What's new

Best DE blades for a thick beard and sensitive skin

I'm in the same boat as you and I find the best blade for me to be the feather closely followed by Gillette yellows (sharpedge.) Astras also perform very well and are quite a bit safer and easier to use than the feathers. You might also want to think about trying some pre-shave oils. Many people on here will tell you that they find oils useless and that proper lather and prep will do just as good; but as a person with very tough facial hair I find that they do make a difference. But, as always, YMMV. Also, considering that you're new, there is a good chance that your issues are down to poor technique and prep; make sure you take a hot shower beforehand and take the time to really work the lather into your beard. I personally cleanse my face beforehand as well with an exfoliating cleanser and find that to make a fair bit of difference.

same boat for me, I am on a two blade system. I take most of my beard down with a WTG and XTG with a precision red or a Gillette Silver Blue. then one beard 85% or 90% gone i change to feather or astra that hardly does any work and stays real sharp. the second blades does almost no cutting and stays very sharp. it works.

I have very sensitive skin(fire accident when I was younger), and I condition my beard while I shower, I allow my brush to soak in hot water while I shower, and I face lather with Arko or Proraso, and I work it in very well, then I attack with a sharp blade like a feather, personna Lab, or GSB, two passes with some buffing and I get awesome shaves

I tried cold water and not showering before shaving but it was like trying to slice through copper wires, I ended up with irritation and some residual stubble I couldn't get rid of

I'm still very new to this, but I also have sensitive skin and a tough beard. My first shave was with a Wilkinson Sword and it wasn't that great. It wasn't until I loaded in an Astra SP that i got that smooth comfortable shave. No irritation and BBS...I was shocked. With cartridges it was one or the other, no irritation or a smooth shave. Three passes though, I take it slow getting the beard reduced. I'll have to give the two blade system a go though and see if it makes a difference. Good luck with your shaves!

Get yourself a blade sampler. It's the best way to find out what works best for you.

FWIW, the blades that work best for me are Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharps (India greens), Personna Med Preps and Labs, Lord Racers, Russian Perma-Sharps, and Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (yellows).

I'm also new to DE shaving and have an extremely tough beard that grows in multiple directions. I change blades after 2 shaves, because I haven't yet found one that can get through 3 without dulling out and causing razor burn. Like many others here, I've had good luck with Personna med preps, Feather, and Astra SP. Derbys were just not sharp enough to give me a close shave without tugging and irritation.

I'm going to try some of the recommendations that others have posted here about the Gillette 7 O'Clock PermaSharp greens and SharpEdge yellows. I found 5 packs of these on eBay for $2.50.

It definitely does seems that a sharper blade is a better thing for tough beards. I've also read that others with tough beards have had good luck more aggressive razors, like a slant, but that seems a little intimidating for me right now. Still using my Weishi that I started with, and getting much better results now than I ever did with expensive cartridges or disposables.

Last edited:
I really enjoy Astra SP and Feathers too. I would give Astra the slight edge based on affordability and consistency blade-to-blade. I can't recall getting a dud Astra yet. Feathers once in a while are overly sharp and lack the corresponding smoothness.

I really enjoy Astra SP and Feathers too. I would give Astra the slight edge based on affordability and consistency blade-to-blade. I can't recall getting a dud Astra yet. Feathers once in a while are overly sharp and lack the corresponding smoothness.

This is completely true. I thought just because feather was super sharp, that they were the best in the business. But IMHO, feathers don't last more than 3 shaves with my thick/dense/coarse whiskers. I started using Astra SP and they are far more consistent and last me at least 6 shaves. I really love Astra blades. :thumbup1:

Glad to find this topic.

Sensitive skin here with tough beard. Strangely R41 is the only razor that does not give me razor burn.

Tried KAI blades, so smooth but sharp you can feel them all over your face.

Tried Shark Chrome but found them tugging the hair. Will try them with R41 again.

For me, Polsilver, Gillette Blue, Astra SP are very good for my face, but if you dont be careful especially with the beast, it will slice you like cheese. NO pressure at all and then you will achieve the BBS. Also found that if I chase for BBS I get irritation and nicks.

The blade I've used in my R41 v2013 razor for my tough beard with sensitive skin as (YMMV) which are:-

Astra Superior Platinum
Gillette Nacet
Gillette Silver Blue
Kai Stainless Steel
Perma-Sharp Super
Polsilver Super Iridium
Rapira Platinum Lux
Vintage Polsilver Stainless (brown)

Glad to find this topic.

Sensitive skin here with tough beard. Strangely R41 is the only razor that does not give me razor burn.

Tried KAI blades, so smooth but sharp you can feel them all over your face.

Tried Shark Chrome but found them tugging the hair. Will try them with R41 again.

For me, Polsilver, Gillette Blue, Astra SP are very good for my face, but if you dont be careful especially with the beast, it will slice you like cheese. NO pressure at all and then you will achieve the BBS. Also found that if I chase for BBS I get irritation and nicks.
Hah! I consider that a KAI "feature".

That's actually what I like about KAI; I can very accurately and precisely position the blade. I know exactly where it is, and what it's doing. I always feel it on my face.

In that way, it's kind of the antithesis to GSB, which is so smooth I can hardly feel it at all!

(all the above, in relation to using my EJ DE89)

Same here, coarse beard and sensitive skin. I use a Feather blade in my Slim. What's good about the Slim Adjustable is I can dial it down to 1 for my Adam's apple area and the Feather's sharpness will still do the cut . I think most guys with sensitive skin should try out an adjustable razor.

Ok. Im locking it. Its KAI & Gillette Nacet. End of story.

Oh my God those Nacet, where the crocodile is being cut by the blade. THAT.

I only head shave and have very sensitive skin. I find it's the prep that can make or break a great shave.hot head..proraso white preshave..proraso white tube cream..an aggressive razor.my fav is my slim on setting 6 or my single ring old type.each with a feather blade.i tried astra's and it looked like i smashed my head through i glass window😂🤣😂..live,learn and shave!!each journey is different..trial and error

Top Bottom