What's new

Badger is better than boar

I use boar and badger as well as badger/boar blends. Yes, they are all different...and they all get the job done. We ain't performing brain surgery; we're just beating soap or cream and water together for Pete's sake.

Changing things up during the week makes it a cool hobby.

I actually find my boars to load hard soaps just as fast as my badgers.
If you can't get 5 good passes with a boar you are not loading it right IMO.
I find using my Semogue 2011 LE with the Marco method to be the quickest and best lather that I can make, even better than my D01's, or my old chubby.

I think the big disservice to new shavers is to tell them that a $300 badger will be objectively better than a $30 boar. Some of us have found the opposite to be true (subjectively, based on personal preference).
However, I agree that telling new shavers that boars are objectively better than badgers is equally wrong. You can't tell someone what they will prefer, especially when they have no idea what their preferences are yet.

Agree with your last point. They have to try the badger in order to realize they like it better. :wink2: If they stop at boars because they are the flavor of the day, that will never happen.
And they may have to try a quality boar to realize (like me and some others) they like it better. If they're told that badgers are objectively better, and that "money spent on boars is just delaying the inevitable jump to the better shaving brush," then they will probably go straight from a cheap VDH boar to a badger without trying out a good Semogue boar (for example).

I agree completely that it's silly for people to be saying that boars are way better than badgers, but I think it's wrong to do the opposite as well, and to mistake opinion for fact.

This whole discussion is pointless, because there is no objective standard for "better" when it comes to brushes. How can something be objectively better when there's no standard? Better in this context has no meaning.

Better is as better does. Therefore, if Shaver X prefers his boar brush to his badger brush, his boar brush is better. Period. And there's no way for anybody to prove otherwise.

Here is why I think badgers are better:

1) Soaps load faster.
2) Lather builds quicker.
3) The density of the badger makes it more efficiently distribute lather, providing more passes.
4) Shorter loft provides more massage, and an overall better exfoliation process thereby preparing the beard for a better shave.

Boars lack in these areas:

5) Typically have a high loft. I believe this is to hold more product, as it releases so much more lather you run out sooner.
6) Longer loading time
7) Less density results in the lather being spent in 1 to 2 passes
8) Splay out everywhere, not tidy at all.

9) I think this could be proven categorically and objectively, not just subjectively.

I respect a guy who stick his neck out, as I think you do here with your conclusions :thumbup:

Now, I love brushes; badgers, boars, horses and a mix of those as well (haven't tried synthetic yet) and I don't agree with your title of this thread nor all of your conclusions. I'm not saying you are wrong, because you are right with the preferences you have, but those preferences are most definitely not identical with all members'.

I have taken the liberty to number some of your statements, to make it easier for myself to comment :001_smile

1) Not necessarily, my Semogue 620 is probably the fastest loading brush I have.
2) Not necessarily, again the 620 is very fast as is the 1438 and 1520.
3) No, my dense boars like the Semogue LE's can hold just as much lather as my dense badgers. Besides I don't think it's fair to compare a dense badger with a not so dense boar. If I compare my quite dense Semogue 2009 LE with a not very dense badger, the badger loose in all areas.
4) Not in my experience. My short lofted boars or mixed hair provides just as much exfoliation as the badgers. Some of my badgers are even so soft tipped that I don't think they have any exfoliating properties whatsoever.

5) You may be right about the loft, but that's because they got more backbone. I don't normally run out sooner.
6) Not necessarily. I got several boars that will load faster than quite a few of my badgers.
7) Not to my experience. I normally get enough lather for a 4 pass shave with touch ups from all my brushes.
8) No. This depends on the setting of the hairs in the knot and the loft. I have boars that are quite firm in the knot and almost doesn't splay at all, for example a vintage Victoria and a Semogue 1800.

9) Most of the above is not subject to objectivity in my opinion, as it is very much based on the feel of the brush - and the feel is a rather personal matter.

I don't think one type of hair is better than another, they have different properties and this is what makes this a great hobby; the ability to have a great variety :biggrin1:

I'm basing my experience on these brushes:

