What's new

Barbershop(pe) anyone?

Which Barbershop(pe)?

• Maggard Razors London Barbershop

• Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe

• Mike's Barbershop

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
How about razorock xxx. Love the scent. It's a citrusy barber shop scent.
I actually had a tub of the XXX as well as the matching aftershave splash, and while I liked the scent pretty well, it always seemed to give me a headache. I ended up selling it on the old b/s/t forum.

Of all the soap scents I have tried the Classic Barbershop is my favorite!
I prefer the barber shop scents that are described as "Bergamot, Basil, Oakmoss, Patchouli". Not so much the ones described as "Bay Rum, Amber, Musk" usually called 1920's barber shoppe.

What I have...
I would say for me at the top of the list for best performance of the soap and the scent is Cold River Soap Works Select American Barber Shop.
Followed by a new artisan one I found that I really like too, J. L. Davis Soap Co. on Etsy and his Bee Sharp Barbershop scent, has a unique touch of honey.
Of course Maggards London Barbershop is good.
Also I do not think mentioned yet, I like Wet Shaving Products (WSP) Rustic Shaving Soap Barbershop.
I also have Mickey Lee Soap Works Kraken Barbershop, the scent is a tad different than the others.
** I actually for the heck of it mashed Mickey Lee and WSP together and it all fit back into the Mickey Lee tub, it works and smells good, I honestly like it better now.

What I sampled...
Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe and like that scent too, seems like good stuff.
Barrister & Mann Seville, that scent is a little different than the others, I like it, seems to have a stronger scent than than most too.
Reef Point Soaps Classic Barbershop.
Stirling Soap Co Barbershop, but didn't care for as much as others.
Chiseled Face Groomatorium's Ghost Town Barber, another I didn't care for, the smokey flavor was too prominent for me.

Yet to try...
I actually have not tried Mikes yet.
Shaver Heaven from Australia has a Barbershop scent I would not mind trying too.
Dr. Jon's Classic, I have not decided if I want to try that yet.
I think there are others too That I can not think of now.

Of all the soap scents I have tried the Classic Barbershop is my favorite!
I prefer the barber shop scents that are described as "Bergamot, Basil, Oakmoss, Patchouli". Not so much the ones described as "Bay Rum, Amber, Musk" usually called 1920's barber shoppe.

What I have...
I would say for me at the top of the list for best performance of the soap and the scent is Cold River Soap Works Select American Barber Shop.
Followed by a new artisan one I found that I really like too, J. L. Davis Soap Co. on Etsy and his Bee Sharp Barbershop scent, has a unique touch of honey.
Of course Maggards London Barbershop is good.
Also I do not think mentioned yet, I like Wet Shaving Products (WSP) Rustic Shaving Soap Barbershop.
I also have Mickey Lee Soap Works Kraken Barbershop, the scent is a tad different than the others.
** I actually for the heck of it mashed Mickey Lee and WSP together and it all fit back into the Mickey Lee tub, it works and smells good, I honestly like it better now.

What I sampled...
Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe and like that scent too, seems like good stuff.
Barrister & Mann Seville, that scent is a little different than the others, I like it, seems to have a stronger scent than than most too.
Reef Point Soaps Classic Barbershop.
Stirling Soap Co Barbershop, but didn't care for as much as others.
Chiseled Face Groomatorium's Ghost Town Barber, another I didn't care for, the smokey flavor was too prominent for me.

Yet to try...
I actually have not tried Mikes yet.
Shaver Heaven from Australia has a Barbershop scent I would not mind trying too.
Dr. Jon's Classic, I have not decided if I want to try that yet.
I think there are others too That I can not think of now.

Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience when it comes to barbershop scents! I, too, prefer the bergamot, basil, oakmoss, and white patchouli varieties. If my nose's memory is correct, Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe and Maggard London Barbershop are pretty much identical in scent. I'm anxiously awaiting my order from Mike's to process (he's currently on 4/6-7...I ordered on 4/8.) I'll be pleased if it smells similar to the other two that I've tried.

Mystic Waters sent me a sample and the scent is too weak but performance is good.
I tried Mystic Waters Bay Rum scent when I first started wet shaving and didn't care much for it at the time. Thought it was difficult to lather and wasn't crazy about the scent. My appreciation for more "classic" scents has grown, as has my lathering competency, so I may have to give them another shot.

Last edited:
If my nose's memory is correct, Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe and Maggard London Barbershop are pretty much identical in scent.
The Cold River and WSP are the same scents to those as well, there may be a varying degree of intensity between them tho, Maggards could stand to be a little stronger in my opinion.
I will some day throw in an order for Mike's.

The Cold River and WSP are the same scents to those as well, there may be a varying degree of intensity between them tho, Maggards could stand to be a little stronger in my opinion.
I will some day throw in an order for Mike's.
Good to know. I actually just bought the Maggard aftershave, so I can't comment on the soap, but the aftershave has decent staying power for not being an edt. I can't wait to try the Mike's soap! It's one of the few popular-on-here brands that I've yet to try.

