What's new

Back to the Merkur Progress

I've posted in numerous threads here how I switched from a Merkur Progress daily shaver to a Gillette Heritage over a year ago, and used the Heritage daily since.

After reading some of the praise for the Progress in various threads here, I decided to get out the Progress and try it again.

I had a wow moment 10 seconds into my shave. The Progress is just plain smooth, with adjustable aggressiveness as-well.

Needless to say I cleaned up the Gillette Heritage and put it away. I'm back to the Progress as my daily shaver. What a great shaver!

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a one shaver person, no rotation. Used my Progress for two years after using a Merkur 34c for one year, my first DE shaver.

For those who are curious, my blade of choice is and has been, Astra SP. I use the Progress set to 2. Its a new mold Progress with the small alignment arrow and zeros on the + sign.

As someone else posted, I also think its how the Progress blade is curved in the head that makes it so smooth. The Progress shaves under my nose perfectly, where the Heritage didn't.

Last edited:
I like the Progress a lot though I find the smooth handle to be the only issue with it. I prefer the Parker Variant over it for the handle but I could live with either if I only had to choose one.

Of all my razors the Progress gets the most use. I like the weight and balance and the handle grip is no issue.
I too keep going back to the Progress. It doesn't stay unsed for long. It's gives me the best and smoothest shave amongst all my other razors.

Sent from my CPH1969 using Tapatalk

The lack of "grippiness" is not an issue. It only reminds us that nothing in life is 100% perfect. Nothing. I've never dropped my Progress, or even come close to it. Just be focused, which actually is not bad advice while shaving with a sharp blade near one's jugular vein. Yes?

Agreed

I have the Progress long short and Mergress, all three give great shaves, not my absolute most favored razors, but in the top 5. They work well for me from setting 2 to 6. I have one from the ’new mold’ and the fit and alignment are very good, the ‘old mold’ ones sometimes need a little adjusting to get the blade aligned.

I've posted in numerous threads here how I switched from a Merkur Progress daily shaver to a Gillette Heritage over a year ago, and used the Heritage daily since.

After reading some of the praise for the Progress in various threads here, I decided to get out the Progress and try it again.

I had a wow moment 10 seconds into my shave. The Progress is just plain smooth, with adjustable aggressiveness as-well.

Needless to say I cleaned up the Gillette Heritage and put it away. I'm back to the Progress as my daily shaver. What a great shaver!

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a one shaver person, no rotation. Used my Progress for two years after using a Merkur 34c for one year, my first DE shaver.

For those who are curious, my blade of choice is and has been, Astra SP. I use the Progress set to 2. Its a new mold Progress with the small alignment arrow and zeros on the + sign.

As someone else posted, I also think its how the Progress blade is curved in the head that makes it so smooth. The Progress shaves under my nose perfectly, where the Heritage didn't.

You are right about the blade bend. It's what makes the Progress one of my all time favorite razors!

Razors that have extreme blade bend, minimal blade reveal or blade clamping near the cutting edge are my favorite designs as they can be highly efficient without feeling harsh.

You are right about the blade bend. It's what makes the Progress one of my all time favorite razors!

Razors that have extreme blade bend, minimal blade reveal or blade clamping near the cutting edge are my favorite designs as they can be highly efficient without feeling harsh.

What other Razors than Progress have these characteristics?

What other Razors than Progress have these characteristics?

From the razors in my den:

Blade bend: Progress, Rockwell 6S/C, Yates Precision

Clamping near cutting edge: Karve, Tatara (nodachi)

Minimal blade reveal: ATT Windsor (USA made version)

All these razors made the cut and will remain in my den as they all provide the efficiency I need with the comfort being provided by one of the above three characteristics that minimises blade chatter.

The Merkur Progress and its cousin the Mergress are absolutely outstanding razors. If you want to try the world of adjustable razors, I say skip the fatboy and go to straight to the Progress. Yes, it doesn't "zero" perfectly with every blade. Oh well, you can work around it. Great razor!

Using the Merkur this morning with a Personna Lab Blue blade: great shave, with even a reduction of the stubborn bristles under my chin to near-BBS without irritation. I started with setting 3, stopped it down to 2 for my second pass, and then 1.5 for the last pass.

Top Bottom