What's new

Best toothbrush for extra sensitive gums

For many years I used the Sensodyne Ultra Soft toothbrush...and it was perfect. They have discontinued this product :mad2:. And now I need a replacement brand. What are your suggestions? I am not interested in electric toothbrushes. Also, what are your opinions on bamboo toothbrushes? Thanks.

I had gum sensitivity for years. I quit using toothpastes. I make my own powders. Toothbrushes weren't the problem either.

What really helped the most to end the cause was a night time bite guard. Ask your dentist if there are signs of abfraction from grinding. This, as I understand it is loss of the enamel at the base of the tooth just below gum line. It was explained as like rocking a brick building too far over to the side and the base bricks crumbling under the pressure. I use an NTI TSS guard.

NTI TSS

...use of the guard also ended daily headaches and waking feeling beat up and hung over

I had gum sensitivity for years. I quit using toothpastes. I make my own powders. Toothbrushes weren't the problem either.

What really helped the most to end the cause was a night time bite guard. Ask your dentist if there are signs of abfraction from grinding. This, as I understand it is loss of the enamel at the base of the tooth just below gum line. It was explained as like rocking a brick building too far over to the side and the base bricks crumbling under the pressure. I use an NTI TSS guard.

NTI TSS

...use of the guard also ended daily headaches and waking feeling beat up and hung over
I have a night guard. Yes, it does help. I think maybe the real solution is retirement.

I find manual, wooden toothbrushes softer than their plastic counterparts. TBS, you should go to a dentist, because there can be multiple reasons why your gums are sensitive.

I find manual, wooden toothbrushes softer than their plastic counterparts. TBS, you should go to a dentist, because there can be multiple reasons why your gums are sensitive.
I have discussed this with my dentist and she recommends gentle pressure taking care to brush near the gum line with an "away from the gum" motion. She too used Sensodyne ultra soft and has not had much luck finding a good substitute.

I might also suggest soaking your toothbrush bristles in hot water prior to brushing. It will soften them somewhat further & the warmth feels soothing to gums & gum-line.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Te Pe. I will take a picture of what I use. Better yet, if I still have one around (unused lol) I will send you one. I love mine. But I am now mostly using a motorized toothbrush, Oral B maybe? And just NO pressure. It lights up red if I push too hard!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Te Pe is from somewhere in Scandinavia, I think. I found one for five bucks or so at a hippie health store in Frankenmuth Michigan. Then I bought another. Then I got smart and started buying in bulk online, ha! Gave one to a friend that was having sensitivity issues, and she ended up getting herself some more.

Consider the Curaprox Ultra Soft 5460

Something like that is ideal. Dr. Collin's Perio is a similar toothbrush, an inexpensive, 1970's Reach styling with an extra soft head.

I used POH 4 row extra soft for years. It's US manufactured and makes just about any kind of older styled toothbrush.

This one also looks good:

Colgate's Renewal toothbrush is also very soft, the softest toothbrush I have ever used so far.

I am going to check out the Nimbus brand, it was created by a periodontist and seems to get alot of recommendations. It's an extra soft brush that also has some floss tips. Most dentists that prefer it seem to use the Modified Bass technique.

Nimbus toothbrushes are the absolute best soft toothbrushes. Just phenomenal to use. I wish they made electric heads and am probably going to dremel one to work with my electric to see how it goes.

I have sensitive gums that are prone to inflammation and bleeding.

Sonicare has been a godsend for me. I’ve stopped my receding gum line. I can use the normal setting with normal heads now and I can floss without bleeding (with extra thick floss). I don’t use a back and forth brushing motion. It’s a very very slow single pass along the gum lines with no pressure and let the brush do the work.

Top Bottom