What's new

Automatic drip that brews at 200 degrees?

Hey guys, just looking for some recommendations for a automatic drip that brews at the right temperature.

From what i've read and heard, the problem with most automatic drips is that they brew at roughly 180 degrees, which isn't quite hot enough for a proper extraction.

The ancient thrift store coffee machine me and the family use works well, but does in fact only brew at 180 degrees or so (tested it with a digital thermometer)

I've recently got into freshly roasted coffee beans, and I'm thinkin about doing some home roasting in the near future.

I've been working on my pourover skills, but it would be nice to be able to properly brew my freshly roasted and ground coffee beans in an automatic drip to save some time / easily brew a whole pot opposed to spending the time to just make one cup at a time ( I am looking into chemex pourovers for that purpose though)

So my question is: Is there a auto-drip that you would trust with your freshly roasted beans? That is to say, one that brews in right about 3 minutes, and heats the water to 200-205 degrees.

Thanks for the help guys!

It isn't cheap, but the Technivorm Moccamaster is your only real option. You will wince, but buy it in a color your kids will like because you will be passing it down to them.

www.technivorm.com

The Bunn Phase Brew and Bonavita are both approved by the Specialty Coffee Association of America.

I also own both, and I think they both produce very nice cups of coffee. They do not compare to a properly made manual brew (hario, CLever, etc.) mostly due to size. But, they are both very nice for autodrip machines.

There are a few out there.

How much money do you want to spend?

My commercial Bunn CWTF-15 has an adjustable temp internally (goes up to 205 I believe but could be wrong as it has been a while since I have been inside of it). The other Bunn machines (home ones) are advertised to brew at 200º

Bonavita is a well thought of brewer as well as the Technivorm (which has already been recommended)

here are links to both those manufactures if you want to investigate more:

http://www.bunn.com/ (select home or commercial brewers)

http://www.technivorm.com/products/brewers_for_home-use/

http://www.bonavitaworld.com/products/cm-main.asp

My home drip machine. It does just fine :001_smile

proxy.php

I was just wondering my options and am in no current rush to buy. But, I can be a bit more on the frugal side, so the Bunn HG or bonavista seems to be more in my price range of <200$ opposed to the 300$ of the Technivorm, even though that is a beautiful piece of machinery.

Also, I frenquent thrift stores, and when the weather is warmer, flea markets. I've come across some really interesting stuff at the flea market (not so much at the thrift stores these days). So maybe I'll find a smaller commercial Bunn similiar to yours Mick. Either that or a cheaply priced home brewing machine thats on the list of recommendations that someone doesn't like because "it takes too long to brew" or something like that.

Thanks a bunch for the SCAA link Nathan, bookmarking that one for sure.

Finally, I know that an automatic drip takes all the nuance out of the cup that is gained by manual brewing. I just wanted to know where are all the auto drips that actually reach an appropriate temp!

Edit: As a side note my sister and her boyfriend (who I live with) would never be bothered to do pourover, and investing in a good machine would improve their coffee too!

Last edited:
maybe I'll find a smaller commercial Bunn similiar to yours Mick.

That's the smallest commercial brewer they make. They only get bigger from that one.

I used to have a 2 liter air pot brewer but it was way too big to go under the kitchen cabinets so it sat at the end of the island and looked like a light house. I liked it but SWMBO said it had to go so ba-by it went.... she was right. It was too big AND I drank way too much coffee with an endless supply of hot joe at my finger tips...

proxy.php

Melitta used to make a 4-cup coffee maker for Gevalia that reportedly heated water to 190-plus ... not quite 200 degrees, but it made a fine cup of coffee. I went through two of them. Still see them occasionally on eBay. Notably better than most automatic coffee makers, though not absolutely top tier. But you can get one for around $30-40 bucks.

I guess it's not on the market yet, but heard that the ubiquitous Mr. Coffee, was planning to release a higher end machine that has all the nice gee- gaws on it, as well as a brewing temp in the 200 deg. F range.

I don't know if this is an option for you, but where I am there's a chain called Bargain Hunt that takes returned/refurbished merchandise and sells it with a bigger discount the longer something is there. I got the Bonavita mentioned above new in the box for around $50.

I now have a whole slew of things to look for secondhand while I attempt to save up to buy one of these awesome machines.

Now if only I could stop buying razors and pipe tobacco I'd have the money in no time...

Top Bottom