What's new

BBQ sauce recipes

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've done this recipe so many times that the book just opens to the page. It's just acidic enough to balance rich barbecue and sausage, but it isn't so thick and heavy to cover it all up. I've had some barbecue sauces that were so I heavy that I wondered why we all bothered with the meat.

Smoked Onion Sauce

1 TBSP vegetable oil (or other neutral oil)
1 large onion, smoked & chopped (I just toss one on the pit for an hour or so when cooking something else and then freeze it)
2 garlic cloves, minced (more is good, too)
1 cup tomato purée
3/4 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup water
6 TBSP molasses
3 TBSP (packed) brown sugar (I use dark)
3 TBSP tomato paste
3 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1 TBSP yellow mustard
2 TBSP chili powder (I usually use Fiesta)
2 TBSP black pepper, freshly ground (I usually go a little heavy on this, but I like black pepper)
1 tsp salt
(1 bay leaf, optional)

1. Add the garlic to cold oil and bring up on low heat until the garlic starts to sizzle.
2. Bring the heat up to medium and add the onion. Cook for a couple of minutes until the onion and garlic are soft and fragrant.
3. Add the tomato paste and fry for a few minutes.
4. Add the purée, vinegar, and water, and stir to make sure nothing (especially the tomato paste) is sticking.
5. Add all remaining ingredients and mix well. Make sure the molasses, especially, is mixed in.
6. Bring up to a low simmer and let cook for about 30 minutes or until it achieves desired consistency. Stir frequently.

This keeps in the fridge just about forever, but I usually split it into 2-4 portions (depending on how much I think I need soon) and freeze what I don't think I need for a while. It's good warm or cold.

Originally from Smoke & Spice, Cheryl & Bill Jamison (2003 edition), but I have a few notes of my own in there and played around with the actual protocol.

The classic Sunset BBQ Cookbook sauce recipe, easily found on-line, has been a family favorite since I was a kid. It has a quarter cup of fresh lemon juice which adds some spark and cuts a bit of the richness. My mom would just cut the lemon in two, juice it over the saucepan, and then dump the lemon pieces into the sauce as it cooked. Fabulous on chicken

Sugar free? None that I've tried. Even the sugar free Head Country didn't taste good to me. Maybe something that's purely vinegar based?

Has anyone tried the sweet baby rays no sugar BBQ sauce here?

I know SBR is a well liked BBQ sauce.

I've seen it at the stores. But haven't tried it.

Has anyone tried the sweet baby rays no sugar BBQ sauce here?

I know SBR is a well liked BBQ sauce.

I've seen it at the stores. But haven't tried it.
I’ve tried SBR original before — a good sauce, has nice hints of tamarind. I have not tried the sugar free though.

I realize it might be anathema to ask, but, are there any good sugar-free BBQ sauces for diabetics?

A buddy of mine raves about this stuff but I personally haven’t tried it. Rufus Teague makes some pretty good sauce in general though...

Top Bottom