What's new

Atty builds

So I am just starting to play with building my own, and there's some odd sort of addiction to playing around with builds, trying out different ones, comparing how the perform. I guess it's similar to the gents that get into that same mindset about honing straights. lol Anyone else out there addicted to building their setups?

I wouldn't go as far as saying addicted but I do love to tinker and see no reason to have "the guy at the vape shop" do something for me that I am more than capable of doing myself. I don't change up my builds that much though as I know what I like and exactly how to build them.

I may settle into a specific build once I learn more about what I like in a build. Right now I just see different ones posted in various places and want to try them all out. lol

I only do my own builds. Have been for the last 2 1/2 years. I do all my builds the same way now. 2.1mm, 9 wraps 26 Kanthal for .45 - 5 ohms. This seems to give me the best flavor and vapor.

I pull the cotton out of my coils weekly, and clean the coils with a small brush and hot water. Of course, this is after frying anything on the coils. Except for my Gennies. I still use silica in them. Silica lasts a week in my gennies, whereas I was only getting 3 days out of my cotton.

I have never bought a sub-ohm tank with pre-made coils. Maybe it is just the cheap sucker in me. Why would I want to pay 4-5 dollars for a coil, when it costs my 7 cents to change out cotton or $15 cents to change out coil and cotton.

I just picked up a UD Goblin Mini. Liked it so much, I bought 2 more. They may replace some of my gennys or modified Orchids, depending upon how the juice tastes, in the Goblin vs the others. The taste is all that matters.

Greg W.

Last edited:
Yeah, it has helped to wean me off compulsive honing. Was also much of the reason I now own 3 Derringer clones, so I can compare builds side by side with similar setups on the cheap. I'm still in the excited newbie phase.

Been dripping for 6months now so I only build when necessary. Although when I do build, I play around a bit to find a vape I like. Always changes depending on the RDA I am using

Been dripping for 6months now so I only build when necessary.
The drippers are pretty handy for ocd messing around with wicking & coils. Getting the hang of coiling and wicking with tanks has led to some painful decisions, do I keep on vaping the slightly burnt wick and crappy coil or do I sacrifice a few mils of juice......

I've had fun experimenting with some of the creative builds. A fused Clapton is about as advanced as I get though.

For the most part, I find myself going back to my standard build. Six to seven wraps of 24 gauge around a 3mm screwdriver, dual coils, usually coming in at about 0.2 to 0.3 ohms. It works well for me.

If I'm offered a free exotic build at a vape shop, I'll usually accept and enjoy it. I can't guarantee I'll rebuild it the same way though. It depends on how much time I have.

So currently on the Derringer I have a single coil, 6 winds, comes out to about 1.2 ohms. The coil is 2 pieces of 30 gauge wire wound together then coiled around a 5/32 drill bit. Seems to vape good for my purposes.

Top Bottom