What's new

Battle of the bargain blades!

As we all know there's a plethora of blades to pick from. They range in performance, price and overall quality.

But! Some are cheap, really cheap. So cheap that your instincts to hoard kick in and you end up with a 100's of them with no idea if they are actually going to do the job without leaving your face looking like you fell through a window or simply with stubble still all over your chops.

So this thread is for the cheapest blades youve bought that work the best! Bargain deals on premium blades don't count and they must still be in production and/or readily available.

Why? Because I'm cheap. ;)

Now, over the years I've used a dozen or so blades with varying success but lately have bought a few of the cheapest ones I can find online. And after a bit of testing them I think I can give my 2p worth on the topic of these cheap blades. Also for reference sake, I have a mildish beard and sensitive skin and usually shave with a finishing pass atg for a BBS finale, I do this every other day. Anyway..

Astra sp - 100 blades for around £7.50. Great blades as most people will testify, certainly good enough for me and setting the standard for cheap high performance. I can get a few great shaves from these with no drama.

Treet platinum - 100 blades for £5.60! I was really excited to try these as I had read good things especially the sharpness consistency findings on refinedshave. However they felt blunt, really blunt. To get a BBS shave I had to go fully atg twice, which lead to some irritation but not much. I also had to use more pressure than usual. The second use of the blade was even more blunt! I had to use more pressure and dial the angle more just to cut the hair, still got a BBS shave but it was the shortest lasting one I've had.

Derby extra (horizontal label) - 100 blades for £6! I know the newer version has the vertical label and have changed but you can still get these ones. These have mixed reviews, most negative but to my surprise they felt pretty sharp! Sharp and smooth tbh, I had an easy BBS shave first and second use of the blade. I'll be looking for more of these and I hear the newer ones are also smooth but sharper, I'll be trying these sometime too.

The last truly budget priced blade I've tried lately was the worst..

Shark super stainless - 100 blades for £6. Sharper than treet platinum (hardly surprising to me) and seeming ok for the first pass, not a particularly close pass and no need use too much pressure. Anyway this blade is not smooth. It's harsh. When going against the grain I could feel the blade clicking over hairs and not cutting them, some stinging, I got loads of nicks and have razor burn. I got a BBS shave but paid the price and for that I tossed the blade rather than try it again!

I've got more premium blade brands than I do super cheap ones so I won't be adding to the list to try until I do some shopping tonight online (I can get 200 treet classics for £7 atm!!) But for those of you who buy really cheap ones and have given them a good go please give us a run down on your experiences (and beard type). Let's try to keep the per100 blades cost to under £10/$10/€10 (hopefully much less) so we get an idea roughly what we can get for our minimal spendings. :D

Cheers

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
On ebay, I took a gamble on ridiculously cheap blades twice, and got lucky both times.

200 SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium for £7 delivered
100 SuperMax Super Stainless for £3 delivered

That £10 bought 50% of the stash of blades that will last me the rest of my life. I get 10-14 great shaves from these blades, and even more from some of the others.

• I've bought Astra SPs for $10/100 and get great results with them.
  • I've got Shark Chromes $10/100 and never had the problems you had--I like them.
  • Got Crown blades $9/100 (I believe it's a Lord brand), was very surprised by these!
  • Voskhods--$10/100: what can I say, I'm a cheapskate. Nice blade for the money for me.
  • Wilkinson Sword (India-made 'Saloon' pack)--$7 shipped; these are okay, not great, but they're way better than the Treet Carbon Steel I tried some time back. That blade was brutal!
  • I think my Tatras were $10/100. Great blade for the price. Efficient without being mean spirited.

Yeah . . I have a lot of blades, and this doesn't list all of them.

What's cheap? Under $10 for 100? Under $15?

In my opinion, it's impossible to answer this. It should be calculated based on cost/shave for the person using the blade. For instance, I have 129 shaves on an Astra SP blade. The current cost/shave is $0.0005348837. Another person might toss their cheaper blade after only a few shaves.

