What's new

Basic Cuban Cigar Question

I will be travelling to a Cuban friendly place next month and would like to try a few. My question is, what are the differences between the different names of cigars? For example, Cohiba has the Siglo line and it's Siglo 1 - 6. Montecristo has the No. 1 - 5, etc. Are these just different sizes of the same cigar, or are these different "models" entirely?

I am under the impression that, for the most part anyway, when dealing with Cuban cigars that have numbers rather than names, the blend of the cigar is the same & only the size is different. A Montecristo #2 for example, is the same basic blend as a #1, #3, #4 & #5. Same thing with the Cohiba Siglo and others that use sequential numbers, as far as I know. I can't guarantee that this is always the case, but I believe it to be true the majority of the time.

The number represent sizes. Although the blends are similar, they change depending on the size because the proportion of different leaf are used to make the balance harmonious with the girth and length. As a general rule, to taste test the "general" flavor of a brand, start with a No.4 (a corona/petit corona). Be careful with fakes, there are more fake Cuban cigars floating around than real ones, I've even seen fakes in official Habanos stores.

The number represent sizes. Although the blends are similar, they change depending on the size because the proportion of different leaf are used to make the balance harmonious with the girth and length. As a general rule, to taste test the "general" flavor of a brand, start with a No.4 (a corona/petit corona). Be careful with fakes, there are more fake Cuban cigars floating around than real ones, I've even seen fakes in official Habanos stores.

I would assume that the differences in the blend between sizes would be no different than any other cigar though, correct? In other words, the blend is not really different, only tailored in relative proportion to the size of the cigar. The cigar can still have dramatically different character and flavor from one size to the next though. This would be the same whether the cigar is Cuban or non-Cuban, unless the Cubans do it differently than everyone else, which seems to be what the OP wants to know.

It is bad enough having to try to avoid fakes from a relatively unknown source, but fakes in an official Habanos S.A. dealer? That just sucks :thumbdown

Last edited:
What non-cubans do you enjoy? Knowing this we may be able to make some more pointed suggestions.

It depends on the brand- different fabricas use different systems.

Bolis, for example, will use different blends for different sizes, whilst Montecristo always uses the same blend. But in general, number relates to size and shape.

The problem with fakes is that some are really, really good. Like, you can only tell by smoking one, because even the smell, texture and packing are perfect. As a rule of thumb (in La Habana) only buy from the top shops like Casa de Tobacos, and if you're deal hunting go straight to the smaller fabricas and work something out with a foreman. If someone approaches you, they're selling fakes. The Cuban tourist economy is largely scam-based.

Last edited:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
There are certain classic styles, called "shapes", that are common to most of the major brands. For instance, a Corona is typically 42 or 44 ring guage and 6-1/4 inches or thereabouts. A Robusto is typically 48 to 50 guage and 5-1/2" or so. A Churchill will be 48 or maybe only 46 guage and over 7". Many brands use the common shape name for that "model" of cigar. Some give their own in-house shape name, such as "Siglo V" or "Esplendido" or "Bravo", and some assign numbers, such as the iconic Partagas #10 or the aforementioned Montecristos.

Some brands use the same or similar blends over an entire line of cigars. (I doubt if Montecristo uses the same blend in the "A" that they use in a #4, for instance, though it does seem like the numbered shapes use the same or similar) Some don't. The master blender might have his own vision of what works best with the available filler, binder, and wrapper that is available in the shape that he wants to create a cigar for. A Romeo y Julietta Churchill is quite a different cigar from a Robusto, even though the ring guage is similar, though both are excellent cigars, perfect for someone who prefers milder smokes. (The Robusto, in keeping with the shape name, might be a little stouter flavored)

Don't automatically dismiss all street hustler cigars as fakes. Rollers are given a ration for their own use. They are not supposed to sell them, but many do. One tipoff is if the box has cigars neatly matched by shape but not so well matched by color. A factory box of premium cigars will be color matched with little visible variation in the shade of the wrapper. Yes, most if not many street cigars will be misrepresented, but not all are phoneys and you can always buy one at random to sample. However, let there be no doubt whatsoever that the factory or a reputable shop are the place to go drop serious coin for cigars.

If a fake cigar is actually a good cigar, then all is well, AFAIC. If you pay $4 for a cigar that you think was worth $4 after you finished it, then you did okay. If you paid $15 for a cigar that after smoking it you thought was worth $2, then you got burned. If you paid $3 for a cigar that you thought was worth $20, get a second opinion.

My general advice: amuse yourself with an occasional street cigar, but don't buy a box. If it sucks, then just don't finish it.

I don't like "Cigar Afficianado". I think the ratings are unreliable and biased. I don't like the attitude of the magazine. But for a newbie, buying a couple of issues might be an eye opener. It will aquaint you with the terminology of the cigar and lead you to other resources.

Get the #2.

Obviously a completely objective suggestion :biggrin1::biggrin1: The #2 is very nice & there is a reason it is one of the most popular cigars in the world.

That said, I absolutely love the #4, but I lean more toward cigars of a 42-48 ring gauge no matter the brand so it has more to do with that than whether the #4 is "better" than the #2.

