What's new

Best blade to use in a red tip

What is the best blade to use in a red tip razor.

Would like best mild best med and best aggressive.

Also I have this sample pack my mother got me should be here tomorrow.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00XLMZ0LI?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image

Which would be the best blades to try in the red tip from those. With your suggestion let me know if the blade should be mild med or aggressive. This will give me a starting point and allow me to see how mild blade feels vs med blade vs aggressive. Just so I have an idea and can start learning.

Blades can be graded on degree of smoothness and on degree of sharpness, but not on aggressiveness. That's a factor of the razor and the user. You have what some might term an "aggressive" shaver. If you use a lot of pressure, or the incorrect shaving angle, you are going to have an aggressive shave, no matter what blade you use. So pick one, go carefully. You'll find one in your sample pack that will agree with your face.

Blades are very subjective; what I like you may not. Plus, what you hate today you may love when you get more experience. Just pick one tuck and stick with it for a few blades and then move on.

I’d recommend picking up a sampler pack and try each brand for a few shaves. You’ll be able to zero in on one that provides the sharpness/comfort level you are looking for. TryABlade.com has sampler packs, or you can make your own. I’d recommend trying at least 2-3 blades per brand in case you get a bad one (happens from time to time with every brand).

Nothing like a question like this to prove the truth of YMMV. It's also worth remember that when that Red Tip was new, no one would have even thought to ask such a question. There might have been two or three brands of blades for sale at the drug store...pick one.

But we are all more fanatical about this now, and definitely given that we have a zillion types of blades to try, yes, certainly blades do work better with certain razors.

Whenever I'm using a DE for the first time, I generally go "middle of the road" blades for the first time. In my case, this might be an Astra Platinum, or a Voskhod, or a SuperMax Plat. Don't want to start with either real sharp, or real mild.

Of those blades in that sampler (you have a nice Mom, remember this on Mother's Day) as I said, look at the Astra Plat or the SuperMax plat first. Feathers are notoriously sharp, and the Red Tip is fairly aggressive. The Derby's are consider by most to be relatively mild blades. The Sharks work best for me in a less aggressive razor. Several of those brands are Lord products. Good stuff, generally. The SuperMax Plat is a personal favorite.

My preferred blade in my red tip is a Nacet, followed by a GSB. You won't know what is mild until you try them for yourself. Every face is different, every beard is different. And especially, everyones technique is different. Try the sample pack & give each blade 4 or 5 shaves. Don't throw away a blade after 2 uses, it's still got room to smooth out after a couple more shaves.

How much experience do you have with a DE? If you're new to DE, then given those choices, in a Red Tip, I'd start with the Derby, the Lords & the Shark, all of which are in the smoother end of things. I'd save the SharpEdges & Feathers until the end. But as others have said, we're not in your skin; it's really up to you.

That helps. Would anyone be willing to put those in a lineup from most mild to most sharp for me.

While most people would agree that the Feathers are the sharpest, it's doubtful that anyone could really do such a lineup. This whole thing is SO variable and so much about perceptions, as well. A lot of people would opine that the Derby's are the least sharp.

The reality is that once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to get a good shave out of any of those blades, and if you are like me, probably couldn't reliably tell which brand was even in your razor if you didn't know beforehand.

I used a Derby Premium today with the borrowed red tip. I have to say way less irritation on the neck than with the astra blades I was using. The sample pack also came with an Alum block. I tried that as well for the first time. I like the Alum. It does burn but as it dried I loved how it tightened up the skin. Even though my fiance is 11 years older than I am she looks a lot younger than I do. It was nice that it tightened the skin. Made me look a few years younger.

Top Bottom