What's new

Back to the Future - Remington AC/DC Electric Razor

I was watching an old quiz show on the Buzzr network that was sponsored by Remington. The commercials were for a Remington electric razor that could be plugged into an AC outlet or a car's cigarette lighter. The cars shown were a 1955 Ford convertible and a 1955 Ford station wagon. It was mentioned that you could get $8.50 if you traded in an old electric razor. That's $76.12 today.

I was impressed by Victor Kiam's advertisements ... "I liked it so much I bought the company."
He offered a money-back guarantee if you didn't like the Remington razor, too ... and I got my money back.

This was long before I got into wet-shaving ... but even so, I was getting much closer, more comfortable shaves with my Sensor or Atra cartridges, so that's what I went back to.

There's nothing wrong with electric shavers. They do have their place in our world. For several years, I've been looking for a good battery-operated electric razor I can carry in my car for quick touch-ups. Haven't gotten one yet, but it will probably be a Braun M-60. Around $14 last time I looked, and powered by 2xAA alkaline batteries. Cheap enough that if I only use it a couple times over 3 years and then throw it away, I will have gotten my money's worth out of it.

Braun seems to be the leader among electric razors ... some of their high-end models have amazing capabilities, and amazing price-tags to match.

I was watching an old quiz show on the Buzzr network that was sponsored by Remington. The commercials were for a Remington electric razor that could be plugged into an AC outlet or a car's cigarette lighter. The cars shown were a 1955 Ford convertible and a 1955 Ford station wagon. It was mentioned that you could get $8.50 if you traded in an old electric razor. That's $76.12 today.

$76.12 is about what I paid for the Norelco wet/dry electric razor I bought back in December.

Top Bottom