For those wanting to try an iconic Cuban cigar, the Monte #2 would certainly be the likely stick of choice without spending Behike $$. :thumbup1:

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I will chime in here with the observation that in general, a larger guage (diameter) cigar will be a nicer smoke, up to the point where it is actually uncomfortably large, generally over 50ga. If you stick with 46 to 50 guage cigars you improve your odds of finding something you can really get to like. A Robusto or Bellicoso shape is large guage and fairly short, so you can finish it in a reasonable length of time. All other things equal, the larger cigar will smoke cooler and offer a more complex taste.

I don't like the smaller cohibas like the lancero. The roll is very tight, resulting in a difficult draw.

For a stronger cigar, try a Partagas. For a milder one, try a Romeo y Julieta.

Cohibas, the old line anyway, are an acquired taste. The tobacco is fermented differently than most filler. A Robusto or Esplendido would be a good one to try. The aroma is quite distinctive. The newer Siglo line is a little more like a mainstream cigar.

If you can find a Montecristo A, you owe it to yourself to try this iconic cigar. The largest and most beautiful wrapper leaf in the world goes into these immense cigars. This is the cigar that movie magnates like Harold B Zanuck smoked, just because they could. They are not cheap. Don't blow your nest egg on a whole box, but do try one, and preferably in a location where you can take a nice pic.

Enjoy!

I will be travelling to a Cuban friendly place next month and would like to try a few. My question is, what are the differences between the different names of cigars? For example, Cohiba has the Siglo line and it's Siglo 1 - 6. Montecristo has the No. 1 - 5, etc. Are these just different sizes of the same cigar, or are these different "models" entirely?

Here is a very useful website. You will find the information thorough and accurate. Trevor has put in a lot of time and sweat into this database and it shows... http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/index.htm .

For reviews of cuban cigars, I suggest... http://www.cigars-review.org/ .

Cohiba cigars have a wonderful grassy profile when very young. It is unique to the marca (brand). It has a taste/smell of fresh cut hay. Some people like it, some hate it. Along with the grass one can find wonderful vanilla bean flavors. Coffee is sometimes also present.

Montecristo's are devoid of the grass profile. Here you will find rich bean flavors of vanilla, cocoa and chocolate.

If you are heading south of the border, be careful in where you shop. You best bet would be to find a La Casa del Habano. This is the official cigar retailer of Habanos, S.A. the official Cuban marketer of all cuban tobacco products. Google La Casa del Habano and see if there is a shop where you will be visiting.

If not, see if you can find an authorized retailer where you will be staying. (I know, how will you find this information, you ask? I would assume some of the folks here in the Brown Leaf forum have mentioned where they picked up legitimate cuban cigars on their visits out of the country. You might also ask around on some of the cigar forums. Don't ask for online sources as they will throw tomatoes and beer cans at your avatar... lol. But if you tell them you are heading down to the islands or overseas, they will gladly steer you in the right direction.)

Here are a few Don'ts wherever you visit:

* Don't buy cigars from a guy on the street. They're fake.

* Don't buy from a guy selling on the beach. They're fake.

* Don't buy any glass top Cohiba Esplendido's. They don't exist. Cohiba Esplendido's aren't packaged in glass top boxes.

* If someone mentions that they have a friend of a friend that can get cuban cigars, run away.

Use common sense and you should be okay. Regardless of what you purchase, if it tastes good and you enjoy it, then you made a fine purchase.

EDIT: One last thing. If this is your first time smoking a cuban cigar, make sure you have something in your stomach. At the very least, a soda or juice will help out with the possible side effects of nicotine. I have seen a few folks turn green and get sick from the nicotine entering their system via the mouth. A meal/snack or a cold soda/juice will help avoid such problems.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the replies, this thread has really taken off with many more suggestions than expected.

In regards to what I like to smoke that is non-cuban, two have really stuck out in recent memory, the Partagas 160, and the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990. I've also had only 1 cuban to date, the Montecristo Edmundo, which was fantastic.

As far as purchasing goes, there is a La Casa del Habano near where I'll be. I have a copy of their inventory list, it's pretty extensive.

Everyone who smokes the occasional (or frequent) Habanos has their favorite, some of which, like the Monty #2, PSD4 and Cohiba Siglo VI, have become rather iconic over the years.

For fresh off the shelf, out of the box smoking, for my money it's hard to beat the Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure #2. Just a wonderful, wonderful cigar.

It's not counterfeited nearly as frequently, either.

NANP™

I would try a Partagas Lusitania or a Cuaba Salomone if you have the time to sit back an enjoy a long smoke. :thumbup: have a great trip!

I've been compiling a planned "hit list." So far I have the Cohiba Robusto & Siglo VI, Partagas Serie D 4, Monte #2 & 2005 D Lonsdale, and Cuaba Salamone. I think that should be a pretty good intro to good Cubans, and I'll be there for 8 days, so one a day should be a good sampler. I'll probably do 2 house recommendations in addition to the 6 I have above.

Looks like you have a plan! If you can, try a Trinidad and/or a Bolivar. Both are tasty and not as commonly mentioned. They are both available in various sizes.

Top Bottom