What's new

Best Brush for $65

V

VR6ofpain

Ya I helped my wife justify a purchase of a Coach bag today, while shopping at the outlets. It was 50% off the outlet price (which was about 20% off retail). So it was much less than retail. Still my reasons were two fold. She deserves it and it can be used to justify razor purchases.

Wife: "You have too many razors. You don't need to buy another."
Me: "Well you bought that Coach bag!"
Wife: "Ok, you are right."

Let's see if it actually pans out!

it means she has spent three times that on clothes, shoes and other girly sh*t and she's got the guilts.

Spend whatever you like on the brush, and I bet after it arrives you will start seeing new clothes, shoes and other girly sh*t, followed by the lines, "What, this old thing? I've had it for ages...."

Knowing this, you will feel comfortable in having spent more than she allowed and she will know it but can't say a damned word about it.

Good luck old boy!

So that everyone is aware, I emailed Raven about a brush I had made which is for sale. Hope I didn't break any rules (again), but if I did, I'll apologize in advance.

For bowl lathering, I'd opt for a QED Select brush (2420 or 3420).
For face lathering, I'd choose a Rooney 3/1.
Both excellent brushes; I sold the QED & kept the Rooney 'cause I'm a face-latherer.

2420 if you like it a little scrubbier (but still plenty soft).

Where is a good place to buy a rooney 3/1? and how high should the loft be? also what should the knot size be for a good soap brush??

Where is a good place to buy a rooney 3/1? and how high should the loft be? also what should the knot size be for a good soap brush??

If you need to be under $65, classicshaving sells the silvertip. I like mine 50-55mm, but it's really up to your preference. They can pick one out if you email/call them.

If you can go to $75, vintageblades sells the super (whiter tips).

Cheers.

J

How would the medium EJ Super compete for $50? I too am either interested in this or the BK4 but havent heard much on how the EJ compares to others in this price range (under $65). Comments?

Just check the B/S/T religiously.

I've only bought a handful of my shave gear new.
Almost everything else (soaps, creams, brushes, razors) is used and purchased off the B/S/T.

If you have a limit of $65 -
you really can't beat a penworks brush. I own 2 of his silvertips, and they are incredible!

He is the best brush for the price in my opinion! (those would be great @ double the price!)

Keep your eye on the British based websites such as executive shaving or the gentleman shop. The pound is going like a lead balloon right now.

I'll add my support for QED Select, the 24mm Best in particular. I face lather soaps and have gone back to the bowl for creams. Works great both ways and is a gem for the price.

Top Bottom