What's new

Best Espresso machine under $150

Let me start by saying that I am using the term 'best' loosely.

My wife and I have been using a Cuisinart coffee maker for the past few years. She really like the ease of it and I could take it or leave it. Well, it no longer works(fuse or something), and I would like to get my wife(and I) a Espresso machine for Christmas. I know its a few months early but if I start looking now I may find a great deal.

We both enjoy Latte's, Cappuccino's, Espresso's etc.......and we arent all that fancy when it comes to coffee but we do love our coffee :)

I figured I would get an espresso machine because my wife goes crazy when we are at her parents and her father in law makes us espresso and lattes using his Saeco espresso machine. I think he has the Incanto Deluxe or something very similar....and well they are waaay out of our price range.

I need some suggestions on what would be a great first espresso machine. We would use it a couple times in the morning and a couple times after work I am sure. So it will get used quite a bit. A steam/froth thingy would be great if it was part of it, but not a deal breaker.

Thanks guys, I searched the thread its its amazing the set-ups you guys have.

Cheers

Froogle_Jimmy

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I got a Saeco for $300 at the bay. I've been using it for 5 months now, no issues and excellent coffee. I used to have a Krupp before that worked well but it took ages to get the parts. I ended up buying a new one (the Saeco Aroma). I saw a few reviews on the coffee forum where they recommended the Saeco Poemia is closer to your price range.

I honestly have to say that when I was looking at how the machine was made (Aroma vs. Poemia) the Aroma looked 10x better than the Poemia, that's why I bought that one.

I got a Saeco for $300 at the bay. I've been using it for 5 months now, no issues and excellent coffee. I used to have a Krupp before that worked well but it took ages to get the parts. I ended up buying a new one (the Saeco Aroma). I saw a few reviews on the coffee forum where they recommended the Saeco Poemia is closer to your price range.

I honestly have to say that when I was looking at how the machine was made (Aroma vs. Poemia) the Aroma looked 10x better than the Poemia, that's why I bought that one.

Cool. I hadnt seen these before. The poemia is way closer to my price range and I hear great things about Saeco.....Its on the list!!!

Thanks

This is not what you are asking about, but you might also consider a stovetop espresso maker, also known as a Moca Pot. If you have an electric kettle the Presso/Rok hand powered machine can make a good shot.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I will look into it!

I had one of those. Moka pots make great coffee but you need the smaller ones. I found that a 12 espresso cups moka pots does not make a coffee as good as the 3 cups. But you might find a different opinion on that.

Also, you won't get any crema with a moka pot. If you do, it won't be much compared to the espresso machine. It is, however, a cheaper alternative.

$150 is really tough unless you're willing to go used/refurb and even then I'm not sure there are good options out there. That budget limits one to the machines sold by the big box stores which tend to do a very poor job and just end up frustrating the user unless one just has an extremely low bar for espresso quality. I chewed through several such machines at a rate of about one a year. They're all very cheaply built (nature of that price point) and don't stand up well to twice a day usage in my experience. I eventually ponied up for a proper entry level espresso machine about a decade ago. Cost $450 at the time (still sold today but at nearly $700 and no one recommends it) but gave me 12 years of service. Just upgraded to a much higher end machine last year and it is much easier to use with better results and significant improvements to consistency. Anyway -- expect entry machines to start around the $300 range.

More importantly, what are you going to do for a grinder? You definitely cannot make espresso without fresh beans ground for each use. Preground coffee beans end up stale very quickly. $150 doesn't even really cover a grinder suitable for espresso unless one goes with a hand grinder. An espresso grinder will also start in the $300 range.

The prices I'm citing above may seem high but I wouldn't even recommend starting with a $600 setup as the lower end equipment is generally just frustrating to use with very inconsistent results. If one is willing to put in the time and effort once can mitigate that a bit but it's still a hassle. I'd strongly recommend anyone looking to start out in espresso to go with the Crossland CC1 and Vario but that's over 6x your budget. However, it's the least expensive setup that can produce good, consistent results with the least hassle.