Badgers
Edwin Jagger Large Silvertip
Dovo Pure Badger
The Art of Shaving Pure Badger
The Art of Shaving Fine Badger
Victoria Butterscotch, TGN Silvertip
No Name Butterscotch, TGN Silvertip
No Name creme Butterscotch, TGN Silvertip
Ever-Ready 75; TGN Pure Badger
Kent P20 Pure Badger
Semogue 2040HD Silvertip
Safetyrazors Silvertip
New Forest Best Badger (2201)
Foroafeitado-Shavemac D01 Silvertip
Semogue 2010 LE Silvertip
Semogue Owners Club, 2-band Finest
S.X Brand, Pure Badger
Vie-Long, White Badger
H. L. Thäter Bruyére Silvertip
Vie-Long, 2-band Super Badger
Badger & Blade 2011 LE TGN 2-band Finest
Simpson Persian Jar (PJ2) Super Badger
Semogue 730HD Silvertip
PenWorks Super Silvertip
PenWorks Silvertip
Rubberset, cream butterscotch TGN 2-band Finest
5 Butterscotch TGN Silvertip
No Name Bone handled TGN 2-band Finest
Semogue 2011 LE, Finest badger, size 1
Semogue 2011 LE, Finest badger, size 2
Mühle LE Silvertip
Orso Pure Badger
Standart Pure Badger
Semogue Owners Club, 2-band Finest
B&B 2012 LE with Shavemac D01 2-band Finest
Boars
Ever-Ready 12a
Victoria
No Name travel brush
Omega 11137
Semogue 2009 LE
Gillette Standard
Culmak
Culmak
Frieb
No Name travel brush
Souplex Butterscotch mini brush
Ever-Ready 351B
Ever-Ready 79
No Name, metal
Semogue 1520
Semogue 2000
Victoria
No Name travel brush
No Name
Omega 10005
Vulfix 2234
No Name Butterscotch
No Name
Goldpunkt
Edwin Jagger
Semogue 1305
Semogue 1250
Semogue 830
French bakelite brush
English porcelain/bakelite brush
No Name
No Name
No Name
Semogue Owners Club
Semogue 610
Semogue 820
Semogue 1460
Semogue 2030B
Semogue 1800
Semogue 2011 LE, Finest bristle, size 1
Semogue 2011 LE, Finest bristle, size 2
No Name
No Name
Semogue 620
Semogue 1438
Horse
Vie-Long 13061
Vie-Long 13800
Vie-Long Professional no. 2
Vie-Long 14831M
Mixed hair
No Name
No Name
Gillette
Culmak Junior
Progress, 1943
Culmak Red Cross
Culmak Traveller
Culmak Jr.
Vie-Long Professional no. 2, boar/horse
Semogue Caravela LE Finest badger/boar

Apparently I couldn't have enjoyed using my Omega 10067 Boar with P.160 this morning and I didn't get that really rich lather that quickly covered my face, softened my beard and contributed to a great shave.

Oh well better try again tomorrow. :001_smile

I use boar and badger as well as badger/boar blends. Yes, they are all different...and they all get the job done. We ain't performing brain surgery; we're just beating soap or cream and water together for Pete's sake.

Changing things up during the week makes it a cool hobby.

This whole discussion is pointless, because there is no objective standard for "better" when it comes to brushes. How can something be objectively better when there's no standard? Better in this context has no meaning.

Better is as better does. Therefore, if Shaver X prefers his boar brush to his badger brush, his boar brush is better. Period. And there's no way for anybody to prove otherwise.

+1 to both

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by jsj_297
Boars wayyyyyy <<<< badger...not even close.

I get those confused sometimes too. Fixed that for ya!:lol:

Classic!!

Things you said that I categorically disagree with:

Shorter loft provides more massage, and an overall better exfoliation process thereby preparing the beard for a better shave

They perform the job (creating lather and delivering it to one's face) in a faster, more efficient manner. I simplify this by saying "better".

Worth has more to do with timing than anything else

It is just better suited to the job at hand.

We all seek backbone and density, there is a reason for that.

What you're missing is that YOU have defined "worth" according to the specific values that are important to you. I value different things in a brush, and could give two figs about most of the things you're putting forward as important. That's exactly what "YMMV" means, that everyone has different needs and different perspectives.

And I agree with Takeshi - outside of a few exuberant newbies, every review here is bracketed with conditional statements about how value is subjective.

Brush choice is highly selective personal choice. I support your opinion that you care for badgers and the reasons you like to use them instead of a boar.

I was of the mind set that badgers were superior and the BRUSH to have in my den. I have a LuJin and Parker Badger, I have 2 Semogue Boars, Omega Boar, Vulfix Boar.
Personally the performance of the my two Semogue is far better then either of the badgers. In my den boars are the BRUSH

For the record; I never claimed boar was any better than badger.

I don't think they are, I just like them better. Sorry....:lol:

I wouldn't have an issue with this thread, if not for the biting nature of some of blondie's replies.

For myself, though I have multiple brushes, I only use one, my Semogue SOC boar. I'll readily admit that my only comparisons are to a Fendrihan... best, I believe, and a Pens of the Forest brush set with what he refers to as super silvertip.

These brushes were both, shaving wise, disappointments, if nice to have on the shelf. I find them to have too little backbone, as though I'm rubbing a sudsy pillow on my face.

Now, I realize this doesn't condemn all badger brushes, in fact I've been meaning to purchase another, something with a shorter loft to help correct that backbone problem.

If you were looking to give newbies a balanced perspective, and counter any boar hype, I congratulate you, you've done that, but I will say this, for a starter brush, or a brush in general, boars do deserve acknowledgement, and yes as much acnowledgement as they get.

Every mention of a boar you've read was from someone who genuinely enjoyed lathering up with a boar brush, there was no falsity, only an accurate representation of that enjoyment. I see no way of taking issue with that. The people suggesting boars are not lying maliciously, and it is shortsighted to say the least to suggest that they are all ignorant of badger brushes.

The very simple truth is that I was miserable lathering with a badger when I started shaving, until I picked up a ten dollar Omega, which led to me enjoying the lathering as much as the rest of the shave. As long as I'm enjoying the experience, is there any true grounds for objection?

Top Bottom