What's new

Best & Most Natural & Least Toxic Honing Oil?

Hey, I used to have a can like that.

Not a problem to share anything you can share, sir. As a chemical engineer you are likely to be aware of things I don't know or long ago forgot or know but don't tend to think of.

I'm telling you that one edge off the PTFE stone was incredibly good, but that doesn't mean it's good for the stone.

I'll buy some grain alcohol even though I don't drink alcohol. Back when I did we college students used to drink the grain hospitals had. It came in five gallon cans I believe and was the best grain alcohol ever according to what I've heard. I suspect my fraternity brothers who were medical students or something and worked in the university's hospital might have stolen probably paid the hospital for the stuff. The right amount mixed in a plastic garbage can with a few gallons of fruit juice and many many cans of fruit and things of that sort made a killer drink called Yucca Flats.

I tried it once. That was too many times. Way too many times as I recall vaguely.

Happy shaves,

Jim

If the PTFE 3 in 1 gives you the best edge, and you’re sure a non PTFE 3 in 1 or other plain oil of similar viscosity doesn’t seem to give the same result, then maybe the PTFE is helping suspend the blade just right above the stones surface. Either way, if it works roll with it and if I made you paranoid with my first post clean your stone with the alcohol every few honing sessions. There’s really not too much you can do to an Arkansas stone that can’t be undone later with enough elbow grease and other chemicals. Simple green or dawn and scrubbing with any soft bristle brush can usually clean an arkansas stone well enough to switch honing fluids without any real contamination if you dry it out afterwards. Worst case the PTFE does build up over time and you have to get some SiC sandpaper and glass and lap off a few thousandths of an inch and start over. That might not happen at all or it might happen years from now.

Plenty of people out there use or try different things on the same stone, sort of like using different nagura on a JNAT. My beat up old Mystery Arkansas stone makes the best finished edges on mineral oil/alcohol about 70/30, but it’s a thick combo and I’d have to grab something thinner if I wanted to actually remove metal. Most oils and alcohols mix well enough that I never clean my old stone off. I’m constantly lapping my soft ark and carborundum to keep them cutting the way I like. All that’s happened is the 3/4” soft ark from the early 90s is now a 5/8+” ark.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
If the PTFE 3 in 1 gives you the best edge, and you’re sure a non PTFE 3 in 1 or other plain oil of similar viscosity doesn’t seem to give the same result, then maybe the PTFE is helping suspend the blade just right above the stones surface. Either way, if it works roll with it and if I made you paranoid with my first post clean your stone with the alcohol every few honing sessions. There’s really not too much you can do to an Arkansas stone that can’t be undone later with enough elbow grease and other chemicals. Simple green or dawn and scrubbing with any soft bristle brush can usually clean an arkansas stone well enough to switch honing fluids without any real contamination if you dry it out afterwards. Worst case the PTFE does build up over time and you have to get some SiC sandpaper and glass and lap off a few thousandths of an inch and start over. That might not happen at all or it might happen years from now.

Plenty of people out there use or try different things on the same stone, sort of like using different nagura on a JNAT. My beat up old Mystery Arkansas stone makes the best finished edges on mineral oil/alcohol about 70/30, but it’s a thick combo and I’d have to grab something thinner if I wanted to actually remove metal. Most oils and alcohols mix well enough that I never clean my old stone off. I’m constantly lapping my soft ark and carborundum to keep them cutting the way I like. All that’s happened is the 3/4” soft ark from the early 90s is now a 5/8+” ark.

Thanks.

I always wash both my Hard Black (SS/Dan's) and Hard Translucent (Norton) Arks with soap and water after using them with oils. I'll maybe add a little brush to the mix, but don't know I need it. The Arks seem totally like new after soap and water.

I have SIC powders of various grits, too, and a marble tile for flattening the Arks.

Happy shaves,

Jim

thhbznc3dd-jpg.929838

What say you, @TreadwayJohnA? How many times have you used the stuff on your Ark, and what's the damage?

I sure don't want to ruin my stone, but the 3-in-1 yesterday (with the bad ingredient) did a great job on my razors. The best ever? I think so.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I have used it routinely for a while now, no ill-effects to speak of yet. And with great success, may I add. To each his own, but I don't mind the ingredients either as I've been in contact with 3in1 all my life, (even on the hair clippers when I was a young boy) and am not afraid of cancer as I'm sure I'll get it from either smoking or from processed meats first. As for ruining my Ark.... I doubt the 3in1 will harm it honestly, but if it does I'll just pick up another and learn from the lesson. Arks aren't a priceless commodity and I doubt they will collapse the market anytime soon, so yeah, no worries.

Do as you wish, don't follow my folly. But as for me, I see no harm in it and will continue doing what gives me best results and right now its PTFE 3in1

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I have used it routinely for a while now, no ill-effects to speak of yet. And with great success, may I add. To each his own, but I don't mind the ingredients either as I've been in contact with 3in1 all my life, (even on the hair clippers when I was a young boy) and am not afraid of cancer as I'm sure I'll get it from either smoking or from processed meats first. As for ruining my Ark.... I doubt the 3in1 will harm it honestly, but if it does I'll just pick up another and learn from the lesson. Arks aren't a priceless commodity and I doubt they will collapse the market anytime soon, so yeah, no worries.

Do as you wish, don't follow my folly. But as for me, I see no harm in it and will continue doing what gives me best results and right now its PTFE 3in1

I like it. Thanks.

Top Bottom