What's new

Baratza Vario

To make a long story short, I've decided its time to upgrade my grinder from my Rancilio rocky that I've had for about 6 years. I'm torn between the Compak K3 Elite and the Baratza Vario. I really like the looks of the Compak, but the reviews and functionality of the Vario have me hooked.

I primarily drink straight shots, only one per morning before I leave the house. i don't mind the doser, but don't need it obviously. This will be a dedicated espresso machine as I have a Baratza Virtuoso for my drip coffee. I've read plenty over at Coffeegeek and Home Barista, but just looking for anyone here that may be able to put me over the edge.

Thanks

I went from a Mazzer Mini to the Vario, and it was a noticeable upgrade from both the cup and the ease of use point of view. It has been going strong now from a couple of years, I don't regret my purchase one bit.

The results (see vids below) speak for themselves. I've used quite a few grinders, and I was actually considering one of the "Titans" that was 5-6X more expensive and I ended up with the Vario - and I have no regrets. It's not built like a Compak - but for me, that was a good thing. I don't want/need a 30lb monstrous grinder on the counter, the electronic doser IS actually a big deal (once you have it) and the Vario is a lot more practical for home use. I was overwhelmed by the amount of data available, but one thing was consistent... time and time again i'd find posts from REAL users with REAL street cred (IE: folks who actually owned the Vario and other $1,000+ grinders and had pictures/videos to prove it) who actually posted time and time again - their titans were better grinders (as you'd expect) but they use their Vario more and/or preferred it overall due to the convenience, size, etc and felt the quality of grind was close enough to their Titans that they wouldn't feel they'd be missing much.

Seeing as how you can get a new Vario (with the purchase of a machine) for $350, and a refurb without a machine for about $350, and folks with $1,500-2,000 grinders are saying they wouldn't miss much if they only had the Vario and use it more than their Titan's - it's an easy decision in my opinion.

Try to find ANYONE with a Titan grinder who felt the need to buy a Compak when they already had a Titan, or further - felt a Compak wouldn't be a big time (and problematic) step down from their Titan and you'll be searching for hours if such a situation exists. Search for Vario's vs Titans, and/or Titan owners with a Vario they VERY much like - and you'll be overwhelmed.

Baratza only made two mistakes with the Vario... they didn't put it in a 10lb metal case, and they didn't charge enough for people to take it as seriously as they should :lol:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp2FypZaljw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH8a9M0c6ps[/YOUTUBE]

I was overwhelmed by the amount of data available, but one thing was consistent... time and time again i'd find posts from REAL users with REAL street cred (IE: folks who actually owned the Vario and other $1,000+ grinders and had pictures/videos to prove it) who actually posted time and time again - their titans were better grinders (as you'd expect) but they use their Vario more and/or preferred it overall due to the convenience, size, etc and felt the quality of grind was close enough to their Titans that they wouldn't feel they'd be missing much.

Search for Vario's vs Titans, and/or Titan owners with a Vario they VERY much like - and you'll be overwhelmed.

Thanks Joel, I was hoping you'd chime in. I had pretty much decided that the Vario was in my future, but you view on this solidified it. The point about titan owners who also own Varios is spot on in everything I've read. Now to order it up...

My Maestro is starting to act up lately and I've been thinking of something new. The Vario looks like it would fit my needs while satisfying Christine's desire to keep the counter looking nice (i.e. it's not too big).

Thanks Joel, I was hoping you'd chime in. I had pretty much decided that the Vario was in my future, but you view on this solidified it. The point about titan owners who also own Varios is spot on in everything I've read. Now to order it up...

Make sure to post about it when you get it!

I finally had a chance to give the new grinder some work. Unfortunately my pump died in my machine the day after I ordered the grinder, and then I was out of town for a couple of days. Regardless, the new Vario is a great machine. It was easy to adjust, produces incredibly fluffy, consistent grinds, and has such a small countertop footprint, it's fantastic.

I'm not sure if it was the new pump, new seals that I replaced at the same time, and/or the grinder, but my espresso is the best looking, best tasting and pretty to look at that I've produced in a long time. I couldn't be happier.

After discussing the Vario with a co worker who had a Mazzer, and a brand new La Spaziale Vivaldi, he did an hour of research and ordered one too. He also remarked how fluffy and consistent the grinds were, but isn't quite ready to give up on the Mazzer - yet.

I finally had a chance to give the new grinder some work. Unfortunately my pump died in my machine the day after I ordered the grinder, and then I was out of town for a couple of days. Regardless, the new Vario is a great machine. It was easy to adjust, produces incredibly fluffy, consistent grinds, and has such a small countertop footprint, it's fantastic.

I'm not sure if it was the new pump, new seals that I replaced at the same time, and/or the grinder, but my espresso is the best looking, best tasting and pretty to look at that I've produced in a long time. I couldn't be happier.

After discussing the Vario with a co worker who had a Mazzer, and a brand new La Spaziale Vivaldi, he did an hour of research and ordered one too. He also remarked how fluffy and consistent the grinds were, but isn't quite ready to give up on the Mazzer - yet.

What kind of Mazzer?

Top Bottom