What's new

Barbicide Harmful or Not for Brushes?

Gentlemen, I recently started using Barbicide to clean each of my two razors--it does a super job.

Would Barbicide be harmful to the hairs of my various brushes if I soaked them for 5 to 10 minutes at a time?

I don't know much about barbicide but I doubt it's necessary for your brushes. If you happen to be one of those germ crazy people then go ahead, do what makes you happy. However, if you're not, then I recommend a simple rinse in warm water, light dabbing on a dry, clean towel and then hang upside down to dry.

Look at it this way: your brush consists of natural hairs, like your head. Would you dip your head in barbicide for 5 to 10 minutes?

Don't use it.

A dip in Barbicide will probably stain your knot blue ... and of course, you don't want it to contact the handle at all.

There are other popular ways to clean a brush, such as a mild shampoo (I use J&J Baby Shampoo). You don't want to use hair conditioner at all, since that might change the characteristics of the knot like backbone and bloom. Dishwashing liquid is a common method, but I haven't tried it.

No matter what you do, even using Barbicide, nothing will make your shave kit "sterile," and it doesn't really have to be.
The best you can hope for is "thoroughly cleaned."

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I don't know much about barbicide but I doubt it's necessary for your brushes. If you happen to be one of those germ crazy people then go ahead, do what makes you happy. However, if you're not, then I recommend a simple rinse in warm water, light dabbing on a dry, clean towel and then hang upside down to dry.

Look at it this way: your brush consists of natural hairs, like your head. Would you dip your head in barbicide for 5 to 10 minutes?

+1 (except I don't hang my brushes upside down, although there's nothing wrong with doing that).

Just to see what would happen, once.....

I soaked a Vulfix Super Badger (white resin handle) in a Barbicide solution. Sure it probably didn't need it but I was gonna try it anyway.

No staining or other damage to the brush. All went well and I'm sure were there any cooties, they were indeed killed. A couple years later after routine use, the brush was still doing fine. Can't say what Barbicide would do to another brush made of different materials but it did alright with this one...

Just to see what would happen, once.....

I soaked a Vulfix Super Badger (white resin handle) in a Barbicide solution. Sure it probably didn't need it but I was gonna try it anyway.

No staining or other damage to the brush. All went well and I'm sure were there any cooties, they were indeed killed. A couple years later after routine use, the brush was still doing fine. Can't say what Barbicide would do to another brush made of different materials but it did alright with this one...

I had a Vulfix brush that got stained when I lived in a house with rusty, stinky well water. Even 3 years later, that rust wouldn't wash out. I tried many different cleaning methods, then one night, I got this bright idea.

$20140924_021151.jpg

Turned out to be not such a bright idea. The knot was ruined, and rendered useless. But I still have a nice resin handle, and the matching travel tube. I will probably restore it with a synthetic knot when I get around to it.

I have done it to two or three brushes, early on. Two went off without a hitch, one turned a pale blue. I used it for about 3 weeks, and it finally cleared up. Brush is still in my rotation, still the correct color, still a great brush.
That said, I'll never do it again. Don't see the need. Wash in a good antibacterial soap, shampoo and condition. Nothing else needed, for me.

I've told this story before ,but here it is again for you contemplation....I got a Duke 3 in the mid 1980's , used it 25 years with no disinfecting,just rinses.After 20 years the handle cracked and progressively lengthened.I thought the knot was great ,so I sent it to Rudy Vey for a new handle ..Rudy told me he found a small pool of bacteria deep in the bottom of the knot ,but did surgery on it to save it.After that ,I started giving all my brushes disinfecting baths every 90 days.Barbicide does not mention brushes on the label , Mar-V-Cide states "safe for brushes" ,and it costs half of what Barbicide costs after proper dilution.A 5 minute soak in cold water Marvy actually softens the hairs. Occasionally I will get a little blue tint , but that washes out and is harmless.If you have the standard 37oz. glass Barbicide jar use 1 plus 1/4 tablespoons of Marvy per sanitizing jar.

There is a product called Shipshape that is specifically designed for use on brushes, but mainly used by barbers to clean hair brushes. I have not yet tried it, but it should be safe for shaving brushes.

It's available from Sally's and other mail order sources.

There is a product called Shipshape that is specifically designed for use on brushes, but mainly used by barbers to clean hair brushes. I have not yet tried it, but it should be safe for shaving brushes.

It's available from Sally's and other mail order sources.
Ship-Shape is great for shaving brushes ,it cleans and conditions...however ,it does not disinfect the brush.

Thanks and a tip of the hat to both dpm802 and malocchio!! I picked up some Ship-Shape ($6.81/box) from Sally's after my Great Clips hair cut. My stylist had not heard of Ship-Shape, but she did advised they use Barbicide per state regulations. I put my three brushes, comb, and hair brush in a sink of warm water with 3-Tablespoons of Ship-Shape. It worked wonders. It cleaned gunk of my brushes quickly. Per the box, I rinsed and then dipped my brushes in Barbicide. They feel as soft as they were when I first got them.

This is one good product to consider for your dens.

$Brush Cleanerr.jpg$Brush Cleaning.jpg

Last edited:
I've told this story before ,but here it is again for you contemplation....I got a Duke 3 in the mid 1980's , used it 25 years with no disinfecting,just rinses.After 20 years the handle cracked and progressively lengthened.I thought the knot was great ,so I sent it to Rudy Vey for a new handle ..Rudy told me he found a small pool of bacteria deep in the bottom of the knot ,but did surgery on it to save it.After that ,I started giving all my brushes disinfecting baths every 90 days.Barbicide does not mention brushes on the label , Mar-V-Cide states "safe for brushes" ,and it costs half of what Barbicide costs after proper dilution.A 5 minute soak in cold water Marvy actually softens the hairs. Occasionally I will get a little blue tint , but that washes out and is harmless.If you have the standard 37oz. glass Barbicide jar use 1 plus 1/4 tablespoons of Marvy per sanitizing jar.

Do you happen to have any photos of the bacteria pool? I'm just wondering where bacteria would have a chance to form a pool. If the hole is filled with epoxy and the knot pressed in, there should be no space for such a bacterial pocket. Perhaps you had a manufacturing fluke in you brush that resulted in such a condition.

Do you happen to have any photos of the bacteria pool? I'm just wondering where bacteria would have a chance to form a pool. If the hole is filled with epoxy and the knot pressed in, there should be no space for such a bacterial pocket. Perhaps you had a manufacturing fluke in you brush that resulted in such a condition.
............No pics , I only went by what Rudy told me ,and his observations were made with the knot removed of course.I suspect when fissures first form in the handle you don't see them until they start to split more and widen,and I think the lack of a periodic disinfectant lead to the cesspool.At any rate ,a jug of Mar-V-Cide is cheap ,and does no damage to the hairs or handle (I wouldn't use it on real bone however)..

Top Bottom