What's new

Badger Funk

So... I have some boars and synthetics but only one badger, and to be honest, it's starting to show it’s age. Well I was in Winners the other day (local liquidation type store) and I came upon an Art of Shaving Lavender set with a badger brush for $19. Sold.

Anyway I’m trying this stuff out and thinking to myself, ya know, this stuff really smells bad. It wasn’t long before I clued in that the smell might just be coming from the new badger. Probably.

This got me thinking. We B&Bers put up with the funk knowing that it won’t last but you have to wonder about the first guy to use a badger brush. He didn’t know that the funk would subside. I can just picture some caveman from the 1700s thinking, this brush really makes my green Proraso smell horrible. If I were that caveman, I would’ve tossed the badger and ordered a smell free synthetic off of the internet. (Unless they had bricks and mortar stores/caves in the 1700s in which case I wouldn’t have to order online)

Just my thoughts. (Which may not be historically accurate)

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Never had a badger brush with even the slightest hint of any funk. Maybe I'm just lucky.

My last Badger brush from AOS also wreaked, badly. It took a few hours of soaks and about a week of use to get rid of.

Neither my first AOS brush (from years ago) or my Omega boar had this issue.

My latest Yaqi silvertip had a bit of funk to it when it was wet. I used dog shampoo on it a couple time, Dawn dishsoap a couple times. I did about 4 lathers with it, leaving the lather in the brush for a few hours before rinsing out. This and a week of regular usage got rid of 90% of the stank.

i think the definition of what smelled bad 200 years ago was quite a bit different, considering most people put all sorts perfumes on themselves just to cover up foul body odors.

Top Bottom