What's new

Best pre shave oil or cream and why?

I am a newb, but I have tried several including van vulay, Avon, Nivea, Lisa’s Naturals, and even using some Castile soap on my face after washing.

Of those, Lisa’s does well. But I will be getting some Grooming Dept pre shave. I think that product line is second to none

I’m a big fan of the jack black beard lube I use it as a base and apply lather over it. I let it sit on my face as load and lather.

I started with art of shaving pre shave oils and they just seemed to clog up the razors. Proraso really didn’t do anything for me. I also have and tried paa cube. I tried as recommended, rubbing the cube on the face and then lathering over it, didn’t provide the same slickness as jack black. Since I have the cube I use it as a last step face wash before finishing shower.

...but I get a much better and non irritating shave with some type of preshave...
If your lather is perfect, you would not need pre-shave treatment, other than proper hydration of the beard.

...That said, I’m looking for guidance for the best preshave oil, crème or recipe. I’m trying to improve from what I’ve tried so far...
Any preshave oil or face cream would work. The most basic cream to try is Nivea for men, if you like its scent. It is indeed an eye opener.
...Prorasso- Have the green and red tubs. It works, it’s cheap, it’s easy, and best of all rinses off your fingers immediately under water. No greasy hands or additional cleanup. The one large drawback, IMO, is a strong smell and I don’t like it competing with a nice soap...
I also used the green and red pre-shave. Neither made it till the end. The green was awful to start with as the smell was overpowering. It smelled of some chest rub, really pungent medicine. The pre-shave properties were meh, to say the least.
The red had a strong sandalwood scent that was somehow pleasant and complemented the red soap. Scent wise was just OK, but I didn't really feel any improvements in post-shave. I would not recommend any of them.

In my experience, any face cream will do well as a pre-shave, as long as the scent does not interfere with the lather and it is pleasant.

I use glycerin bar soap I found in a local drugstore.. I just rub wet hands on the bar and then on my face. It improves performance of shaving soaps that need help with slickness. (You know who you are!) Otherwise, it doesn't do much.

Truefitt and Hill pre shave oil is very light, with a subtle citrus aroma. I use a couple of drops every other shave or so. It washes off my hands instantly after application. Very light oil. I'm not sure it really does much in terms of the actual shave, but it's part of the routine.
full

I shower pre-bedtime and normally shave between 10A-12P.
If I'm removing 2-3days of growth, I use Proraso Beard Balm (Wood& Spice) after washing my face and carry on with my morning. During pre-shave prep, I may apply the corresponding pre-shave cream; but as for oils, Truefitt's is definitely tops.

I've used pre-shaves for the last 9 months and I think they do make a difference. I've stayed away from the oils and concentrated on the creams. I've been using the white Proraso, no menthol, and only lightly scented with apple and oatmeal which I can't smell at all and there is no conflict with any soap or aftershave. For the heck of it, I use Proraso for a week and then Eucerin Calm for a week. Any face or hand cream will do and is as effective as the Proraso. Neither of these clogs my razor or negatively coats my brush but both do a good job at hydrating my skin and whiskers.

Art of Shaving “unscented“ pre shave oil. Actually I now use a recipe that is very close to AoS pre shave oil.
Three to four drops for my whole face before lathering. Six drops would negatively effect the shave.
👍

I've tried oils and didn't like the mess. From my experience for myself the PAA cube is very good, Stirling glacial pre-shave bar is better and I really like the Brito glycerin soap best now. Lather it up on your face with a brush and just leave it on.

I'm not into preshave products but the past few weeks I've been using Grooming Dept preshave and I'll never shave again without it. Especially with products like MdC that can use some improvements- Grooming Dept pre-shave amps up your lather. There's a considerable difference in performance especially with lower performing soaps that I use just because I enjoy the scent.
Totally agree. Really like the Spa scent, but the base itself is awesome. No more Proraso pre shaves nor Art of Shaving oil

I’m a big fan of the jack black beard lube I use it as a base and apply lather over it. I let it sit on my face as load and lather.

