What's new

Best knife under $35 or so

S

Sam

As a newbie, I was told that I really needed to go to a knife store and view them and hold them before trying to decide what knife to get as a first knife and only looking here or online. Walmart locally, or the one by my house, did not have a great selection and they were in sealed boxes. So next up, today, was Bass Pro Shop.

I liked the Kershaw line. Tried a Leek and liked it. Spring assist was very nice. Did not like the stainless handle, too slick and, well, not enough visually to differentiate the blade and handle. Maybe down the road.

One that suprised me: Benchmade Mini Griptilan. I liked it. Loved how the blade locked into place, loved the handle, loved the blade. I think I like that size over the regular Griptilan. Seems like for me, it might be easier to carry and, well, maybe I might get the advise to go the regular one, but I liked it.

Too bad they did not have Spyderco as I wanted to compare the Persistence and the Tenacious to it directly. They did not have a Blur or Scallion to compare.

So in the $40 or under range (and the JD2 that is for sale in composite blade for about $45 on the boards), can someone compare and contrast the knives I have looked at with the Spydercos as far as pros and cons? The Benchmades were sold there for $84 for the mini, and so that is gonna be out of what I want to spend on a first knife, and the Persistence might come in under $30 shipped, so I need someone's observations that have held and used these. I do like the Kershaw look, oh, and it also happened that the servicemen at the shop where I picked my car up flipped their Kershaws open and they were also on the smaller size like the Mini and they said they use them all the time and the spring assist busted on one and Kershaw sent a new one.

Wanna stay around 3 inches, or smaller, as the blades on the cheapies I have now are 3.5 and 4 inches. The Mini Grip can not be had for less than $50 online so it is gonna be out of my price range. Really like the Sypderco - nephew has them and I have seen them - and the Kershaws with the spring assist

Thoughts? Oh, and if you see a steal on the knife you think I would want, let me know. And if you think I really need the Leek, convince me that the stainless handle or annodized steel in black will not slip out of my hands and cut me

Would you consider a used knife? There are some excellent used and vintage ones on eBay for reasonable prices. It's obvious if a knife has been abused, so not much risk in going used/vintage if you're willing to clean and sharpen one.

What do you see yourself doing with the knife? Opening letters and cutting tape has different demands and needs than a HD work knife which may see some prying.

Generally stick with name brands, make sure it had a good reliable lock and a handle that is comfortable and works well for the intended use.

S

Sam

I see it as general usage - opening the carton of paper, that plastic thing, cutting strings and twines, opening packages, cutting wires, not really using it to pry.

Found a Leek with a Nascar theme on the handle for $20 shipped, and am thinking of getting that and a Tenacious for $27 shipped. I liked holding a Benchmade Mini Griptilan but it is $55 for just the one. A Scallion was nice, and I do like a textured handle

I have the Kershaw Leek, but with the G10 handle, and I love it. The G10 handle really improves the grip. It's over $40, but maybe they make another model in your range with that handle. If you do a Google search, you can generally find Kershaw and other brands at a substantial discount. I've bought Kershaw, Emerson, and SOG at close to 50% of retail with a bit of searching. Here's a photo of the Leek with G10 handle:

proxy.php

S

Sam

Andy, if I could get that knife at $25, Id do it

here is a list of some blems I have, any comments, all Kershaws:

1550 PE Blackouts blems $25

1620H3 Scallion all black Kershaw in outlined letters Blems $22 shipped

1620VIB Scallion Rainbow finish Blems$35

1660CB Composite Leek Blem $38 Shipped USA

1660VIB Rainbow finish Leek Blems$35 shipped

1660Pink pink leek blem $29

1665 Packrat blems $39

1820G10 Blem needs work G10 scales $37 shipped

1840 Plain Shallots Blems $35 shipped

1670BLK all black Plain edge $38

1745st black G10 ener-g II blems $30

I was thinking the $22 blem scallion, but with all black, it could scatch off? I can get a Nascar themed Leek for $20, but it has a anodized aluminum coating on the handle and then for $29 or so, a Spyderco Persistence.

