Barbershop(pe) anyone?

Which Barbershop(pe)?

• Maggard Razors London Barbershop

• Strop Shoppe Barbershoppe

• Mike's Barbershop

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
Stirling Barbershop

I bowl lather: lots of product, lots of water, lots of agitation = lots of great lather.

Great scent, too.

--Bob

Phoenix Artisan Clubguy is my favorite. I have the pre-shave soap, shaving soap & aftershave balm. Smells like Pinaud Clubman.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I'm thinking either Mike's or Maggard, as they're my favorite vendor. Too bad Mike's doesn't have any in stock! "Phoenix Artisan" won't be getting any of my business.

I don't think there is a better Barber shop soap than Strop Shoppe's. It has cocoa and shea butter and of course there are many sops that will give an equal shave and maybe even one a bit better however the double butter formula used in a regular basis will transform your skin like no other soap on the market. Not only the best BS soap but I put it as one of the best soaps on the planet because of the added benefit to your skin that not many other formulas offer. Runner up for scent is Sterling, a niche BS soap but light years from SS.

Thanks for all of the suggestions guys. I'm thinking either Mike's or Maggard, as they're my favorite vendor. Too bad Mike's doesn't have any in stock! "Phoenix Artisan" won't be getting any of my business.

I get that. I bought CaD before the hoopla.

I don't think there is a better Barber shop soap than Strop Shoppe's. It has cocoa and shea butter and of course there are many sops that will give an equal shave and maybe even one a bit better however the double butter formula used in a regular basis will transform your skin like no other soap on the market. Not only the best BS soap but I put it as one of the best soaps on the planet because of the added benefit to your skin that not many other formulas offer. Runner up for scent is Sterling, a niche BS soap but light years from SS.

I couldn't agree more regarding Strop Shoppe's "double butter" formula being great for the skin. I have several other of their soaps, and even had a sample of their Barbershoppe, and absolutely love them. The only reason that I am leaning towards the other two that I mentioned is because I haven't tried one brand (Mike's) and the other is my favorite vendor (Maggard.)

I get that. I bought CaD before the hoopla.

I had a couple of HTGAM products prior to that "situation" as well. They were okay, but definitely didn't measure up to many of the "reviews" that I'd read online. Wonder why? [emoji87]

I couldn't agree more regarding Strop Shoppe's "double butter" formula being great for the skin. I have several other of their soaps, and even had a sample of their Barbershoppe, and absolutely love them. The only reason that I am leaning towards the other two that I mentioned is because I haven't tried one brand (Mike's) and the other is my favorite vendor (Maggard.)

I had a couple of HTGAM products prior to that "situation" as well. They were okay, but definitely didn't measure up to many of the "reviews" that I'd read online. Wonder why? [emoji87]

I do like the scent of CaD. Performance is ok....

Quick update....decided to pick up a bottle of Maggard's London Barbershop aftershave splash, as it's the only "barbershop" aftershave that I was considering, and also ordered a tin of Mike's Barbershop soap. The Maggard's arrived yesterday, and if my nose's memory is correct, it's nearly identical to Strop Shoppe's version of Barbershoppe. The reason I went with Mike's soap is twofold...I wanted to try a soap brand that I haven't used yet, and I wanted to see which Barbershop scent I preferred. I REALLY like the Maggard's scent, so hopefully I'll enjoy Mike's equally. Thanks again for all the input guys!

Mikes, Maggards, and Strop Shoppe all smell very close to me. I love Mikes. Top tier soap. Strop Shoppe, like Mikes, such an easy soap to lather. I only tried a sample of Maggards, but it still had great performance.
I have gone through a full bar and a sample of Mikes Barbershop, and and am just about done with a Strop Shoppe jar. I 3017 my soaps.

Mikes, Maggards, and Strop Shoppe all smell very close to me. I love Mikes. Top tier soap. Strop Shoppe, like Mikes, such an easy soap to lather. I only tried a sample of Maggards, but it still had great performance.
I have gone through a full bar and a sample of Mikes Barbershop, and and am just about done with a Strop Shoppe jar. I 3017 my soaps.
I'm glad to hear that they're all similar in scent. I'm also glad to hear that Mike's is on par with Strop Shoppe performance-wise. Variety is the spice of life, so I thought I'd give a new soap maker a shot even though I'm completely content with the soaps that I have.

I've only tried Stirling and Mike's. I actually prefer the Stirling, although I like Mike's too. Mike's is primarily lavender scented to me, whereas the Stirling smells more powdery with just a tiny hint of lavender, and my daughter and wife think they smell a touch of nutmeg or cinnamon in there too.

Maggards London Barbershop
or
Through the Fire Fine Craft Wisp

Both are wonderful barbershop scents made by Maria Arman. The TTFFC scent is a bit lighter than the Maggard, if you prefer less intense scents.

You Cannot Teach an Old Dogma New Tricks
-Dorothy Parker-

I've only tried Stirling and Mike's. I actually prefer the Stirling, although I like Mike's too. Mike's is primarily lavender scented to me, whereas the Stirling smells more powdery with just a tiny hint of lavender, and my daughter and wife think they smell a touch of nutmeg or cinnamon in there too.
Interesting. I wasn't expecting a lavender note with the Mike's barbershop. I don't get that at all with the Maggard's London Barbershop...just the "traditional" barbershop (i.e. bergamot, basil, oakmoss, and patchouli) notes. IIRC, Mike's description on his website list similar scents for barbershop. Stirling sounds like the outlier when compared to other barbershop scents based on comments in this thread.

Maggards London Barbershop
or
Through the Fire Fine Craft Wisp

Both are wonderful barbershop scents made by Maria Arman. The TTFFC scent is a bit lighter than the Maggard, if you prefer less intense scents.

You Cannot Teach an Old Dogma New Tricks
-Dorothy Parker-

Thanks for the heads up! I GENERALLY prefer semi-strong scented soaps, so it sounds like Maggard's would be more my thing. I know that I'm a fan of the aftershave. I used it this morning after shaving with my R41 loaded with a Permasharp Super using Strop Shoppe Baker Street w/tallow. Very nice face feel, and I'm still aware of the scent 3 hours later.

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
I absolutely love the performance of Maggard's and Mike's but I also absolutely HATE the smell of both of their Barbershop scents. I haven't tried Stroppe Shoppe yet to see how I like it. My complaint with the other two Barbershops is that they smell completely synthetic to me. I don't get any hint of a single essential oil in either, nothing natural about them, so they essentially smell like an air freshener to me. The best Barbershop I've found so far is B&M Seville. Much more natural scent and actually reminds me of a Barbershop rather than an air freshener plus the performance is right there with Mike's and Maggards if not better for my tastes. Obviously, YMMV.

Mystic Waters and Stirling's Barbershop scents. Both are terrific...can't go wrong with either scent and as with their other soaps, performance is incredible.

Top Bottom