What's new

Best Straight Razor Shave NYC?

I have a friend visiting New York City. He is interested in an old fashioned straight razor shave experience. Where is the best place in Manhattan to get a straight razor shave?

Unfortunately most people have had bad experiences with getting shaves done at modern day Barbers. I know it's not too much help but If I were to look I'd try to find an old timer, its probably your best chance of getting someone good at it :)

If he regularly shaves with a straight and doesn't have to worry about being too careful with problem skin, then he should be fine. Otherwise, it's risky. I got butchered at an AOS shop.

There are two eShave places at least, I know the one in Rockefeller Center does shaves. They use a Fusion or shavette of sorts depending on your pref IIRC. If your friend's face isn't prone to irritation it might be enjoyable.

But yeah I'd totally go to that old dude in Harlem.

My barber on St Marks Pl. does straight shaves and I've watched him do dozens..maybe scores of shaves. I've gotten shave by him a few times, but that was a long time ago. But - I just watched him shave someone about 2 weeks ago. Everyone I've seen in his chair, including me, has been happy with their shave. I'm not saying he's a shaving genius - I only mean to say that I've seen him produce good results. He uses a disposable blade razor. Just about every other time I'm in there he's giving a shave.

Royal is the name of the joint, 16 St Marks - between Bowery and 2nd, south side of the street, can't miss it. Ask for Edward - he works the 2nd chair. I usually catch him weeknights around 6:00-6:30 on Wednesdays.

He's an old skool barber. He even cuts my GF's hair sometimes.. we love going there.

Top Bottom