What's new

Best low priced soap?

My favorite soap is MWF and I'm a big fan of both Tabac and Cade. However, the quality of Arko and Palmolive is on the same level. If either of these products came in fancy packaging with a higher price tag, they would continue to sell well. Fortunately, they continue to be available at a very low cost.

I see Col. Conks, Williams, VDH, Edwin Jagger, Proraso, Omega and Mama Bear shave soaps for a decent price. What is the best quality low-priced soap? Are there any not listed here? Where is the cheapest place to buy them? Thanks!

Ryan

I like Col. Conk, Williams, Poraso, and Mama Bear among those you've listed. My current favorite of those is Poraso. There is some feel good smell about it and it is fine soap. Anything is an upgrade over what I used the previous 40 years (canned goop).

I cannot believe that I'm going to be the first person on this thread to mention this wonderful, inexpensive soap:

Saint Charles Shave shaving soap!

Pick a scent and have at it. Wonderful soaps. Ten times better than VDH at about 2.5 times the price (give or take).

I like Proraso, at only about $9.00 a tub, this makes a great lather, has an awesome scent, and is very economical in my opinion.

My favorite soap is MWF and I'm a big fan of both Tabac and Cade. However, the quality of Arko and Palmolive is on the same level. If either of these products came in fancy packaging with a higher price tag, they would continue to sell well. Fortunately, they continue to be available at a very low cost.

I agree. Finally went for the MWF and even with hard water it lathers great. A little on the brush and then into the shave mug to work up wonderful lather. That being said, I then 1 or 2 days a week substitute Tabac or Arko or Williams or C+E or floris soap and get pretty close results. so all are working out pretty well, but HEY I see where the MWF is real reasonable at a UK website . A fellow can never have tooooo many soaps.:thumbup:

For cheap and available, I vote for VDH. It can be had on Amazon for $15.00 for 12 pucks. I boost VDH with Cremo, or KMF, and it really works well.

I hear good things about Susie's Bubbles N Squeak. They're next on my list of artisan soaps to try.

$5 each, $12 for 3 or $20 for 6. Also offers 6 half-sized samples for $12. I know which one I'm going with :thumbup:

Can't go wrong with any of the soaps mentioned. I love the Godrej. Lucky to have friends who have family in India, and they bring me back pucks whenever they visit. Soaps seem to last on and on for me. Have yet to use an entire puck of anything except VDH which goes away quickly compared to the other soaps mentioned here.

Jeff

Get some Arko Here....you'll be set for a long time.:thumbup1:

But really of the three,
Arko is the most economical.

Amazon (or a vendor on Amazon) actually has it on sale.
15 sticks for 16.99 plus free shipping.

Yep. While I understand, and agree with, the advocacy for the others, on a pure price/performance basis, I can't imagine beating Arko. The risk with Arko is the scent, which off-puts some gents (it's a neutral soap scent to me, but I'm not the champion sniffer); but, if it passes the nose-test for you, you're golden.

R

rum

Another vote for Palmolive shave stick. Very soothing to use, clean, fresh, soapy 'green' scent. Of course it has tallow in it as well. Works well with most after shave balms and lotions. Scent doesn't interfere with your cologne and is good to use year-round whatever the weather.

Packaging isn't great of course, but for the price who cares? 48p at my local Asda (Wal-Mart for all you US people), but some places have had it for less on promotion. Bought several, unwrapped them and pushed them into a new Kent shaving mug. Works just like a mug/puck soap. Use it in stick form for a quicker shave or for travel.

Can't recommend the Palmolive enough.

I am a big fan of mama bear soaps. They run from 7.99 and up and they come in a plastic 4oz tub, or you can upgrade to a wooden bowl. You can also order soap samples called slivers for a dollar. I am new to wet shaving so cost is a concern. I got 3 different mama bear soaps for the cost of in tub of DR Harris. As for After shaves mama bear and SCS are a good value.

I am a big fan of mama bear soaps. They run from 7.99 and up

Not anymore they don't. Unscented, the cheapest, is now at 8.99. All others run from 9.99 and up, unless you go with a shave stick. Great soap, but not for $10 a puck, IMO.

I'm about to try out Soap opera, though. $4 for 12.5% more soap than mama bears, though without a tub. We'll see how this goes.

Here in Germany you get the blue Wilkinson shave stick for roughly a buck. Nice scent, great performance, tallow, cheap. Perhaps not quite as excellent as the Palmolive stick, but very close - and NOTHING like the horrible soap in a bowl.

Some good mentions.
The only thing I would add is the UK made Erasmic tallow shaving stick.
A bit more expensive than the Palmolive and still pretty good. I might do half my face with one and half with the other one day for a direct comparison!

They tried to make this stick without tallow for a while and it was rubbish, they have now gone back to the old, tallow formula. But if you are buying look at the ingredients list first.

Top Bottom