What's new

Electric razors: 1950s GM cars

In the 50's an accessory on GM cars was an electric razor which could work on house current or be plugged into the cigarette lighter.

I knew these existed, but did not realize GM offered the option.

Gee, talk about distracted driving!

On a commute, I used to frequently see the same guy using an electric Braun when waiting at a long traffic light. And a women who would apply eye makeup WHILE DRIVING and looking in a mirror attached to the visor.

Great post!! :a14::a14:

I remember my dad shaving with an electric plugged into the cigarette lighter of his GM car!

Shaving behind the wheel would have been a doddle for a wagon driver who appeared before the magistrates in our local court a few years ago. Driving along a fairly busy motorway, he had been seen eating sardines in oil from a can balanced on one knee, which he transferred to his mouth using a spoon. To wash his fish breakfast down he had been taking occasional swigs from a can of beer he was holding in his "free" hand, with which he was also manipulating the steering wheel. He told the Bench he had been in perfect control of the vehicle, but for some reason they didn't believe him.

I seem to remember seeing this in movies. Weren't there battery powered electrics too for roughly the same purpose?

I seem to remember seeing this in movies. Weren't there battery powered electrics too for roughly the same purpose?

It was "modern."

Aftermarket is one thing.

It was the idea that GM offered a razor as an option that startled me. Goodness, liability issues! Where were the lawyers?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
It was "modern."

It was the idea that GM offered a razor as an option that startled me. Goodness, liability issues! Where were the lawyers?
They were so uncivilized back then! They obviously had a shortage of those folks ya only like when ya need one.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I remember seeing commercials and print ads for Remington and Schick shavers that could be plugged into a car's lighter socket, but never anything being offered as a GM option. Makes sense, though. I don't recall if the shavers were dedicated 12 volt units, or required adapters.

As for the lawyers, remember, these were gentler times. Safety legislation and litigation were some years away.

It was "modern."

I remember my "car seat" when I was little. That thing was a death trap, designed only to keep me from roaming around the car. I think liability was not even considered.

FarmerTan

I remember my "car seat" when I was little. That thing was a death trap, designed only to keep me from roaming around the car. I think liability was not even considered.
My car seat was the flip down arm rest in the back of my mom's old Chevy. Good times.

Car seats? What are these mysterious things of which you speak? Back seat of Dad's Rambler American didn't even come with seat belts. Dad was frugal and thought they were an unnecessary option.

FarmerTan

Car seats? What are these mysterious things of which you speak? Back seat of Dad's Rambler American didn't even come with seat belts. Dad was frugal and thought they were an unnecessary option.
He was right! You are still alive.

I found a photo of about the same type of car seat I had as a wee one. The big change is by the time it got to me, the steering wheel was cracked. I also found out they didn't even start rear-facing car seats until after I was born.
car-seats.jpg

Car seat? They didn't fit in the bed of a Datsun pickup. That's what the wheel hump was for. We did move from the hump to the bed once on the highway for safety. :)

I think that new fangled wireless sound reproducing device(radio) more distracting than a razor would be, but don't see lawsuits over them.

I even had a reclining car seat... lay down in the window ledge behind the rear seats. Woke up whenever the brakes were slammed on 'cause I would fall into the back seat! Makes me wonder if any of us survived.
:a29:

Top Bottom