What's new

Best knife under $35 or so

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
For a more classic gentleman's pocket knife, take a look at
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...pe=product&storeId=10051&ddkey=THDStoreFinder

The Prince model 503 lockback folder by Buck Knives. Hollow ground, small enough for comfortable pocket carry. It can be had for under $35 and is nearly always offered for under $40. Very classy, fairly sharp right out of the box and capable of taking a very good edge and holding it well.

The one I carry around town is the Squire, which is the next size bigger but very similar. It comes with a belt sheath but it also is okay for pocket carry.

This is very true. I do find that I cut a lot of things that the serrations help with, (rope, rubber tube, branches, and bandage fabrics for our horses. (I will not work around the horses with out a blade that is at least partially serrated, ropes tangled around you or your horse need to be cut fast)) but you will need to decide what you plan to cut. The knife that Andy mentions above is great looking, I wouldn't count it out just yet. I wish that I could offer you more advice on the Spyderco, but I have not really had many, and have not found many that I liked for my needs (not saying they aren't good, they are great knives with many loyal users) and I have only ever had one Benchmade, one that I was given as a young scout, and I beat the dickens out of it, and have lost it since. But my next purchase is going to be a Benchmade.

I have just taken pictures of some of my other favorite EDC knives, and have loaded them to this Photobucket Folder The password for this folder is explorerkid all lowercase. I did it this way due to the fact that I took a fair amount of pics, and didn't want to waste bandwidth from B&B. They are labeled, with the knife model. (click the View Grid option toward the lower right corner to see the labels better, as the photos have gone out of order and won't let me fix it.) I hope this helps, but in the long run I know very little, and am always learning as well. PM me if you have any questions about the knives in the link, I will be glad to answer any questions I can. I don't think that you can really go wrong with any of the models that you are looking at, but I wouldn't settle for a knife if that is something that you don't really prefer, just based on price. I also find that I like different blade shapes and edge lengths for different jobs, but that all depends on what you prefer, and your needs

Sorry for the ramblings in this post, I'm tired, and has been a long day. (I will eventually change that link to a better option, but it was fast for tonight.)

It's interesting that you work with horses. I don't (I live in suburbia), but one of my favorite knives is my Emerson Horseman BT. It seems to be made in smaller numbers, is sharp as hell, and the blade is incredibly strong. The grips are the G10 composite material and will never slip, even in the wettest weather. The pocket clip is ingenious: it is made so that if you stick the knife in your back pocket, you can pull the knife out and the knife will be open and ready for use! Otherwise, it's simply an open-assist knife. Here's a photo:

proxy.php

BTW, there are some great video knife reviews here: http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy#p/search

S

Sam

I am thinking a 2.5 to 3.25 inch blade is ideal. I held a Benchmade presidio, loved the weight and blade and balance and handle. However, I want a curved handle and not straight on, so the Mini Griptilian is the Benchmade I like. I liked the assisted opening of the Kershaws and held my first couple of Sypdercos. A Delica was nice. Overall, loved the Benchmade but a Mini Grip will run $62 or so, and a Delica $45 and a Leek (longer blade than the Scallion) will be $20 for a Nascar one - not thrilled with the look. Maybe I am shopping on price too much

So maybe it would help me to tell you what I like and dislike about some knives and then the men here can comment and I can go for it, as they say

Uses: not heavy duty for sure and mainly cut apples, open boxes, maybe cut rope, twine, string and packages from Walmart that are sealed plastic and scissors do not work on. I am thinking a 3 inch blade is tops and anything under 2.5 inches would be too small. Lighter it is, more likely I carry it around instead of leave it at home

Leek: Love the opening, and the Nascar one priced at $20 delivered would be a steel. Once it gets over $30, I am not all that thrilled with it unless it had the textured handles and it does not. For some reason, I dont like the aluminum or stainless handles.

Scallion: the black one is neat, but the blade looks short

Mini Griptilian: Love this one, but it is the highest price of the ones I am looking at. No drawbacks other than maybe that spring in the locking and opening system busts some how. Makes me feel like it will be easier to open and not pop open.

Persistence: Can get it for $25 delivered and it is a Spyderco. Drawback is they say it is heavy and has the least desireable steel of all I am looking at and may have to be sharpened the most.

Delica: Increase in price to $45 or so, and lightweight, but a larger blade (I think Persistence is 2.5 inches, and Delica is 3") and better steel and lighter.

So if anyone can comment on my comments or make suggestions, that would help. I know there are other great makers of knives, but I kinda wanna keep it between these three makers, and really, not all Benchmades but I did like the locking and opening system of the Mini Grip (it is on the Presidio but that price went up to $115)
Native: Got an offer of a used one for $40 and have not seen a pic yet, but maybe like the Delica.

Can get a Leek and a Perisistence for $45 combined, about the price of a Delica or Native, and be able to have two knives.

Last edited by a moderator:
In addition to cheese, wine, some shaving soap, and a strong sense of self-superiority, the French make an excellent pocket knife. Check out the Laguioles - you can get a light pocket knife that is easy to sharpen and a pleasure to carry for around 10 bucks or so.

S

Sam

I paypalled a guy $25 for a new Persistence. a 2.75 inch blade and a typical Sypderco. They say the steel is one more apt to resist corrosion and easier to keep sharo and stay sharp. I figured the $15 I would save over a used native could go to the Mini Grip, which I love the opening system, and so I am putting my Leopard knife I got in a trade up for sale. I can then see which I prefer and if I hate both, sell them or keep them.

What do you see yourself doing with the knife? Opening letters and cutting tape has different demands and needs than a HD work knife which may see some prying.

Generally stick with name brands, make sure it had a good reliable lock and a handle that is comfortable and works well for the intended use.

Me thinks csmorris knows a thing or two about knive:biggrin1:
Well if I get a knife question I will know who to ask:thumbup1:

I think you'll be pleased with the Spyderco. I carried a Delica II for probably 4 years, and then upgraded to the Police model, which I've had for about 5 years. Both have seen tons of use, and I've never had a problem with either one. Spydercos are pretty much bulletproof. They hold an edge forever, and are easy to get stupid sharp again in about 3 minutes with the Spyderco Tri-angle Sharpmaker sharpening system that I use. Of course, I'm not biased at all!:001_rolle

S

Sam

I found a Mini Ambush by Benchmade that is kinda like the Mini Griptilian. About half as much in price. Difference is Axis lock on Mini Grip vs. Rolling Lock on Ambush. Is this a signficant difference or should I just get the Mini Ambush as a second knife? I do love the Mini Grip of all the ones I have held in a 3 inch blade (Kershaw Blackout was nice, and a Delica was nice, but if I am spending over $40, I'd add another $20 and get the Mini Grip online). I can get the Ambush maybe for $30 online

Let me preface this post by saying I know nothing about knives so take anything I say with a grain of salt. OK with that said, what is wron about buying a Swiss Army knife? Sure purely as a cutting implement it is not great but as a tool it is extremely versatile. For instance, uncorking a wine bottle on a romantic picnic date or grooming your unibrow with the tweezers while camping. I don't know just a suggestion.

Top Bottom