and always put on special tires as they wear out quickly.

I'm currently trying out a set of rollers and it's very much like ice riding with slicks. very weird sensation and not sure I am going to keep at it or send the trainer back.

I may just hit the pool and swim laps this winter and hit the heavy bag that goes neglected in the basement.

$750 buys a lot of bike new and even more used. as others have said, find a good bike store, see if they have used as often they allow trade in's and buy back programs to keep customer loyalty.

biking it tons of fun and a great way to stay fit. i didn't get too far out of shape this past winter, but commuting to work and back, about 1100kms this year (a lot for me), saw me loose about 15lbs of fat and put on muscle tone in the legs and loose a few belt loops.

let us know what you get and post it in the "show us your ride" thread too.

I also recommend bikes direct. My friend works for my LBS (local bike store) and he was the one who recommended that I go this route. But I was able to take my bike in to him and have him teach me how to tune my derailers ( the only hard part of the build process). The cool thing about bikes direct is that it allows you to get quality brand name components without having to buy a brand name frame. I bought a carbon framed bike with sram rival components for about 40% of the price for a brand name store bought bike.

But first, find out if you want Shimano or SRAM components. Do this by taking a ride on a few bikes at your LBS this will also allow you to figure out which size you like the best. But, with a budget of $750 I would not go with a bike over $200. Really you should get a cheap bike to start out on until your budget is large enough to afford a carbon framed bike with decent components. You won't be able to tell much difference between a $200 target/walmart bike and a $700 trek or specialized. I would wait until you could get something like http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/lechamp_cf_rival.htm or http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/immortalpro_xi.htm

<sigh> This is the kind of uninformed opinion that can really ruin a great thing for an unknowledgeable person just getting into cycling. This is just plain bad advice. Swampy, please do us a favor and stop spreading this "infomation" around.

Having been in the bike industry as a master mechanic, wheelsmith, and shop manager at multiple shops, also spending thousands of dollars and years of my time collecting bicycles I have a pretty good insight into the differences between department store bikes and bike shop bikes.

Let's take a look at Schwinn hybrids. You can walk into Target and find a schwinn hybrid for <$200. Then you go to the local bike shop (lbs) and see a very similar looking Schwinn hybrid for $400. They look the same, componants are similar, they may even ride the same. So what's the difference? Lots.

Things like the frame, yes both are aluminum, but the department store bike will be made from lower grade material that is cheaper to produce and heavier. Cables will be lower grade, and cable housings will be unlined. Brake pads, brakes will be subsandard and stamped componants. Shifters wil have plastic gears inside and chain rings will be stamped. Bearings will not be sealed and this includes the bottom bracket. Rims will be single walled and tires will be cheap chinese garbage. Spokes will not be stainless and will not hold tension properly.

This makes up the bulk of the price difference between a department store bike and a lbs bike. They really are two different products. Consider a Hostess Twinkie and the generic brand, sure they look the same, but they don't taste the same.

To the OP, really figure out what type of riding you will be doing and how often. Be honest with the local bike shop. Even if you are considering purchasing online. Selling the bike is great, but that's just a one time sale. Its all the little parts, repairs, accessories, tubes, tires, chains, clothes, pedals, etc that you come back for that makes a big difference to the shop. I gave up on a potential $5K sale to a couple interested in some high end mountain bikes because what I had in stock and could get just didn't suit their desires perfectly. But, after they got the bikes they really wanted, they kept coming bck to me for service and everything else. Fully knowing that I had to charge them labor due to not buying the bikes from my shop, but because I made sure they got what they wanted exactly they knew they would get treated right at my shop.

Good luck in your hunt and feel free to shoot me a PM or email if you have any specific questions.

-Xander

I've noticed that there are some places where that is possible. bikes direct is a prime example. You can get some bikes with 105 components for $750. The question in my mind is reputability of the bike/frame. What is wrong with a motobecane/dawes/GT that they are constantly listed 40% below their equivalent? Does anyone have experience in this area that can shed some light?
When a bikedirect offering is listed as a "105" bike, pay attention to the complete component specs. It may only have 105 derailleurs while the other components are of lesser quality. Also, the sizing is limited. The frames are generic tubing, kinda harsh in aluminum. Brand name Treks, Dales, Specialized and Giants have put the money into lighter al frames with shaped tubing for a better ride and handling. Bike shops have put the money into paying a mechanic to build up the bikes and get them properly adjusted.
You're on your own in determining the correct size versus having a qualified bike shop size you and having the opportunity to test ride it. With BD, after the sale, you're on your own as far as maintenance. BD isn't going to suggest the best local group ride, good routes, best tires for your area, give you suggestions for tweaking the fit and saddle comfort, etc.
These details are what make up the price differences.
For someone who knows how to adjust a bike, knows their exact size and how to tweak it for themselves, and isn't concerned about the differences in frame quality or building a relationship with a local business, BD can same some money.

But I've helped a hell of a lot of people who have benefitted from looking beyond just the bottom line dollars comparison. They've avoided a lot of frustration, confusion, and second-guessing their choice. Bikes are one of the few purchases where you can get this kind of personal service and build this kind of personal relationship with the seller. LBS customers wind up sticking with cycling and enjoying it as a lasting hobby rather than just another impulse purchase gathering dust in the garage and then winding up on Craigslist.

Top Bottom