What's new

Beckman Sole on Iron Ranger Boots and Rumors

Was at my local Red Wing Shoe Store yesterday picking up a refill on boot oil and some polishing supplies and I struck up a conversation with the salesman. He is a big Iron Ranger fan (every time I go in their he's wearing his). I have a pair of Iron Rangers and a pair of Beckman's and showed him how I put the flat laces on the Rangers for the look (they look great). I mentioned I really wished the Rangers had the Beckman sole and that I wished the top three eye holes on the Beckman's were hooks instead. He said the RUMOR was that you could have a Beckman style sole installed on your Rangers for about $110 directly from Red Wing.

Both pairs of my boots are nowhere near needing to be re-soled but it has me curious - has anyone had Red Wing do this for them? I'm sure a local cobbler could do something similar, but it would be great to have it done by Red Wing directly (I trust them with their boots over a local cobbler).

I don't own any Redwings, but I understand you can have them put pretty much any sole on that you want. I think putting a lug sole on IRs is a fairly popular thing to do.

IMO the Beckman sole is the way to go (at least here in the Northwest as this works better in the rain)! :thumbup1:

Last edited:
For $110 you can have pretty much any sole you want, put on by any cobbler. That's the way resolable, goodyear welted shoes work. It's not some big secret or rumor.

That said, I believe J. Crew has a version of the IRs with a beckman-style sole. Alternatively, you can ask Red Wing about a custom job. It will cost more but I have to imagine that it will be more economical than buying a brand new pair of boots, removing a perfectly good sole, and reinstalling a new one.

For $110 you can have pretty much any sole you want, put on by any cobbler. That's the way resolable, goodyear welted shoes work. It's not some big secret or rumor.

That said, I believe J. Crew has a version of the IRs with a beckman-style sole. Alternatively, you can ask Red Wing about a custom job. It will cost more but I have to imagine that it will be more economical than buying a brand new pair of boots, removing a perfectly good sole, and reinstalling a new one.

Red Wing specifically states that if you take their shoes to any other cobbler, they will not guarantee that they can re-work those shoes the next time they need repair. It could be a marketing gimmick, it could be for specific reasons. I'd rather work with them directly - they've treated me well over the years.

I'll check the J. Crew site.

Thanks.

Red Wing specifically states that if you take their shoes to any other cobbler, they will not guarantee that they can re-work those shoes the next time they need repair. It could be a marketing gimmick, it could be for specific reasons. I'd rather work with them directly - they've treated me well over the years.

I'll check the J. Crew site.

Thanks.

Most major shoe companies have that kind of stipulation, because it's always possible for another shoe repair place to screw up the shoe. Since Red Wing and other larger volume shoemakers do lots of high-volume shoe repair they just don't bother with trying to salvage a butchered pair. A competent cobbler should be able to do the job in a way that wouldn't cause Red Wing to reject it. I have seen many people return many pairs of Red Wings, Allen Edmonds, etc. to in-house recrafting after having third-party soles put on previously.

My point wasn't that you're really getting overcharged or screwed by having Red Wing do it in-house, just that you're essentially just paying them for a new sole replacement. $110 is on the high side, but I'm betting they also re-last it and oil and such. Like I said, might be worth looking into a pair ready-made with the sole you want.

I agree with that. I'd rather not buy a shoe, tear off the perfectly good sole and put on a new one. No matter if I sent it to the OEM or a local cobbler. RW probably has a custom order process. I know Allen Edmonds does. I've seen lots of people getting the Eagle Country without that stupid looking wedge gum sole, and some normal looking leather. Its a really slick looking boot when you take away that stupid sole and the weird fake aged leather.

Top Bottom