What's new

Beginning 2 restorations and have some questions

proxy.php
the red and white knot was easy enough, but the knot in the black and white is set in a cup. I can't find any info on removing this one, so any tips will be greatly appreciated. I have a few tgn knots coming. Finest 2 band, a high mountain white, and a boar. Thanks in advance guys.

This is a good thread for step-by-step directions and tips.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/58175-Step-by-step-Ever-Ready-brush-restoration

I did six restorations after reading this thread. They all turned out better than I expected. If I can do it, you can do it.

Have fun and be sure to post plenty of after pix (and even in-process ones) to go with your before photo.

Thanks, I have read the thread. It doesn't have any info about removing the cup in the ever ready 100. Removal in the c40 was pretty simple using a big drill bit, but I'm not sure if I should do the same thing with the horse hair cup, or if there is a way to pull it out.

Thanks, I have read the thread. It doesn't have any info about removing the cup in the ever ready 100. Removal in the c40 was pretty simple using a big drill bit, but I'm not sure if I should do the same thing with the horse hair cup, or if there is a way to pull it out.

I use essentially the same methods for removal of knots set in inserts or cups as for knots without them. Sometimes the insert will come out with the knot, in pieces or intact. If the insert remains intact after the knot is out, sand it using a drum sander in the same manner as for opening the ferrule for a larger knot. Eventually the walls of the insert will become sufficiently thin and it usually can be deformed and separated from the inner wall of the ferrule.

In some instances I've ended up leaving remnants of metal inserts to avoid compromising the structural integrity of the ferrule. The objective, of course, is to open the ferrule just enough to accept whatever diameter knot you want to install-- the inside of the ferrule doesn't have to be pretty.

Good luck!

I use essentially the same methods for removal of knots set in inserts or cups as for knots without them. Sometimes the insert will come out with the knot, in pieces or intact. If the insert remains intact after the knot is out, sand it using a drum sander in the same manner as for opening the ferrule for a larger knot. Eventually the walls of the insert will become sufficiently thin and it usually can be deformed and separated from the inner wall of the ferrule.

In some instances I've ended up leaving remnants of metal inserts to avoid compromising the structural integrity of the ferrule. The objective, of course, is to open the ferrule just enough to accept whatever diameter knot you want to install-- the inside of the ferrule doesn't have to be pretty.

Good luck!

Thank you. I did attempt to drill it out, the bottom popped through, and I was left with a ring. I cut the ring in two spots to the ferrule, and split the ring in two pcs. Easy squeasie. I'm kind of impatient, and took it upon myself to figure it out. I do appreciate the advice, though from the sound of it, my method may have been easier. Though I only have two knot removals to compare it to. Have a great evening, and again, THANK you for the reply.

Every one of these presents a new situation in my brief experience. The last two brushes that I received required nothing but a good, hard tug to get the old knots out. Previous ones required drilling, grinding, filing, sanding, etc. Glad to hear that cutting the ring did the trick for you. You never know what to expect. I look forward to seeing some "after" photos when you're all done.

Thank you. I did attempt to drill it out, the bottom popped through, and I was left with a ring. I cut the ring in two spots to the ferrule, and split the ring in two pcs. Easy squeasie. I'm kind of impatient, and took it upon myself to figure it out. I do appreciate the advice, though from the sound of it, my method may have been easier. Though I only have two knot removals to compare it to. Have a great evening, and again, THANK you for the reply.

Excellent! Regardless of method, I think the key is to separate the insert from the inner wall of the ferrule. Once that's achieved, the insert usually can be removed safely, either intact or in pieces. In my experience it's usually the latter.

Every one of these presents a new situation in my brief experience. The last two brushes that I received required nothing but a good, hard tug to get the old knots out. Previous ones required drilling, grinding, filing, sanding, etc. Glad to hear that cutting the ring did the trick for you. You never know what to expect. I look forward to seeing some "after" photos when you're all done.

+ a bunch and well said, Rob.

$uploadfromtaptalk1396190271745.jpg
Sorry about the sideways pic. I'm still polishing the black and white handle. I am very happy with how the boar knot came out. This is my first and only boar brush. L oft is set at 52mm.

Top Bottom