What's new

Badger is better than boar

All I can say is I had a different experience. When I started all it seemed everything was boar stinks, badger is the best. As a newbie I took this to heart for a long time an always assumed boars were junk, until I started seeing more of the posts on boar. Made me think maybe I should try something different.

I have multiple badgers from Simpsons, Rooney, Edwin Jagger, Kim Son Vu and more. Pures, Bests, Supers and Silvertips. I now have on boar - an SOC. Is the boar better than my badgers? No. Are my badgers better than my boar? No. Each have properties I enjoy and that I may prefer on any given day.

I agree I don't want people to say boars are the best ever and have every newbie only try and use them. Conversely I also don't want everyone say badgers are better and boars are junk. I want people to give their impressions of each and have the prospective buyer decide. I wish I had a more balance view when I started.

Lastly, I don't get the impression anyone is claiming boars are better. I feel they're excited about something new they like. I also don't get the same impression for badger reviews. I see that boars are more talked about now but I don't get the feeling boar users are taking over. Looking at the top page of the brush forum the majority of posts are badger related (maybe 60%?) with the remainder being boar, synthetic and a combo. So I don't see a huge trend... seems to me as its more balance.

There seems to be much hype about boar brushes being better than badger as of late around here. I say, it's called "Badger and Blade" for a reason. I have a two fold purpose for this thread. First, I think new DE shavers are done a dis-service when this trend occurs. Money spent on boars is just delaying the inevitable jump to the better shaving brush. Second, I want to encourage others posting to this thread to honestly disclose what they are comparing boars to in the badger camp. There is no way a boar compares to one of the high end badgers.

Here is why I think badgers are better:

Soaps load faster.
Lather builds quicker.
The density of the badger makes it more efficiently distribute lather, providing more passes.
Shorter loft provides more massage, and an overall better exfoliation process thereby preparing the beard for a better shave.

Boars lack in these areas:

Typically have a high loft. I believe this is to hold more product, as it releases so much more lather you run out sooner.
Longer loading time
Less density results in the lather being spent in 1 to 2 passes
Splay out everywhere, not tidy at all.

Boars I have tried:

Omega 81052
Omega Professional
Omega turnback travel boar
Omega 10066
VDH Boar

Admittedly I have not tried a Semogue, but is it worth it? Not only would it have to be better than the Omega's, it would also have to leapfrog the badgers.

Badgers I have tried:

Omega Pure badger
Omega 636 Silvertip
Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger Style 1 Small
B&B Essential
Vintage Made Rite 650 with the original knot (50+ years old, NOS)
TGN Silvertip Grade A
Franks Shaving Finest (as bad as this was, still better than a boar)
8 restored brushes all with TGN finest lofts in various lofts and knot diameters

The Omega Professional boar was my first brush, and I still use it about three times per year. It is the only one that lets me do 3.5 passes without reloading. After it, I went to the Omega Pure badger, and saw a huge increase in performance. Then came the B&B Essential. Another improvement. I have since purchased the other Boars, mostly based on all the chatter on this forum, thinking I may be missing something and have not given boar a fair shot, but have always been let down.

Sorry if I upset the boar fans, but someone had to say it: They are not better than badgers. I think this could be proven categorically and objectively, not just subjectively.
Good post until you said you haven't tried a Semogue. Do that and you may have same opinion but right now, not credible. By the way, I love my badgers and my boars.

Gus

A final comment. I love shaving brushes. I have serious SBAD. I love the way different types of brushes feel on my face. But how important is a brush for the achievement of a great traditional shave? Very little! I've been shaving 54 yrs. and can get BBS with any damn brush.

Cranky Gus

I have several high end badgers, including a custom Simpson Eagle G3 in Best. The last three brushes that I've purchased have been Semogue boars. I have to admit that I use them more than half the time. I don't find the badger brushes better. The boars are great for face lathering soaps. They pick up soap easily, are very soft, and hold plenty of lather. Last month, I went through the SOTD thread, and found that over a third of the shaves were with boar brushes. These were usually members who have been here a while. There is a reason so many experienced members are reaching for boars this much.

Mike
+1...that about sums up my feelings. Truth is I like them both but in the last year I've been reaching for the boars more, especially for face lathering.

Thanks Phil!

I definitely think that your post has been largely misunderstood. You are not advocating that we abolish boar brushes you are just saying that, as a material, badger hair out performs boar bristle. I liken it to this: when I shoot my Smith and Wesson model 620 I can use rounds loaded to max specifications and get one hot and powerful round. However, I often use slightly weaker rounds because I like the way they handle better, a little less recoil, a little better grouping for me.

