What's new

Best DE blades for a thick beard and sensitive skin

Im new to shaving with a DE razor. I have sensitive skin and a thick beard. Any blade recomendations? Right now im using the Derby's that came with my razor. They work pretty well, however i want to see if theres something better.

Which razor are you using? Having also a thick beard and sensitive skin I find that the sharper the blade, the better shave I get, using Feather's or Astra SP's.

I also have a heavy beard and sensitive skin. Blades are very much a personal matter - no two beards and faces are the same. For me, the best blades so far have been the Personna Med/Lab blades, Personna Reds, Bolzano, and Gillette Yellows. However, these may not work for you.

Some recommend Feather blades. But for me I can only get two shaves from them and, as a result, they are not a good choice for me. However, they may work for you. That's why I recommend you
try a sample pack and add to it and see what works best for you.

I also started on derbys. They're ok, but I'm sure you can get something a bit sharper and smoother for your beard/skin type. My usual blade is a med prep coupled with a Gillette NEW long tooth open comb. The blade is sharp and smooth, but I find I only get 2 shaves before the blade dulls and gives me a bit of irritation.

I recently read on noahpictures' shave off thread that he palm strops his blades and gets as many as 9 shaves out of a med prep. Maybe his beard isn't as tough as mine, but I'm going to give that a go and see how long they last.

P-red, feather, med prep, Gillette blue, Gillette black, Gillette perma, Astra sp, cheapest P-red& Astra ~17.00 for 100. most expensive being Gillette blacks at $50 for 100

I use Feather in a Feather or red Personna. The Derby don't last more then one shave for me. I have a thick coarse beard that is prone to in-growns and these razors work beautifully :0)

For me personally I like to replace my blades every two shaves to insure I have a sharp blade every time. I like Feathers, but the cost is a little high per blade ($.29 each, is it really?) to replace them so frequently. I have had good luck with Treet Dura Sharp, Voskhod in the sub .$20 range. 7 O'clock yellow and Personna Med are also fantastic, but again they are some of the pricier blades.

I use Feathers. I have a thick beard and sensitve skin. I can get (so far) 6 shaves out of one.

Im going to go out on a limb and say that the sharper a blade is, the better it is.

I have the same issue, strong beard and sensitive skin. I use a EJ DE89 as well but am still new with DE shaving. i used straights before but got the knack real quick with DE. So far i have used ASTRA and it is okay. I have used Feathers today and wow, big difference. Shaves great but no clue how long they last though. With the Astra i used a blade for about a 4-5 shaves.

Also prep is really important for sensitive skin. I would recommend Proraso prep/post creams. Not a fan of the shave oils :thumbdown

Good speed!!

I just started back into DE shaving and have a similar condition as you. I am testing blades right now and started with Merkur and found they gave be burn and were not very sharp. I moved to Derbys, the one you are using and found them to give me a smooth, very close and, burn free shave. Next I'll try the feathers and I suspect them to do even better than the Derbys but cost a little more. I managed to find a pack of 100 Derby Extras for $7.93! (I thought I ordered 10 I got 100!) I plan on testing Crystals also, just for curiosity purposes. From everything I read it's better to sample several, or get a sample pack.

My skin isn't really all that sensitive but my beard is an old growth forest. About the only blades that work for me are Feather, Super Iridiums, and now the New Polsilver.

Coarse beard guy here, too. I keep settling on Feathers. I also like Kai, and Astra Superior Stainless.

However, I keep coming back to the Feathers, over and over again.

My general rotation is Iridium Supers, Perma-Sharps, and Feathers. None last me more than four shaves. I couldn't imagine getting more than that with any blade...usually 2-3.

Top Bottom