What's new

Bevel Setting

no mention of a king 1k?????

is this one not recommended? plan on getting a 1k of some sort very soon.

right now looking at king 1k or the Chosera. the king obviously for economical reasons......a starter.

so if I get this I could go.

1k, 3k, 8k, then to 12k cnat or Ark. could throw in additional 14k with film.

got some balsa stuff. stocking up on some of the little things needed. gonna need another rubbermaid container to keep all this stuff organized.

king 1k was listed in the shave ready progression list (provided by the seller) of the Wade & Butcher I bought earlier.

camo

Yes actually. Shapton Kuromaku 1.5 K
I used to use a Naniwa 1k and it was good but clogged quickly. The Shapton does not seem prone to the clogging and leaves a good finish.

thanks,

luckily have clearance from the LOTH to pull the trigger on whichever I desire.

equally important i have an antique lined up for practice/learning and another that will be saved for after the learning lesson.

the plus side to this will be if I dont jack up the first one too badly......I will gain two more razors. I plan on completely disassembling the first one and restoring too for fun.

damn you guys........joking of course.

camo

I am sure there are a lot that will disagree but a bevel can be set on a 4k if there are not issues with the blade like chips or geometry correction

I was told this when I started just over 3 years ago, I bought the set of king stones to get me started that was the gold dollar mod contest. Yeah they worked but the money I spent on them for them to be sat doing nothing now, I wish I had bought a good set once it's cheaper in the end.

You cannot go wrong with the Chosera/Professional 1k by Naniwa P-310, and that's what I was told to start with.

so a 1500k over 1000k??

thanks

camo
The shapton grit ratings are different. The 1.5k is good as a result and much nicer than their 1k. Personally I prefer it to the Chosera as well.

Be careful with Shapton - better to check their equivalent micron rating before you buy a stone.

The shapton grit ratings are different. The 1.5k is good as a result and much nicer than their 1k. Personally I prefer it to the Chosera as well.

Be careful with Shapton - better to check their equivalent micron rating before you buy a stone.

doesnt say anything other than 1500 under granularity rating. blue colored

camo

I am sure there are a lot that will disagree but a bevel can be set on a 4k if there are not issues with the blade like chips or geometry correction
I'm not someone who will disagree.

I like setting a bevel on a 4k or equivalent. I think it needs a bit of slurry raised. It helped me when I started encountering razors with poor geometry. With a coarser stone I got into a mess before I realised what the problem was. The 4k gave me time to adjust before the honing got out of hand. It is also easier to detect the cleaner bevel. I was surprised to find out recently that some well respected members use this method sometimes. I thought it was just me.

You’re going to get a million jillion peanut butter zillion answers....🤣

-but for setting a bevel I use a 1k shapton ceramic. The trick is to keep going until you’ve got an even angle on both sides. That part for me sometimes takes the most patience- especially if I’m working with stainless.

1k, incidentally is significantly smaller than 1 million jillion peanut butter zillion, though your mileage may vary....everyone’s different. 😂🤣😂

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Shapton Pro 1.5k changed my honing and shaving life. Period. 4 years of playing with a natural progression. Yeah, I could get it done but not consistently or particularly well. Thought I was doing great. Bought this hone and my edges skyrocketed! Guess I'm a little slow on the up take and underestimated the importance of the bevel. A refined, dialed in bevel.

And I even whine to myself quietly, while I use it, because it's a water stone and as a rule, I don't use water hones. Phobia thing, not performance.

Everyone is crazy about finishers. OOhh, Ahhh, Ark, Escher, Jnat, Coti, Thuri, 20k, 30k, perhaps we should be a little crazy about bevel setters.

Yup, million,jillion peanut butter zillion...+1

duke762

Rose to the occasion
Shapton Pro 1.5k changed my honing and shaving life. Period. 4 years of playing with a natural progression. Yeah, I could get it done but not consistently or particularly well. Thought I was doing great. Bought this hone and my edges skyrocketed! Guess I'm a little slow on the up take and underestimated the importance of the bevel. A refined, dialed in bevel.

And I even whine to myself quietly, while I use it, because it's a water stone and as a rule, I don't use water hones. Phobia thing, not performance.

Everyone is crazy about finishers. OOhh, Ahhh, Ark, Escher, Jnat, Coti, Thuri, 20k, 30k, perhaps we should be a little crazy about bevel setters.

Yup, million,jillion peanut butter zillion...+1

the beater that will be experimented on:

20200529_060315.jpg

the one I'll save back for when I get it right:

20200529_060230.jpg

torrey artist.

camo

Interesting beater vs other... i would have had those switched. Would you mind explaining what your considerations for that were? Always fun to hear a different perspective.

Interesting beater vs other... i would have had those switched. Would you mind explaining what your considerations for that were? Always fun to hear a different perspective.

the beater is a H.M. Darling. it was relatively cheap. my hope is that it turns out well and is usable......if not I'm into it for not much of a loss. the positive would be gaining a nice razor I brought back from the dead myself. I figured the steel on this should be fairly good to learn with. I'm going to unpin and clean up the blade some for the experience.

the Torrey........well i like Torrey's and did not know they made one with fancy scales named "the artist." for the $.....this is a sweet razor to me.

doesnt look like it will take much other than bevel set and honing. In reality wont know until both birds are in the hand.

camo

Top Bottom