I started with art of shaving pre shave oils and they just seemed to clog up the razors. Proraso really didn’t do anything for me. I also have and tried paa cube. I tried as recommended, rubbing the cube on the face and then lathering over it, didn’t provide the same slickness as jack black. Since I have the cube I use it as a last step face wash before finishing shower.
I have been using either Proraso or Jack Black preshave massaged in for a minute, followed by a couple of drops of Art of Shaving oil. That combo of cream followed by oil worked well. I tried Grooming Dept. Pre-shave and it was a whole other level. Immediately went ahead and bought 4 jars!

I have tried quite a few and most of the ones mentioned here. My favourite, now and for the last three years I think is Crown Shaving's Supreme Glide Pre-Shave. It is a gel, and it does a great job.

I mostly use Wright's Traditional Soap or Pears Transparent Soap. Both contain glycerin and can be used as shaving soaps, at a push.

I wash my face then use the soap bar as a shave stick and rub it in with my hands to create a light lather before lathering my shave soap over it.

I find this hydrates my whiskers and adds plenty of slickness.

I’ll start by saying that I realize this is “YMMV”, but I get a much better and non irritating shave with some type of preshave. That said, I’m looking for guidance for the best preshave oil, crème or recipe. I’m trying to improve from what I’ve tried so far-

Alonzo’s- cheap, organic, works really, really well but IMO is just messy, as I assume most oils will be. It’s like have grease on your hands and I don’t like the extra cleanup of getting oil off my hands. Are different carrier oils less of an issue to get off your hands?

Prorasso- Have the green and red tubs. It works, it’s cheap, it’s easy, and best of all rinses off your fingers immediately under water. No greasy hands or additional cleanup. The one large drawback, IMO, is a strong smell and I don’t like it competing with a nice soap.

Anything out there that’s super slick, scentless, mild or pleasing AND not oily/messy?

Am I asking for a best of all worlds that doesn’t exist?

If someone has a great recipe that meets my criteria I don’t mind mixing my own.

Thanks in advance for advice!

Dave
Foster and Lake
There is a website. Less expensive on EBay. The only shaving oil I found unscented. Black squeeze bottle with green square. Can be used as a pre-shave.

I am a face and head shaver. I shave with warm water. Shaving oil is all I use. No brush. No cream/soap, etc.
I wet my face. Squeeze 5 drops in my hands. I apply to my skin until it is really absorbed. My hands go from wet to dry. I do the same with my head. My razor blade glides effortlessly across my skin. It doesn’t clog my razor. Shave as usual. I do 2 passes on face. 1 pass on head with touch ups. Not greasy. Easy to remove. It does slightly leave residue on the razor. Not an issue for me. After the shave my skin is very moisturized. No lotion or aftershave needed. I still apply beard oil. I only use SE vintage razors with PAL CS or GEM PTFE SS blades. I used to use Aveeno Shave Gel. It became too drying for me. Give it a try. Can’t hurt. It is not the traditional way to shave. Soap/brush/razor/3 pass shave.

Last edited:
I have been using either Proraso or Jack Black preshave massaged in for a minute, followed by a couple of drops of Art of Shaving oil. That combo of cream followed by oil worked well. I tried Grooming Dept. Pre-shave and it was a whole other level. Immediately went ahead and bought 4 jars!
Grooming dept. seems to be getting the most raves and votes- one question- does it wash off your hands easily? I had tried another oil, nice shave, but it was like trying to get bacon grease off your hands with cold water which totally ruins the experience for me. That’s the best thing I liked about Proraso- it comes right off so you can resume your lathering, shaving, etc.
if I want a greasy hassle, I deserve the pound of bacon, lol.

My modest experience so far with pre-shave products has only been with Proraso Red and TMT B Beard NOHAI pre-shave gel, the latter being significantly better and not expensive.

Top Bottom