Some people may prefer boar for reasons like face feel and backbone even if a badger brush could build a better lather and do so more efficiently.

nrv216

Last edited:
imho i think that anyone who simply dismiss boars as no comparison to badger have simply not taken the time to learn to use a boar. i had three different badgers (one parker, a simpson chubby 2 and wee scot) and got rid of my badgers because i enjoyed the boars so much (its not that i disliked the badgers, its just that i couldn't justify keeping pricey brushes i stopped using, so i chose to sell them) for the money, or for any reason for that matter, i prefer boar to badger (not that there is anything wrong with that...of course not....)and feel sorry for those who have not unlocked the wonderful charm of a broken in boar...if you take the boar plunge i would recommend a semogue 620...what a wonderful brush.

Currently I have in the stable:

AOS Finest
Frank Shaving Silvertip (2)
Omega 80266
Semogue 1250 (new, only had a week)

As others have said, YMMV. If I'm feeling luxe, I reach for a silvertip. If I want scrubby, I reach for the Omega (Now Semogue). I like them all.

A good boar is a good brush. A good silvertip is a good brush.

Really, does it matter? I'm happy for anyone who's taken the plunge.

I've been wetshaving for 35 years. 33 Of those with cheap drugstore boars. Do I start ranting about all you johnny-come-lately's who think a $200 brush makes you a better shaver? I'm happy enough that more men have found wetshaving.

Lighten up, people. It's shaving. Enjoy it.

imho i think that anyone who simply dismiss boars as no comparison to badger have simply not taken the time to learn to use a boar.

+1

They still have their training wheels on. Why would the vast majority of Master Barbers choose boars? Due to cost? I think not. With supposed "longer loading times" and "not enough lather for 3+ passes" they'd be losing money. They could all just switch to badger and get more shaves done in the run of a day...and use less soap while doing it.

I guess these men in the Barber profession, just haven't seen the light yet. :001_rolle

I personally like Badger and Boar equally. One doesn't have to rival the other.

I have only used 1 brush and it is an entry level pure badger. I like it but have nothing to compare it to.

Not looking for which is better but are there any general comments you can make about boar vs pure badger vs best vs silvertip? What characteristics make them unique?

Thanks

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
Gosh I have owned about 40 plus higher end badger brushes to include Simpson, Rooney, and Plisson but currently own 3 boar brushes, 2 Semogue and 1 vintage. I enjoy the Semogues very much. I believe I will ask my wife or a nice Simpson for Christmas.

I really hate threads like this. There's no disservice in recommending a boar brush over a badger; as long as you use a quality boar or badger you'll get a great brush. You might have to change up your methods of shaving a bit if you use one or the other but they're both great options. I've never found boars to be as lacking as you have, blondie. I can't get a better shave with a boar or a badger....I can get a different experience shaving depending on which one I use. I'm at the point where I'll use boar or badger for a week at a time only to switch back thinking how great both are.

Badgers:
QED Select Best Badger 20x50ish
Savile Row 3226, 3124
TGN silvertip grade A 22x47
TGN finest 20x50 and 2247

Boar:
Semogues: 1305, 1438, 2011 LE size 1&2
Omegas: 30164, 81052

Horse
One vie log set at47mm

As previously mentioned this is a YMMV issue.

For badger I own the following and not in any particular order of preference.

Rooney 3/1 Super
Frank's Shaving 24mm Finest
Simpson Colonel X2L (Best)
2012 B&B LE w/TGN knot

As for boar I own the following, again in no specific order.

Semogue 2011 LE Bristle 1
Semogue 830
Omega 10066
Omega 10048
VDH cheapo

While I love my badgers, especially the 2012 LE, I find myself using boar brushes 60-70% of the time, why? I have no idea, I just seem to prefer them. When it comes to performance they all perform just as well as my badgers, excluding the VDH of course..that thing will not hold more than 2 passes worth of lather to save my life and it sheds like sheep dog. As a matter of fact my Semogue 830 is almost indistinguishable from a silvertip once it was broken in, It became extraordinarily soft and luxurious and slightly floppy but still enough backbone to load hard soaps well and it easily holds 4-5 passes of lather on a 30 second load, which is my standard load time no matter the type of brush I use, I consider it my badger in pigs clothing.

I dunno I just like boar, maybe it's because I don't own any high end badger but I honestly don't see my stance being changed by owning one, performance differences can't be that extreme between say..my B&B 2012 LE and a $400 Plisson, sure it will be more luxurious but I doubt it would be much better at whipping up lather. I don't think I could even shell out $150+ for a brush, I'm just too much of a cheap bastard..but that isn't related to this thread. :001_tongu

Last edited:
Apparently I couldn't have enjoyed using my Omega 10067 Boar with P.160 this morning and I didn't get that really rich lather that quickly covered my face, softened my beard and contributed to a great shave.

Oh well better try again tomorrow. :001_smile

...well at least not by any *objective* measure :wink2:

Top Bottom