What's new

Back to cart

To cut a long story short I had about 15min to get showered, shaved, dressed and out the door. I decided to use a fusion cart which has one shave on it and hadn't been used in several months since I got into DE. What a bad idea. I ended up with a irritated neck and some ingrown hairs. Better I didn't shave at all.
It just proved to me how great DE shaving is and what a better quality shave you get. Also thanks to all ye guys for the help and advice along the way.

When I saw the topic title I thought it was a mad DE user who went back to carts because he doesn't like his DE razor anymore :lol:

Your story is the proof of how some old piece of technology outperforms "newer" technology. Thats what I always tell a wet shaving friend one blade beats five! Since the first shave I immediately gave my left over Fusion carts to my brother, never looked back at them at all.

If you rush your way through a crap shave, it's probably not the razor's fault. Try the exact same shave with a DE and see what happens.

Last edited:
I have been using up a stash of Gillette disposables that I found. I have been getting great shaves and I attribute that to technique developed in my DE shaving.

Welcome to B&B sir Smurf!
glad you're getting good results with your DE!
from time to time, I'll use a cartridge, especially on short trips, and have had no irritation.
good prep, take it slow plus absolutely no pressure are keys for me.
Enjoy your journey!

$image.jpeg

My shortcut is shaving cream (whips up quicker for me than a soap), a boar brush (Semogue SOC) and a Gillette New LC. WTG, ATG and a touch up. Not a BBS, but better than my electric or a cartridge. New LC is more forgiving than my ATT H2, Joris or Braveheart. To Sorimento, I'm a big Opus 1870 fan. Wish they would restore the Opus balm and soap offerings.

I have two stories on that:
1. A loong time ago, on my cart and can shaving times, I was on a rush going to some kind of social event so had to shave real quick. On the car my girlfriend says: wow you got a way better shave than you normally get when you shave taking your time ... Ha!
2. On a recent short travel I took a Mach 3, a synthetic brush and wilkinson stick (what a soap!) with me. After years of no cart shaving I got no nicks nor irritation but the shaves were not nearly as close, even after 3 passes.
Talk about unexpected results ...

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Every great once in awhile, I am running late somewhere, and don't have enough time to enjoy a leisurely, quality shave.

When this happens... I call ahead and say I'm going to be late and get a proper shave anyway! ;)

True my pre-shave was not up to standard but since I took up DE shaving the irritation on my neck went away and one shave with my cart and its all back. I have to say Otherwise I didn't get a bad shave but also my skin feels nicer after a DE shave.

Some, like me, have skin and facial hair that will never work with multi blade carts, no matter what prep, or shave soap is used.
I've tossed my carts a long time ago.
Also, I've rushed shaves, with a DE, and have had no adverse results. But, that's me. Everyone's face is different.

I love my DE razors and really enjoy my DE shaves. However, when I am in a hurry I have found I get better results with an electric than with a cartridge. I wouldn't trade my DE razors for an electric, but perhaps something to consider if you often find yourself in a hurry.

To cut a long story short I had about 15min to get showered, shaved, dressed and out the door. I decided to use a fusion cart which has one shave on it and hadn't been used in several months since I got into DE. What a bad idea. I ended up with a irritated neck and some ingrown hairs. Better I didn't shave at all.
It just proved to me how great DE shaving is and what a better quality shave you get. Also thanks to all ye guys for the help and advice along the way.

Rush through any shave like that and I think you'll get the same result, regardless of the razor.

Rush through any shave like that and I think you'll get the same result, regardless of the razor.
See I don't consider that rushing. I have 15min every morning to shower, shave and be dressed and I make it work. It's not as nice as a relaxed weekend shave but if it's still very possible to get a good de shave in worth that time restriction.

Top Bottom