I may consider Nacets after I use up the 200 Astra SPs I have.

I loaded up on SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium blades, but even though they are still available I don't think they are being produced any longer. Connaghts has them in bulk for ~$12 for 200. The manufacturing dates on mine were 2011.

Of the currently produced blades in the budget range, I've been happy with:

Lord Classic
Shark Chrome
Derby USTA
Derby Premium
Gillette Wilkinson Sword
Dorco Prime

I think all of those were less than $10 per 100.

What's cheap? Under $10 for 100? Under $15?

Yeah, cheaper the better. Buying single packs isn't a good reference as they vary wildly so if you go by 100 blade packs for less than £€$10 you can get a rough idea of cost per blade internationally as the currency exchange rates are similar enough. That way we all get to have a say no matter where we live.

So my treet platinums are £0.056/5.6p per blade and my cheapest, but not the best. What I want to know is which of the very cheapest blades are best. I'm not interested in cost per shave as that's variable to immense degrees, so try to focus on price of the blade per 100 and it's performance.

If you can stretch a blades uses into triple digits then God speed! But I can't and I know most can't/don't want to. So cheap is key!

I don't know how you guys got such great deals like 100 for £3! Awesome stuff, especially if they work. I'm gonna stalk all recommended blades on *bay to see if I can score some bargains. I'll PIF the ones that are horrible for me! :D

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I don't know how you guys got such great deals like 100 for £3!

Patience young padawan :lol1:

Do a search on ebay for 100 (or 200) DE razor blades, or words to that effect, then sort price from low to high. Many of the listings will be multi-listings, where the £2.99 option is a single blade. Just keep working through them till you find the listings that are actually for 100 blades.

If you don't find anything under a fiver, wait, and try again in a week or so. The waiting is the hardest part, not everyone can do it :wink:

I understand how Astra SP, Treet, Shark Super Chrome, Derby Extra, etc. work for people with mild beards, but they are not sharp enough for my coarse beard. However, there are some other inexpensive blades that are sharp enough:

Under $10 per 100
Astra Superior Stainless- about $10 per 100
Dorco Prime Platinum- $8 per 100
Shark Platinum- $8 per 100
Supermax Blue Diamond- $10 per 10
Wilkinson Sword (Gillette) $10 per 100

Between $10 and $15 per 100
BIC Chrome Platinum - about $13 per 100
PermaSharp Super - $11.50 per 100
Personna Lab Blue- $15 per 100
Rapira Platinum Lux $11 per 100
Voskhod- $13 per 100

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I understand how Astra SP, Treet, Shark Super Chrome, Derby Extra, etc. work for people with mild beards, but they are not sharp enough for my coarse beard. However, there are some other inexpensive blades that are sharp enough:

Under $10 per 100
Astra Superior Stainless- about $10 per 100
Dorco Prime Platinum- $8 per 100
Shark Platinum- $8 per 100
Supermax Blue Diamond- $10 per 10
Wilkinson Sword (Gillette) $10 per 100

Between $10 and $15 per 100
BIC Chrome Platinum - about $13 per 100
PermaSharp Super - $11.50 per 100
Personna Lab Blue- $15 per 100
Rapira Platinum Lux $11 per 100
Voskhod- $13 per 100

Some "sharp" blades work for me, and some don't.
Some "mild" blades work for me, and some don't.

I think there's more to compatibility than just apparent keenness of the edge, be it cutting geometry, coatings, or whatever. I've found that correlations of my shaves to other peoples were meaningless. If someone likes three blades that I like, and one of us likes a fourth blade, there is no guarantee whatsoever that it will work for the other person. Some of the blades in your list are great for me (Blue Diamond Titanium, Wilkie Gillettes, Perma-Sharp), but others are quite poor performers on my face (Lab blue, Voskhod, Rapira plat lux).