Dont know how an all stainless handle will be. I found it nice, but see where it could slip. Held a Benchmade mini Griptilan and loved it, but heck, it was $85 and online cheapest is $55 and I can get a Leek and a Persistance combined and shipped cheaper than the Mini.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Sam

I do know that I have a 3.5 inch blade and it is plenty long. I guess for a carry all or EDC knife, 2.5 inch to 3.0 inch would be ideal for me

I have a Gerber, called a 'parrish bird knife' that is excellent. Light but sturdy and has a fairly unique locking mechanism, basically a liner lock and a rolling safety. Very sharp out of the box. They are discontinued, but show up on ebay for $20-25 or so, shipping included. I like them so much that I have bought 4-5 of them as I tend to lose pocketknives for some reason.

1670TBLKST all black Tanto tip $38

I use this knife as an EDC. It is a great knife for that duty, "Speed safe" assisted open and very grippy handle, (the pattern inlay is a rubbery grippy substance). The blade stays sharp under most light to medium duty activities. I have had this model for about a year, and looks close to new even though I am not particularly careful with it (ill try to snap a pic after work). I use other knives for heavier tasks, but this makes a good EDC.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

(Sorry for the quick pics, took these with my Blackberry on the sidewalk in the front of the house before coming in from work)

I also own the "Zing" #1735
http://www.thekershawstore.com/v/vspfiles/photos/K1735-2.jpg

and the OD-1 #1175 (which has a type of assisted open, but not based on a spring, more like a cam lever.)
http://www.thekershawstore.com/v/vspfiles/photos/K1775-2.jpg
Sorry no current pics of those.
You can't really go wrong with a Kershaw. I like many other brands as well, but these are hard to beat at their price for an American made knife.

Last edited:
For something to carry around the office, 4" closed is really about as big as i can deal with. I also detest pocket clips as they only add bulk and I can't really use them with dress trousers. I also prefer knives that I can open one-handed.

S

Sam

Colby, I love the handles. I think a textured handle will help in case I have a longer cutting session or my hands get wet or clamy. Kinda why I dont like the stainless Leek handles. I think a 2.50 to 3.00 inch blade is ideal for my first EDC>

Kinda like the Assisted Opening if I am going to get a Kershaw, as with that list, there are a few that are $38 and under. DOnt know about a Scallion vs. a Leek straight up, but I kinda like the straight across blade on the Leek rather than the upturn on the Scallion. Maybe someone can explain the pros and cons of each. While not what I desire, I can get a nascar edition Leek for $20.

I did like the feel of the Benchmade Mini Griptilian and tonight held a Presidio. The Presidio had no curve in the handle, but felt great, and was $115. I can find a Mini Grip for around $65 shipped, still almost twice what I want to spend. I was offered a used Spyderco Endura and a used Native, each $40. Held a serrated Delica and while nice, around $45 or so, I guess that opens up a whole bunch more knives. I liked the handles.

I guess a Tenacious and Persistence are gonna be on the heavy side and not as desireable steel, though I can get a Persistance for $25 shipped.

I like your knife, but it would be hard for me to sharpen. I also edited the list of the prices of the blades above to take out combination or serrated edges or anything over $45. If the blade on any of those is over 3.25 inches or it ways a ton, let me know so I can further narrow that list. Also, if it has the regular opening system, like a Spyderco, I like the Spyderco a lot.

So, any thoughts for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Colby, I love the handles. I think a textured handle will help in case I have a longer cutting session or my hands get wet or clamy. Kinda why I dont like the stainless Leek handles. I think a 2.50 to 3.00 inch blade is ideal for my first EDC>

Kinda like the Assisted Opening if I am going to get a Kershaw, as with that list, there are a few that are $38 and under. DOnt know about a Scallion vs. a Leek straight up, but I kinda like the straight across blade on the Leek rather than the upturn on the Scallion. Maybe someone can explain the pros and cons of each. While not what I desire, I can get a nascar edition Leek for $20.