All that said, for your budget I'd also suggest a moka pot with a good grinder. With any coffee the grinder is very important so don't skimp on it or leave it as an afterthought.

She really like the ease of it and I could take it or leave it. Well, it no longer works(fuse or something), and I would like to get my wife(and I) a Espresso machine for Christmas. I know its a few months early but if I start looking now I may find a great deal.
Superautos produce mediocre espresso but if one likes what they produce and values convenience above all else then they can be a good fit. It's a bit out of your stated budget but Nespresso also has a lot of fans, is convenient and you wouldn't need a grinder.

Last edited:
$150 is really tough unless you're willing to go used/refurb and even then I'm not sure there are good options out there. That budget limits one to the machines sold by the big box stores which tend to do a very poor job and just end up frustrating the user unless one just has an extremely low bar for espresso quality. I chewed through several such machines at a rate of about one a year. They're all very cheaply built (nature of that price point) and don't stand up well to twice a day usage in my experience. I finally ponied up for a proper espresso machine about a decade ago (which has since been replaced). Cost $450 at the time but gave me 12 years of service. Just upgraded to a much higher end machine last year and it is much easier to use with much better results and consistency. Anyway -- expect entry machines to start around $300 range.

More importantly, what are you going to do for a grinder? You definitely cannot make espresso without fresh beans ground for each use. Preground coffee beans end up stale very quickly. $150 doesn't even really cover a grinder suitable for espresso unless one goes with a hand grinder. An espresso grinder will also start in the $300 range.

For your budget I'd also suggest a moka pot.

Superautos produce mediocre espresso but if one likes what they produce and values convenience above all else then they can be a good fit. It's a bit out of your stated budget but Nespresso also has a lot of fans, is convenient and you wouldn't need a grinder.
Cheap auto grinder :(

Cheap auto grinder :(

Spend your money on a grinder not on the brew.

An awful espresso machine with a good grinder will make better coffee than an expensive espresso machine and a poor quality grinder

With espresso it is the consistency of the grind and tamp that makes it sing in the cup, not the part that boils the water.

Spend your money on a grinder not on the brew.

An awful espresso machine with a good grinder will make better coffee than an expensive espresso machine and a poor quality grinder

With espresso it is the consistency of the grind and tamp that makes it sing in the cup, not the part that boils the water.
What's a grinder you would recommend?

No such thing...spend the money and get a commercial grade machine if you ant the best and most consistent coffee you can enjoy.

Try an Astoria, Caggia or other Italian machine. Those guys know their stuff

Ive got an Astoria per mantels plumbed in and enjoy the best coffee time and time again

I've tried the little cheapies and the more expensive Saeco and have got rid of them all.

What's a grinder you would recommend?

As a starter espresso grinder I would not recommend anything short of a Mazzer Mini for home use.

Mazzer espresso grinders are commercial grinders so they are a once a lifetime purchase so don't let the price scare you. Just like wet shaving, getting a good espresso grinder to start off with will save you $$$$. One exceptional espresso grinder is going to be a lot cheaper than running through a half dozen mediocre grinders to end up at where you should have started from

What I have is a highly (self) modified Super Jolly for espresso. Super Jolly is on the right in the pic and the silver box on the left is the single/double dose timer which controls the Super Jolly

For pour over grinding I have a Forte BG (steel burrs) and a Preciso with a Esatto weight based control attachment

proxy.php

proxy.php

No such thing...spend the money and get a commercial grade machine if you ant the best and most consistent coffee you can enjoy.

Try an Astoria, Caggia or other Italian machine. Those guys know their stuff

Ive got an Astoria per mantels plumbed in and enjoy the best coffee time and time again

I've tried the little cheapies and the more expensive Saeco and have got rid of them all.
Thanks for the advice
As a starter espresso grinder I would not recommend anything short of a Mazzer Mini for home use.