I soon gave up trying to match my blade preferences to others. I don't know/understand what the mystery elements are that make a blade work for me or not, it all comes down to trials at the end of the day. My preferences might not align with anyone else, but I'm not shaving their face :)

Some "sharp" blades work for me, and some don't.
Some "mild" blades work for me, and some don't.

I think there's more to compatibility than just apparent keenness of the edge, be it cutting geometry, coatings, or whatever. I've found that correlations of my shaves to other peoples were meaningless. If someone likes three blades that I like, and one of us likes a fourth blade, there is no guarantee whatsoever that it will work for the other person. Some of the blades in your list are great for me (Blue Diamond Titanium, Wilkie Gillettes, Perma-Sharp), but others are quite poor performers on my face (Lab blue, Voskhod, Rapira plat lux).

I soon gave up trying to match my blade preferences to others. I don't know/understand what the mystery elements are that make a blade work for me or not, it all comes down to trials at the end of the day. My preferences might not align with anyone else, but I'm not shaving their face :)
I agree with this.

Sent from my LG-US998 using Tapatalk

I've picked up 100 Astra SP blades from that company named after a river a couple months ago for $6.99 with free shipping. I haven't found a better deal.

I also ordered 100 Treet DuraSharps (platinum coated carbon steel blades) for $7.99 with free shipping from that same company. Also an excellent deal.

Cheap? Well, I've got some good deals in the past but the blade price seems to go up.
Killer deal for 100 Voskhod+50 Rapira Platinum Lux-approximately 10$(about two years ago) directly from Russia. In the meantime the seller has disappeared. He had lots of good offers. Delivery was a bit slow but other than that-no issues. Both good blades. Voskhod smooth and mild while Rapira is on par with Gillette Platinum.
100 Rapira Super Stainless for 8.50$ from Turkey-best price I found for these. Very sharp blades.
100 Shark Super Chrome for 11.73$-these are pretty harsh on the first shaves (pretty much equivalent to SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum) but they mellow out with a few shaves.
100 Astra SP-10 $ The classic workhorse blade. Good sharpness and smoothness balance. Gillette Platinum and other blades are sharper, though.
100 Astra SS 10.94$-smooth and sharp blades.
100 Polsilver for about 14$ (also two years ago)-very good blades, use them sparingly though as I have many good blades and these are going up in price and harder to find.
200 SuperMax Diamond Edge for 15.58$ (seller also has the option for you to buy 100 for 7.5$). These are hard to find even on eBay. Only a few Indian sellers have them. Very smooth. Sharpness is medium.
295 SuperMax Blue Diamond Platinum-100 bought from eBay for about 12$ (that's with shipping) and then found some in my city at an even better price. Don't use them too often as they are pretty harsh on the first shaves. Once they mellow out though they shave wonderfully, especially in a Merkur 1904 open comb.
200 SuperMax Blue Diamond Titanium from Connaught for 14.81$ (with shipping included)-very smooth and sharp blades. Also out of production.
100 Dorco Titan for 8.50$-very sharp. Smoothness is so-so.
100 Shark Super Stainless for 8.99$-smooth and mild blades.
These are the best deals I've had.
P.S. Forgot about a bulk pack of 120 SuperMax Super Stainless bought directly from a retail store for about 9.5$.

Your post made me look at my blade collection and try another bargain favorite I'd relegated to the back of the drawer. I loaded a Lord Platinum Class blade into my RR SLOC razor and had a perfectly easy and efficient shave. I think they are in the $8 per 100 range on the river web store. I'd been revisiting the Gillette Wilkinson Sword ( Chinese version ) the last few days before and enjoying it and I think the Lord Plat was just as nice.

I'm looking at trying a Shark Stainless soon. They were not a favorite of mine when I used them 9 years ago, but I've found my technique has gotten a little better since then so I'll see if that makes any difference.

I've had great luck lately with:
Shark Platinum
Crown Platinum
Euromax Platinum

meh results with:
Lord Platinum Premium (black label)
Lord Tajam (pretty sure it's the same as the platinum premium)

Awful results with:
Silver Star

Top Bottom