I did like the feel of the Benchmade Mini Griptilian and tonight held a Presidio. The Presidio had no curve in the handle, but felt great, and was $115. I can find a Mini Grip for around $65 shipped, still almost twice what I want to spend. I was offered a used Spyderco Endura and a used Native, each $40. Held a serrated Delica and while nice, around $45 or so, I guess that opens up a whole bunch more knives. I liked the handles.

I guess a Tenacious and Persistence are gonna be on the heavy side and not as desireable steel, though I can get a Persistance for $25 shipped.

I like your knife, but it would be hard for me to sharpen. I also edited the list of the prices of the blades above to take out combination or serrated edges or anything over $45. If the blade on any of those is over 3.25 inches or it ways a ton, let me know so I can further narrow that list. Also, if it has the regular opening system, like a Spyderco, I like the Spyderco a lot.

So, any thoughts for me?

One thing I'd suggest, especially if you are going with a shorter blade, is to stick with a plain edge, and stay away from serrated or partially serrated. Unless you think you'll need a serrated blade for certain jobs, the straight edge is more useful, and it is much easier to hone. Plus, you will have more of the blade's length to use. The serrated part of the blade is used to tear things rather than make smooth cuts, and it can take up as much as half the length of the blade. Another trade off is the tanto blade. While the tanto shape results in a stronger blade, the trade-off is that there is less cutting surface along the length of the blade. Just some things to think about. Again, for $37.95, this Kershaw with G10 grips doesn't look like a bad deal, and the blade has a straight edge around 4".
http://www.knifesupply.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=KS1820G10

Last edited:
One thing I'd suggest, especially if you are going with a shorter blade, is to stick with a plain edge, and stay away from serrated or partially serrated. Unless you think you'll need a serrated blade for certain jobs, the straight edge is more useful, and it is much easier to hone. Plus, you will have more of the blade's length to use. The serrated part of the blade is used to tear things rather than make smooth cuts, and it can take up as much as half the length of the blade. Another trade off is the tanto blade. While the tanto shape results in a stronger blade, the trade-off is that there is less cutting surface along the length of the blade. Just some things to think about. Again, for $37.95, this Kershaw with G10 grips doesn't look like a bad deal, and the blade has a straight edge around 4".
http://www.knifesupply.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=KS1820G10

This is very true. I do find that I cut a lot of things that the serrations help with, (rope, rubber tube, branches, and bandage fabrics for our horses. (I will not work around the horses with out a blade that is at least partially serrated, ropes tangled around you or your horse need to be cut fast)) but you will need to decide what you plan to cut. The knife that Andy mentions above is great looking, I wouldn't count it out just yet. I wish that I could offer you more advice on the Spyderco, but I have not really had many, and have not found many that I liked for my needs (not saying they aren't good, they are great knives with many loyal users) and I have only ever had one Benchmade, one that I was given as a young scout, and I beat the dickens out of it, and have lost it since. But my next purchase is going to be a Benchmade.

I have just taken pictures of some of my other favorite EDC knives, and have loaded them to this Photobucket Folder The password for this folder is explorerkid all lowercase. I did it this way due to the fact that I took a fair amount of pics, and didn't want to waste bandwidth from B&B. They are labeled, with the knife model. (click the View Grid option toward the lower right corner to see the labels better, as the photos have gone out of order and won't let me fix it.) I hope this helps, but in the long run I know very little, and am always learning as well. PM me if you have any questions about the knives in the link, I will be glad to answer any questions I can. I don't think that you can really go wrong with any of the models that you are looking at, but I wouldn't settle for a knife if that is something that you don't really prefer, just based on price. I also find that I like different blade shapes and edge lengths for different jobs, but that all depends on what you prefer, and your needs

Sorry for the ramblings in this post, I'm tired, and has been a long day. (I will eventually change that link to a better option, but it was fast for tonight.)

Last edited:
Top Bottom