What's new

Balin's Brushes, Blades and Assorted Baloney!

SOTD:
Lush Kalamazoo face and beard wash
Proraso white preshave
Merrow of Clare Soap/AS
WR2 1.15 OC
Nacet 3
Semogue Silvertip LE
View attachment 1850069
Rating 5/5 Comfortable BBS

This combo just sort of delivers. It was really nice to use the Semogue Silvertip today. I think it may even be softer than my Shavemac Silvertip, but I will test that tomorrow.

@huck1680 and @cajunrph I think I am going to book a month. I may head out to Nova Scotia for the month. Stay in the Pictou/New Glasgow area for 2 weeks then maybe go to the South Shore Liverpool area for the next 2 weeks.

Cheers!
Enjoy the down time.

SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Merrow of Clare Soap/AS
WR1 .67 OC
Nacet 1
Shavemac Unique 2 band 24/48
1000005968.jpg

I think it was Nacet blades that turned me on to Stainless Steel blades. These just work for me, however not as smooth as GSB's 😁.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on a month long visit to Nova Scotia yet. I think I may do it as a last minute thing to see how I feel after my job is actually done. The idea of spending money without having a job lined up is weighing on me. I have been plugging through some corporate education. Some of it feels like a waste of time, but I am picking up the odd nugget!

Cheers.

Eric_75

Not made for these times.
SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Merrow of Clare Soap/AS
WR1 .67 OC
Nacet 1
Shavemac Unique 2 band 24/48
View attachment 1851105

I think it was Nacet blades that turned me on to Stainless Steel blades. These just work for me, however not as smooth as GSB's 😁.

I still haven't pulled the trigger on a month long visit to Nova Scotia yet. I think I may do it as a last minute thing to see how I feel after my job is actually done. The idea of spending money without having a job lined up is weighing on me. I have been plugging through some corporate education. Some of it feels like a waste of time, but I am picking up the odd nugget!

Cheers.
Keeping you in my prayers, brother.

SOYD:
Hot water facecloth
Proraso white preshave
Merrow of Clare Soap/AS
Henson Mild
Nacet 2
Classic 2 2 band
1000005975.jpg

Rating 4/5 Comfortable DFS

I had a late shave today at 11:37pm. I have been shaving around 5pm lately after a shower and a day at work. I always shave after shower but not tonight. I mowed the lawn around 5 and hopped into the shower right after and as I was getting out of the shower, the Friday night Pizza arrived so I didn't shave. Ok it was not like some of the movies we have all seen, I did not pay for the pizza in a towel. I was dressed 🤣.

I have never had great results with the Henson, but tonight was different. My shave was surprisingly good! I skipped my shower prep with a exfoliating face wash and just used a hot water face cloth and some proraso pre-shave. I had zero alum and afteshave feedback and the only issues with post shave ATG stubble are on 2 spots on my neck right under my ear on both sides. With more frequent use of the Henson I am sure I could figure it out. @T Bone would you think a Henson medium would still deliver a low alum feedback shave with a closer result?

Cheers!

With more frequent use of the Henson I am sure I could figure it out. @T Bone would you think a Henson medium would still deliver a low alum feedback shave with a closer result?

I'm no @T Bone, but I am sure you could get that. The mild and medium are quite similar, the medium just gets you done with less buffing necessary. In that way it would be just as close, with less work, and possibly even less feedback. You've used a Henson, you'll just need to continue to not add too much pressure, the mild tolerates more than the medium. I love my Hensons!

T Bone's fave is the medium, but you could even try the aggressive. That is my favorite Henson and sharing the top of my den. With a light touch I can get an even closer shave and once I tuned in the Henson +++, I was able to get it with no feedback at all, even from alcohol. I don't know all of your preferences, but you could give that a shot. Does T Bone still have a +++ up on the BST?

Ok it was not like some of the movies we have all seen, I did not pay for the pizza in a towel. I was dressed 🤣.
First you're looking through windows with questionable images, and now watching movies when one answers the pizza delivery driver in a towel. WTH? Haha. Real life is different, in the window is a granny, and the pizza delivery driver is some middle age guy who looks more like the Inn Keeper on Canterbury Tales. Ya know, the red-headed guy with hair growing out the mole on his nose, that guy. He's handling your pizza.

SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Merrow of Clare Soap/AS
WR1 .67 OC
Nacet 3
Shavemac Finest 22/44
1000005988.jpg

No pizza stories today 🤣. I may have had a few pints with the pizza, as you could probably gather from my post.

It was a bit of a rainy day, so not much to report except we finished up the Netflix series The 8 Show. Over all I enjoyed the series but there definitely some whacked scenes. Tonight we are going to watch Dune part 2!!

Cheers!

SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Merrow of Clare Soap/AS
WR1 .74 OC
Super Max Blue Diamond 1
Shavemac D01 Silvertip 22/46
1000005997.jpg

This soap has about 20 shaves on it and am probably 2 shaves away from seeing a ring of despair! The Kodiak soaps are only 4oz soaps instead of the 6oz of their AON base. I might start trying a little lighter loading to see if I can stretch this soap out. I think its a great summer scent and will go well with July in Southern Ontario!

I had lunch today with my middle child. Lol, it was a little more civilized than last weekend when I was chasing him to pay his cell phone bill 😒. The fish tacos and the company was great. We sat on the patio but switched to shade after about 20mins. I think that was enough for my vitamin D conversion for the day!

Cheers!

SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Merrow of Clare Soap/AS
WR1 .74 OC
Super Max Blue Diamond 2
Chubby 1 Super
1000006010.jpg

I skipped yesterday so the Blue Diamond had two days of growth to deal with. The blade performed well albeit there was some tugging around the Adams apple. There was still minimal alum and aftershave feedback which was surprising. 😃

I broke through the bottom of the soap today. Its a smaller 4oz tub but I thought it would have lasted a little longer. I do enjoy this soap and am debating whether I will replace it . Lol, who am kidding I most likely will 🤣.

Cheers!

SOTD:
Proraso white preshave
Merrow of Clare Soap/AS
WR1 .74 OC
Super Max Blue Diamond 3
D01 Silvertip 22/46
1000006017.jpg

The Blue Diamond is a 3 shave blade for me and now its binned.

I think my Shavemac D01 Silvertip is broken in. Its a duplicate of my antique gold handled one and I thought it was not quite as dense as the original but now after a number of shaves it felt exactly like the original. I don't know if it broke in, or just was conditioned by the shaving soap but it felt denser and softer today 🤷‍♂️.

On a personal note, I think I shed my Brain Cloud today. I love that term even though it came from the only crappy Tom Hanks movie I know, Joe vs the Volcano. I guess I just accepted that the future I had planned will not be and that I am in a good spot. It was one thing to say it, but a different thing to believe it 🍻.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Top Bottom