What's new

Best cheap meal you ever had?

Back in 96b had shut down my business, and drove OPTR for couple of years. Truck Stop are not for big meals, unhealthy food, and there only thing they do is feed you fast. Was in South Saint Paul Minnesota, at 76 Truck Stops for night, and fuel. Hit the restaurant they had sign "THE STEAK" about $7.00, it came with potatoes, salad, and cup of coffee. Stake was giant Rib Eye, and yummy. Order shoes string potatoes, weak and crispy. Everything was great. Then the surprise was waitress said what kind of pie, I said I am full. she said DESSERT is Included, with or without Scoop of Vanilla Ice Cream. Wonderful meal, never went back there again.:cursing:

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Is the Court Street Dairy Lunch still there?

Remember back in The Old Days (tm) when we didn't have Google so we'd just sit around and wonder about stuff and talk about that all evening? :)

Yeah, me too.

My Google-Fu is good enough to find some indications that it's still there, with a caveat. They evidently have a presence on MyFacePlaceSpaceBook but I deleted that years ago. The local fish wrapp...I mean, newspaper the Statesman-Journal has a few stories about them but they want to be paid for having written them. Go figure. :rolleyes:

So. It appears that the original Court Street Dairy Lunch, which opened in 1929, closed down back in '21 or '22 due to the last owner having some health and financial problems. From smoke trails in the Internet I deduce that some kind soul reopened the restaurant in late '22 and it may in fact still be open. Further than that I cannot say based on free-access information.

Makes an interesting puzzlement! And hey, diner food. So I'll check it out and see if it's all that and a sack of chips. Be a good excuse to spend a few hours farting around downtown Salem checking out one of my favourite used book stores (The Book Bin) and maybe also hitting Allan Brothers for a semi-sweet Double Beanery and a slice of cake.

Never know what'll turn up! Thanks for the tip. I'll see if I can grab some snaps to share, if it's still there.

O.H.

Although Singapore is famed for being the most expensive city in the world there are a number of hawker centres, where (usually) old people serve up cheap local fare, mystery meat in brown goo generally but it's about 2 - 3 Sing dollars and at lunch times the places are packed. I don't eat there as it is pretty rubbish food, no aircon and nowhere to sit unless you have 'choped' a seat with a small pack of tissues - it is a thing here.

The ORIGINAL Tommy's.

Beverly and Rampart. Downtown L.A.

Back when it was outside only and building a chili burger was a juggling act that all happened in mid air.

Attachments

• tommys-hamburgers-original-3676736576.jpg
    tommys-hamburgers-original-3676736576.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 4

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Been a few years since high school for this boy (koff) but I remember Bob's 19-Cent Hamburgers. The business sign was pretty much the entire menu. :) A few years later in university for the first time, and hitting Bob's for a buck's-worth of burgers before attending a dinner party given by friends was de rigeur. The idea was we were all poor, so showing up partially full would insure they'd have some food left over for lunches later after the party.

O.H.

Top Bottom