I have mikes, maggards and stirlings barbershop scents

stirling is a different scent than mikes/maggards as it is more powdery to me

mikes and stirling have a better post shave than maggards but maggards isn't bad at all.

I still don't think you can beat stirling for the price.

I have mikes, maggards and stirlings barbershop scents

stirling is a different scent than mikes/maggards as it is more powdery to me

mikes and stirling have a better post shave than maggards but maggards isn't bad at all.

I still don't think you can beat stirling for the price.

Thanks for the assessment! I have Maggard Orange Menthol and Limes & Bergamot soaps, and while I really enjoy both of them, I agree that they're JUST a notch below top tier (Strop Shoppe & MdC for me.) As I said before, I've never been crazy about the Stirling shaving soaps that I've tried in the past, but I may have to give them another shot. I use their bath soaps exclusively. Maybe next time I order bath soaps from them, I'll get a puck or two of their shaving soap.

Sounds like you have quite a bit of experience when it comes to barbershop scents! I, too, prefer the bergamot, basil, oakmoss, and white patchouli varieties. If my nose's memory is correct, Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe and Maggard London Barbershop are pretty much identical in scent. I'm anxiously awaiting my order from Mike's to process (he's currently on 4/6-7...I ordered on 4/8.) I'll be pleased if it smells similar to the other two that I've tried.

Mike's smells pretty much identical to Strop Shoppe. I have both and love both

Mike has the best post shave feel while SS is the easiest and most protective lather

Mike's smells pretty much identical to Strop Shoppe. I have both and love both

Mike has the best post shave feel while SS is the easiest and most protective lather

That's awesome! I can't imagine a soap having a better post shave feel than Strop Shoppe, so you saying that Mike's surpasses it has me even more excited! I couldn't agree more re: SS's ease of lather. It can be done falling out of bed.

That's awesome! I can't imagine a soap having a better post shave feel than Strop Shoppe, so you saying that Mike's surpasses it has me even more excited! I couldn't agree more re: SS's ease of lather. It can be done falling out of bed.

When you rinse your face after your last pass you will feel like theres butter all over your face. Smooth and moisturized.

I completely forgot about Seville! I actually had a sample of it, and while I thought it was good, I preferred my Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe sample. Thanks for the input though.

You guys have me considering giving Stirling another chance. I do recall that I only tried bowl lathering Stirling the last go around. The only thing that somewhat concerns me is that from what I've read on here, the scent of Stirling isn't very much like Strop Shoppe's or others. What say you?

Stirling Barbershop definitely does not smell similar to Mike's Barbershop. Stirling is sweeter and darker (ya I know, neither of those two adjectives are scent descriptions... ). I love them both, but Mike's Barbershop is my absolute favorite soap scent. I wish I could get an aftershave that smelled just like it.

Stirling Barbershop definitely does not smell similar to Mike's Barbershop. Stirling is sweeter and darker (ya I know, neither of those two adjectives are scent descriptions... ). I love them both, but Mike's Barbershop is my absolute favorite soap scent. I wish I could get an aftershave that smelled just like it.

Well after much anticipation, my tin of Mike's Barbershop arrived in the mailbox today, as well as a package from Maggard Razors! Double score! As others have said, Mike's, Maggard, and Strop Shoppe all have nearly identical Barbershop scents. If you're looking for an aftershave to match Mike's, buy Maggard London Barbershop. Love this scent! Anyhow... I did a test lather, and I think this is going to be a keeper. Look forward to shaving with it soon. Thanks for all of the input guys! I'll post my thoughts after an actual shave soon.

I too received a new soap yesterday, the made in Australia artisan shaving soap Shaver Heaven in Barbershop scent. I ordered it from KnockOut Shave for $15. The scent is the one that we like and is spot on with the others, maybe even a tad more stronger scent out of the tub.
I used it last night to shave. I do not know enough to evaluate soaps, I just know if it works or not for me... and it works. It was easy to build a lot of nice thick lather. Performance was on par with all the others, except for the Cold River Soap, that one is the king of the hill for me anyway (and it better be for $25:). I seem to want to compare Shaver Heaven mostly to Maggard's, probably because it works the same, smells the same and comes in the same style container with 5oz of product in an 8oz tub, only instead of brown it is a bright cobalt blue which is nice.
So I would recommend that to anyone that wants to try the same Barbershop scent from a different maker.

I didn't have a chance to post my thoughts on my first shave with Mike's Barbershop yesterday, so here's my take: Outstanding! I used my Rubberset 400 brush with a 24 mm TGN HMW knot to bowl lather in my G12 scuttle. Loaded up for about 30 seconds and proceeded to lather with ease. Great cushion, sickness, and overall protective shave. No nicks or irritation and, as expected, the post shave feel was ridiculously good. Couldn't help but rub my supple face all day long lol. I'll have to shave a few more times with this soap before I'll say that it surpasses my current #1 shaving soap (Strop Shoppe special edition with tallow,) but it's definitely right up there with it. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Top Bottom