What's new

best Jinhao pen

They're all pretty similar from a quality perspective, I'd think. I like the ones with dragons on them. :thumbup: Especially the ones with the #6 replaceable nibs (thicker handles), so you can substitute a Goulet #6 JoWo 2-tone nib in EF with the stock broad nib.

All mine leaked around the grip section, so I threw them away. Fun to try nib grinding with, though. I'd take a Pilot 78G or Metropolitan over a Jinhao any day.

-Andy

I'll go against the grain here. I'm fairly fond of these Jinhao pens. I've found them to be much better than expected. I'm not sure why there is so much hate on these imports. I'm expecting there is a large group of people who expect that -- due to the cost -- these HAVE to be poor quality.

I've heard complaints about the finish, the nib, the flow, the shipping. With the exception of shipping, I've had the same issue with other non-import pens.

I'm not here to argue these points with anyone -- its impossible to ignore the value. I can have a different pretty pen in my pocket each day of the week for the cost of one "other pen". Its fun to have a pen color coordinate with your outfit..

Its strange -- the one I havent been enamored with is the one many others are -- The 616 by Hero. As far as Jinhao specifically - They are all pretty descent. x450 and x750 are good -- flashy - medium writers. Many folks say the replacement with anohter #6 nib from the likes of Goulet will make this a great pen. I havent made the leap yet -- but am thinking about it.

What style calls to you?

I have a Jinhao x750 in black with a Goulet 1.5 italic nib - once I loaded that nib on there, it became one of my favorites.

With the Goulet nib on there, I really have not seen any quality or performance probs, and it is a regular in my rotation with my Lamy safaris and my Pelikan M200

I have a Jinhao x750 in black with a Goulet 1.5 italic nib - once I loaded that nib on there, it became one of my favorites.

With the Goulet nib on there, I really have not seen any quality or performance probs, and it is a regular in my rotation with my Lamy safaris and my Pelikan M200

I put a Goulet Fine nib in my X750 and I love it now as well.

I dipped my toe in to the Jinhao pool and really liked what I discovered. So I went on a bender and got an assorted bunch. The pens in the picture below are the ones that I have in my pen roll today - sorry for the crappy cell phone pix.

I have a bunch of X750s and I ground them to a cursive italic -- the one in the picture has the factory medium nib. They have a nice heft and balance and put down a wet medium line. They are some of my favorite pens.

The 15 is an interesting looking pen. Some people say that it mimics the Waterman Serenite but I wouldn't know. These have the smaller#5 nib and there is also one with a hooded nib that I would imagine puts down a finer line.

I'm a sucker for natural wood so I really like the 8812 with wood over a metal barrel. They are a touch lighter than the X750. These also have #5 nibs. The cap doesn't post very well on this pen but I don't post any pen so it didn't matter to me.

The pen below is an 8812 but with a carbon fiber mimicking acrylic shell instead of wood.

Finally, the 500 is almost like a gold trim version of the 8812 but with an acrylic body.

I really didn't care for the X450 because of the weight, balance and triangular grip section.

So far I haven't had any issues with leaking in any of my Jinhaos.

The best Jinhao? That's a matter of personal preference and taste -- like most things in B&B.

$IMG_20150401_115536368.jpg$IMG_20150401_115841477.jpg

Last edited:
The massive Jinhao 159 is now available in a bright orange and a bright yellow, in addition to the classic black. (see Goulet Pens for photos). Interesting, but even with my large hands, I'm not tempted by them.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I have three x750s, one of which is a re-branded Bulow. Two of them leaked badly at first, but re-seating the nib and feed fixed that, no further problems. +1 to replacing the nib with one from Goulet, Knox or Nemosine, they come with a medium that to me is more like a broad.

I'm not sure why there is so much hate on these imports.

Mine were great initially, but all 4 of the X750's I bought leaked between the chrome ring nearest the nib and the grip section above that chrome ring. There was nothing I could do to fix it really, and I didn't care to waste my time on those pens, considering my sub-$10 investment a couple years ago. That's why I advise people to buy 1 78G, instead of buying 2 or 3 Jinahao/Bulow pens.

I feel I got my money's worth, though, since I learned a lot about nib grinding, mainly that it's not something I really want to pursue further. :smile:

Maybe I just got a bad batch. If this thread is any indication, it sounds like there are more good than bad produced these days. I still can't recommend them to others in good conscience, though; especially those new to fountain pens.

-Andy

I've been thinking about trying one of these out. For the price if a cup of coffee, I have little to lose.

I HAD a 159 - to big and heavy - gave it away. (It was PIF'd to me) I have a 599 currently (smoke demo) and I like it much better than the bigger heavier 159. (but not nearly as well as some of my other pens)

maybe best school pen the new jinhao 886 // like small 159

"JINHAO 886 is the 2015 listing of the latest products.
Design principles and has been selling the same design JINHAIO 159,
It is easy to write better, hand dexterity. Add the popular elements of fashion.
Arbitrary length 12.5CM into your pocket.
It is an upgraded version of JINHAO159"

Attachments

• $3.jpg
    $3.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 107
  • $2.jpg
    $2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 108
  • $1.jpg
    $1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
some others // #5 feed and nib

Attachments

• $8861.jpg
    $8861.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 93
  • $8862.jpg
    $8862.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 94
  • $2222.jpg
    $2222.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
same new 886 ballpen and rollerball

Attachments

• $223.jpg
    $223.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 79
  • $224.jpg
    $224.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 79
  • $225.jpg
    $225.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 79
After reading all this, I just ordered a 159 with some Kaweco international cartridges. When I'm playing around with different ink samples, I prefer to fill/clean empty cartridges rather than the converters, particularly squeeze converters. I can see if they're clean and can set the just cleaned one out to dry, fill one of the spares, and immediately use the pen.

Top Bottom