What's new

Auditory feedback

In my experience, regarding auditory feedback, I find that the TTOs have more than the 3-pieace razors. I am not sure, but I am guessing that that have to do with blade support and that the TTOs does not clamp the blade as well and shatters more. Has anyone else noticed this? I cannot speak for any SE razors, since I have never used one.

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
Recently started using the plastic, glow-in-the-dark handle from my PAA el Fantasma razor on two stainless steel razor heads (Above The Tie G1 and RazoRock Hawk V3OC) and it makes for a nimbler and louder shave. When the razor edge cuts or brushes against whiskers, it sounds like a bendable straw being stretched. It’s a hoot.

With my GEM Micromatic Open Comb (TTO) and Ever-Ready 1924 (flip top) SEs, the modern GEM blades have enough wiggle room to vibrate very loudly unless shimmed. My Ever-Ready 1912 (flip top) is a bit more quiet.

In my experience, regarding auditory feedback, I find that the TTOs have more than the 3-pieace razors. I am not sure, but I am guessing that that have to do with blade support and that the TTOs does not clamp the blade as well and shatters more. Has anyone else noticed this? I cannot speak for any SE razors, since I have never used one.

Absolutely no question. My TTOs and other razors that clamp less securely sing a much louder song due to all the blade chatter.

Incidentally, one other thing I haven't mentioned thus far is that I'm a cold water shaver. For me, this makes the shave even louder as the whiskers are much stiffer themselves. Drastically different in sound and sensation from shaving hot.

I would say the Ever-ready 1914 is a one of the best for razor audio feedback, it just the way they designed it that gives great audio feedback. It uses the Gem blade but they slightly curved the top cap + lots of blade reveal seems to amplify the feedback. It is a mid range to upper mid range depending on experience. I receive some of the best shaves with the 1914 ASR razor, note there are 2 types of blade stops, one is shallow type and other is hooked & secures the blade better.
(L) older style of blade stop for the ER 1914...................................(R)Newer and better hook blade stops for the ER 1914
View attachment 1643259 View attachment 1643260
Have some great shaves!
Wow

Wait a minute.

It makes sense that the blade reveal would increase audio feedback.

Are you saying the size of the blade stop affects audio feedback levels also?

I never gave that a thought. I am going to have to look at my blade stops.

Have a good morning.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Are you saying the size of the blade stop affects audio feedback levels also?

I never gave that a thought. I am going to have to look at my blade stops.
I don't think blade stop size makes a difference for audio feedback, I was just making aware that there are 2 different generations of blade stops for the Ever-Ready 1914 model. The hooked 2nd generation is the preferred blade stop for a lot of folks. Great razor regarding the audio feedback and performance is stellar.

I think it's the Schick Xtreme 4-blade, that's annoyingly loud to me when shaving >1 day's growth.

I'm about at the point now where a magnified shaving mirror is in order. Maybe I should start tuning in to the sounds of shaving as my backup for the day that even that stops working for me.

I don't think blade stop size makes a difference for audio feedback, I was just making aware that there are 2 different generations of blade stops for the Ever-Ready 1914 model. The hooked 2nd generation is the preferred blade stop for a lot of folks. Great razor regarding the audio feedback and performance is stellar.
Ron

Gotcha.

That makes sense.

Top Bottom