What's new

Belgian Coticule (yellow)

I'm looking at getting a yellow Belgian Coticule from Ardennes Coticule has anyone else any experience of these?
Should I order a Bout as well to use as a slurry stone?

In my experience, Ardennes has been fantastic to deal with. Also, if you ask them, they will likely throw in a slurry stone for you with your purchase.

Communicate with Rob. He'll take care of you :001_smile

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm looking at getting a yellow Belgian Coticule from Ardennes Coticule has anyone else any experience of these?

They have some pretty small and inexpensive bouts (which I guess could only be used as a slurry stone) so that seems a good bet.

Are you asking for opinions of the vendor Ardennes Coticule, or of the stones themselves? You'll find lots of high praise for the coticules here ...

I've never had experience with the vendor, so can't offer any opinion there, good or bad.

Ardennes Coticules has supplied all the retailers you might go to.
They have a site shop on the internet if you wish to compare prices. You can ofcourse take the European tax off the shop prices if the hone is going outside of Europe.

In my experience, Ardennes has been fantastic to deal with. Also, if you ask them, they will likely throw in a slurry stone for you with your purchase.

Thanks for the input Paul :001_smile

They have some pretty small and inexpensive bouts (which I guess could only be used as a slurry stone) so that seems a good bet.

Are you asking for opinions of the vendor Ardennes Coticule, or of the stones themselves? You'll find lots of high praise for the coticules here ...

I've never had experience with the vendor, so can't offer any opinion there, good or bad.

Ian - I was thinking more specifically feedback re the vendor...have already seen how generally well regarded Coticules are :001_smile

But I know I've still got LOTS more research to do! :ohmy:

It depends in the dimension of the coticule you buy. They provide a slurry stone already included in the price when buying a coticule above a certain dimension. I am sorry but I do not know what this dimension is.

I bought a 175*40cm and the slurry stone came included.

Regards,

I got a 150x40mm and they included a free slurry (a surprise when I opened the box). They also only charged $15 for shipping despite shipping it express (possibly because it took them a few days to ship?) at a cost of something like $30-35 to themselves.

I was pleased. With conversion rate and shipping taken into account, there may be US sources (who buy bulk from Ardennes probably) that are a little cheaper, but I have no complaints about going with Ardennes.

Living in Europe Ardennes seemed the natural choice and I can't complain, they ship fast and they pack the stone safely.

I got a 40 x 125mm coticule and that came without a slurry stone, I also got a 50 x 200 mm BBW and that came with a slurry stone.

The coticule is on the small side, so I might opt to get a larger one, and I won't hesitate to order from Ardennes again.

Would 100x40mm be big enough to be practical? Or is bigger better?

40mm wide is fine - in fact a lot of seasoned honers prefer the narrower hones because they are easier to use with blades that have a twist or other small flaw. 100mm long is a bit short in my opinion. I think you would be a lot happier with at least a 150mm long stone.

I agree on the length. I prefer 6 inches and up. For length, I personally find I have an easier time keeping slurry on a hone than is 2 or 2.5 inches wide, but that is another personal preference thing. I'm sure I could learn to do it on a narrower hone if I really wanted to.

I would want it a bit longer. 150 X 50 or 40 is ideal IMHO

+1

I think that for sharpening stones up to 8 inches, the longer the better. (Beyond that I don't really use the length) I use 4" long finishers without problem, but Coticules are so nice because they aren't "just" finishers. And Beveling on a 4" would be a pain. I say spring for at a bare minimum a 125x30, but 150x40 is a big upgrade for not much money. 200x40 would be ideal for me, but once you factor in cost, 150x40 is ideal.

+1

I think that for sharpening stones up to 8 inches, the longer the better. (Beyond that I don't really use the length) I use 4" long finishers without problem, but Coticules are so nice because they aren't "just" finishers. And Beveling on a 4" would be a pain. I say spring for at a bare minimum a 125x30, but 150x40 is a big upgrade for not much money. 200x40 would be ideal for me, but once you factor in cost, 150x40 is ideal.

200 would be a nice luxury :thumbup1:

For me, the key is the ease of holding the hone in my hand and narrowness for honing warped blades. My ideal size is 6" x 1" or 6" x 1½". I cut my Norton 4K/8K in half and the extra 2" of length is a tad uncomfortable. If I did it again (I don't want to abuse the kind marble cutter who did me a favor) I would have cut off the 2" for a slurry stone (yes, I do create slurry on the Norton) but I already had the Norton rubbing stone anyway.

Got a very quick reply from Rob at Ardennes regarding slurry stones...

"Thank you very much for your interest in our whetstones.
Yes all our Coticule stones come with a slurry stone.
Best regards
Rob Celis
Ardennes Coticule"

So top marks for customer service.

From your advice I'll leave it until next week to order so I can get the 150x40 :thumbup:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Ian - I was thinking more specifically feedback re the vendor...
I rather suspected so. :wink2:

Well, now that I've seen this post ...

... if it were me I'd feel confident with that vendor.

Top Bottom