Mazzer espresso grinders are commercial grinders so they are a once a lifetime purchase so don't let the price scare you. Just like wet shaving, getting a good espresso grinder to start off with will save you $$$$. One exceptional espresso grinder is going to be a lot cheaper than running through a half dozen mediocre grinders to end up at where you should have started from

What I have is a highly (self) modified Super Jolly for espresso. Super Jolly is on the right in the pic and the silver box on the left is the single/double dose timer which controls the Super Jolly

For pour over grinding I have a Forte BG (steel burrs) and a Preciso with a Esatto weight based control attachment

proxy.php

proxy.php
I will look into grinders too. I can see this is going to save me as much money as wet shaving ;)

I will look into grinders too. I can see this is going to save me as much money as wet shaving ;)

If you want to truely "save money" and still end up with a decent enough espresso grinder get a Hario Mini hand mill. I can get just as exceptional pulls using either the Hario hand mill or the Super Jolly.

With espresso you are only grinding 6-8 grams for a single shot and 12 -18 grams for a double shot so a hand mill is not that rough on you. Now if you are grinding for a full pot of pour over or dripp (40+ grams of coffee) a hand grinder can burn you out fast. When we travel in our little RV I take a 6 cup Chemex (makes 4 "american size cups) and a modified Kyocera hand grinder. I grind 32 grams for 4 cups and it DOES take a while and grinding that much at one sitting is tiring but I won't take a bulky electric and no way is a whirly blade is going to touch my home roasted beans, even when traveling.

Hario Mini

proxy.php

Mini and Kyocera for size comparison

proxy.php

If you want to truely "save money" and still end up with a decent enough espresso grinder get a Hario Mini hand mill. I can get just as exceptional pulls using either the Hario hand mill or the Super Jolly.

With espresso you are only grinding 6-8 grams for a single shot and 12 -18 grams for a double shot so a hand mill is not that rough on you. Now if you are grinding for a full pot of pour over or dripp (40+ grams of coffee) a hand grinder can burn you out fast. When we travel in our little RV I take a 6 cup Chemex (makes 4 "american size cups) and a modified Kyocera hand grinder. I grind 32 grams for 4 cups and it DOES take a while and grinding that much at one sitting is tiring but I won't take a bulky electric and no way is a whirly blade is going to touch my home roasted beans, even when traveling.

Hario Mini

proxy.php

Mini and Kyocera for size comparison

proxy.php
Cool. I am going to check out all these suggestions!!!

The Hario mini gets great reviews and is a good price as well
Thanks

Last edited:
I've got the Mazzer grinder, fully digital and fully programable for pre set quanties. One of the best investments I've made to make life very enjoyable when couple with my Astoria Perla coffee machine.

It's tough to find a new machine for $150 that will make traditional grind dose tamp espresso. Most in this price range use pressurized filter baskets so the perfect grind is not something needed to pull a shot. Most are weak steamers too, so big milk drinks will take a while. On the plus side, you do not need the perfect shot to make a decent milk drink, a good shot will do fine. The guts of the thermoblock machines $150 - $50 are pretty much the same too. You pay more for plastic coated with brushed silver veneer than plain plastic but they will make the same pressurized shot.

Spend $75 - $100 in a Capresso Infinity or Baratza Encore and you will have a better grinder than you need for this price range of espresso maker and your pour over coffee will thank you too.

Since you are frugal you might google electric hand frothing of microwaved milk for faster big milk drinks - what you want can be done on the cheap but expect to put in a little more work and to scale back expectations a bit - it's where most of us started and we survived...

The Saeco machines are your best bet in my opinion in the price range. I know two people who each have one working fine after 8+ years. In your pice range seattlecoffeegear.com has them refurbished.

I'd recommend pairing it with a Baratza Encore grinder.

I've had 2 Saeco machines they do the job but the coffee is no where near the quality of a high end machine.

A better option in the lower price range is a Sunbeam cafe series if they have them where you're from.

Good luck.

The Saeco Poemia refurb at $50 is as good as it gets in N. America, same type machine as the old DeLonghi Bar 14 - why not get the Saeco Auto refuurb from SCG and call it a day for less than $200?

Top Bottom