What's new

Best value set up if you were to start over again?

For newbies looking for local artisan soaps. A good shaving soap maker should be able to demonstrate her product and make some lather for you with a brush and bowl, or have videos on their site. Be wary of soap makers who don't. B&B members have found all that is good in this world and shared it with the board, so if something doesn't have any reviews here, it's probably not worth it.

And for procuring brushes and razors, check out the buy sell trade forum here. There is value to be found in used products that were well-made and will last a long time.

Price is easy to measure. Value is a bit more difficult. As we say around here YMMV!

This is especially true with things like a razor. For example, my standard recommendation for a first, DE is either the EJ89 or Merkur 34HD. These are certainly not the least expensive, but they are very good performers, that are reliable, forgiving and straightforward to use. For me, a few $ is worth it if it saves me a fair bit of blood!

With other items, such as AS some of the drugstore brands, for example OS or Pinaud, are absolutely top-notch performers.

Last edited:
$10 Synthetic
$15 40s Super Speed
$15 tub of TOBS Sandawood

If I was forced to do it like a homeless guy that's what I'd buy.

The dirt cheap school is always an interesting topic-
So...price being the prime directive-

1. Brush-Omega Pro 49 or 49S..your choice about $11.00
2. Soap/Cream-Arko stick ($2.00 maybe) Derby ($4-$5). Scout around; there will be someone on this site giving the stuff away from time to time
3. Blades-again $1-$2 a pack. $10.00 for a hundred. If you are upon truly hard times, I'll send you some on the house (as long as it's an American address).
5. Razor-What..$25-$30 for a NEW DE make by a company we have heard of? Then figure 1/2 that or less if you want to go the "Vintage" route.

So...for $40-$50 you can set yourself up with a kit which is probably twice the quality of your grandfathers. Or......

You can order a high-zoot razor from Mastro Livi, Jerry Stark, Tim Zowada, Brian Brown and then pick up a Tony Miller or Katayama strop.
While you are waiting for delivery, see what Rudy Vey can do for you as far as a brush. Check out one of the favorite vendors here and pick up a Simpson Chubby 3 in Super....don't forget to stay on the radar for a Paladin brush too.

Grab onto some Castle Forbes and Czech & Speake creams/soaps while you're at it. Indeed you MUST get some Acqua di Parma and Penhaligon too.

Still want a DE??

An ATT or Pils will rock your world. Of course these razors demand Gillette Silver Blue or Feathers.

....all this and as available as you are to your VISA and keyboard...ain't technology grand?????

You can get a razorock mission which comes with a blade sampler (NOT DERBY BLADES) for 20 dollars on amazon.

Col Conk 4 oz is like 4 dollars

If you like Arko soap, you can get 12 sticks of it for $10 including shipping. At less than $1 a stick, it's the best value I've seen lately. It's 900g for $10, even better than a kilo of Cella for $40.

And if for whatever reason you have your heart set on diving in to straight razor shaving, whipped dog can set you up with their sight unseen flawed razor, poor man strop kit, and a brush and some soap for a low cost. Definitely get a styptic pencil if you're new. :tongue_sm

This is similar to the setup I currently have though I use TOBS cream.

- Murker razor - $20 to $35
- Omega Boar brush - $10 to $15
- Astra Blades - $10 to $15 per 100
- Arko or VDH soaps - $2 to $3 per
- Coffee Mug from the kitchen

Total $42 to $63 plus the mug

I've been discovering the value of vintage razors as of late so I'd start with a Gem or ER SE or a 40's Super Speed each for less than $20.

its hard to beat Cella for $10 or a tabac stick for slightly more.

blades is a pick'em for me as even the feathers cost pennies compared to carts.

Brushes are where I would spend a little more. I prefer a Plisson synthetic for $36 over a Plissoft. For Badger there's Simpson's Berkley 46 for $54 and for boar a Semogue 1305 for less than $20 is a superb value.

these represent what I've used (or there near kin) so there may be better available but I can feel confident in theses.

just got a friend into wet shaving and PIFed him a Muhle STF v2 brush and DR Harris cream. He didn't seem interested in vintage so I went out on a limb and recommended a Fatip Tesina gentile.

Muhle R89 / Edwin Jagger DE89

Simpsons "The Colonel" XL2 brush in Best Badger

Feather blades

Any D.R. Harris soap

Any AoS / Geo Trumpers / Truefitt & Hill cream

-------------------------

I have all of the above now (and considerably more); but if that had been my setup from the get-go, it could have saved me a lot of time and money

If I knew then what I know now, I could survive with only my NEW SC, Rocket HD and 06 Single Ring. Non-vintage it would be a 34C and 37C.

I got a bunch of razors off eBay, some soaps, and quite a few brushes (mostly as knots, made the handles myself), but my suggested starting setup is:

Gillette adjustable razor off eBay, any of them will work. Can usually get one for less than $15 if you're not picky about looks.
Astra SP blades, either a few or a hundred, they are inexpensive and reliable, most people can use them.
Omega boar brush, $10 or so. No need for fancy.
Williams soap.
Old coffee cup, small bowl, storage dish, whatever for the soap.

The Williams will take a while to learn to lather really well, but it provides excellent slickness even if the lather goes flat and it's cheap, lasts forever. A well made boar brush will last a lifetime, and they are less prickly than Pure Badger brushes with trimmed bristles (have a couple of those, never use them, the boar feels better, even brand new).

An adjustable will let you figure out what level of agressiveness you like in a razor without buying a pile of them, and for basic shaving it will, paired with Astra blades, get the job done with minimal fuss. Unless someone is allergic to the platinum coating (whatever it actually is), they will work well enough to learn to shave with.

A sampler of blades is a good idea once you learn to shave without peeling your face, but I suspect it's wasted for many beginners. Until someone can shave with a decent blade in a mild razor without razor burn or nicks and without "using up" the blade in a couple shaves, samplers will be just the first shave on a blade for evaluation, and they should last much longer than one or two shaves. Good technique, especially angle, comes first. Derbys are actually a very good choice here because they punish you if you let the angle of the blade get too large, they pull something horrible. Far from the most comfortable shave, but you also will not slice up your face, and the results are great.

With some care you can get a decent setup for less than $50. With some skill so that blades last, you can shave for a penny a day if you want -- my brother and I both get a large number of shaves on a blade, and he has much denser beard hair than I do.

Doesn't mean you can't play with it all you like ( and while I'm simple with razors and soap, I have way too many blades....), but you can get in pretty cheap.

Peter

I actually started out with a pretty good setup, I think. Initially, I had a Slim I'd been given by my dad. To that, I added a LC & SC NEW, a blade sampler, Palmolive & Tabac sticks, an Omega 11047 boar/badger, & some Target witch hazel. Starting fresh, I wouldn't change too much. The LC NEW is one of the best razors I own & the Omega 11047 is still in use as my travel brush.

Say...
LC NEW bar or ball handle. Maaaaybe the SC instead, since the baseplate design prevents the clogging issues I run into shaving my head.
Omega 11047 or Pro 49, depending on size preference.
100 pack of Astra SPs, since that's what I ended up doing anyway.
Palmolive sticks to shred in a bowl.
Target witch hazel.
...& I would be perfectly happy.

Top Bottom