What's new

ATG at last, and an amazing shave...

Hello all!

I used my Feather AC SS to shave my scalp and beard lines for the 9th time last night, since obtaining it 11 days ago. Over the last few nights as I've relaxed into the process a bit more, I have developed a routine which I enjoy. I shave in the evenings: it relaxes me perfectly for sleep, plus giving me time to address any nicks or razor burn long before I go to work the next morning. So post-workout I put on some relaxing music, take a warm shower then shave.

Up to now with my shavette I have gone WTG all over my scalp. Done a little XTG where possible. This has been satisfactory, however does not provide the feedback I usually get from feel as to areas I have missed. Particularly important round the back of the head, as I've never used a double-mirror system and go purely by feel.

Last night I took the plunge and went ATG over my entire scalp for the first time. I'm not sure this would have been possible without using a much, much wetter lather than I have done before, and its ease made me feel confident enough to try it. Kudos to @Seveneighth for the tip.

I've also been face (head) lathering recently. Here I discovered that thoroughly working the cream into the brush before lathering makes a big difference in how good the lather is, and how far it goes. Wasted a bit before I realised this.

I found there is a certain speed and pressure required to go ATG on the first pass. I know it's possible to do so for me, as my head hair is quite fine in most places and that was my routine with my Mach 3 and fusion razors. Due I suppose to the practice I've had with those, ATG in fact feels more natural with the Feather.

With the scales fully extended I was able to do the back of my scalp with ease, using my free hand to discover areas that needed touching up. I went a little slower than I have before, and used a bit more pressure - albeit still a light touch. Despite this, I had practically zero burn afterward.

Although I could easily get to BBS with my old razors the downsides to using them were numerous, including the need to scrub my scalp and beard aggressively after shaving to prevent ingrown hairs. Today with no scrubbing and more than 14 hours after shaving, my scalp is still BBS and there are no signs of any irritation, lumps or bumps.

The Feather is a wonderful tool and I'm enjoying the journey into traditional shaving hugely.

Luke

A full head shave with a Feather AC SS? Kudos to you I think you mean!!

The Feather AC SS is an amazing tool and stands in a category of its own IMO. The design cleverly takes advantage of the best of straight, safety and cartridge shaving technology (e.g. the lip).

I hope this shave is the first of many excellent ones to come.

@Seveneighth thanks very much!

I'm enjoying the Feather so much. It is highly ergonomic like many Japanese consumer goods - functional, designed for use not looks, and the artistic flair they use is typically a bit wacky. I'm no expert on SRs at all, but in use one can quickly tell it's a great razor for sure.

Luke

@FlScott Thank you sir!

Went again last night with the same methodology. An almost-excellent shave: had a small weeper on my throat where I just didn't pay attention. I didn't time the shave, but it took the best part of an hour. I guess the thing is to continue enjoying the process and efficiency will come in time.

I wish I could get my wife to let me headshave. She insists that I keep what little hair I have left.

That's a pity! It was a readjustment for me, but I am happier being completely bald up top.

11th shave last night.

Had to use styptic for the first time - a small mole on the side of my head that gave me problems when I first began head shaving.

Other than that, a good effort, bit of sting on the alum but still no traces of lumps and bumps, no red patches... I'm glad I took the leap.

I wish I could get my wife to let me headshave. She insists that I keep what little hair I have left.

That's a pity! It was a readjustment for me, but I am happier being completely bald up top.

11th shave last night.

Had to use styptic for the first time - a small mole on the side of my head that gave me problems when I first began head shaving.

Other than that, a good effort, bit of sting on the alum but still no traces of lumps and bumps, no red patches... I'm glad I took the leap.

I'm blissfully ignorant of my growing bald spot on the crown of my head while I look in the mirror. I have bought a few hats in recent years, but haven't actually wore them with any frequency.
WIN_20190228_02_17_36_Pro.jpg

11th shave last night.

I keep my hair super short # 1.5 but I'm not permitted to shave it off yet. Soon...soon.

Quite an accomplishment!

I've shaved the melon a few times with a straight. It's actually easier than my face, but it is awful slow going. I don't think I would have the courage to do a shavette like you did though. I cut myself with the toe and heel of a straight pretty regularly, and they're not nearly as mean as the corners on a shavette...

Quite an accomplishment!

I've shaved the melon a few times with a straight. It's actually easier than my face, but it is awful slow going. I don't think I would have the courage to do a shavette like you did though. I cut myself with the toe and heel of a straight pretty regularly, and they're not nearly as mean as the corners on a shavette...

I didn't know that. The corners on the Proguard blades are rounded, and I've had no issues. When I began, my partner pointed out that I was using the tip (or more accurately the toe) of the razor a lot, letting much of the blade lift away from my skin. Perhaps I just got lucky but I wasn't cut. Perhaps this is just due to the Artist Club blade design? Thinking about it I can imagine half-DE blades would be lethal.

PS Thank you! :a29:

Flat cap suits you better IMO. Forgive my impertinence :001_cool:

Impertinence would have been that the hat looks stupid on me :)

It was given to me. I've bought 3 of the flat caps(didn't know what to call them) of different colors, after having been given an initial denim one.

Shave number 11 Saturday morning. Third time I've gone ATG with the Feather. Second shave with a new Proguard blade.

For the last 7 shaves or so while away with work I've been using Body Shop maca root cream; I left the tub there as it's certainly 'good enough'. I returned home Friday after a long and busy journey, so Saturday morning I was looking forward to shaving with my Castle Forbes sandalwood cream. I used the same pre-shave routine and methodology; I had a good rich but wet lather. Despite this I got instant irritation going ATG, and a large number of tiny nicks as well. The razor did not seem to glide at all well. With the discomfort I wasn't able to get a truly close shave, and the alum really made itself felt!

So far, the CF cream seems to work great WTG, but a disaster in the opposite direction. I've had this before with the CF while making attempts at ATG shaving, it's not a one-off, but I'd put it down to my technique with the razor. As per thread title that wouldn't seem to be the case now. Also I respect the Castle Forbes brand and know their creams work brilliantly for many, many people. So I wonder if I'm doing something wrong with it?

Currently I lather on my scalp and face. I warm my Vulfix super badger brush for a minute or so in hot water, give it a good shake, and load in about 2 pea-sized lumps of cream to the splayed centre. Using my fingertips I work the dry cream into the brush, then dip the tip of the brush into some fresh hot water to begin lathering. I work it on my scalp for about a minute, it seems to hit the right consistency pretty quickly. I'll have added more water once or twice more during this time. Does this sound about right?

I found it interesting that the worst irritation happened as soon as I put blade to skin. I hadn't let the lather dry out.

Saturday evening having picked up some more Body Shop cream and with the irritation much reduced, I shaved again with the same method as above. Comfortable and close.

Top Bottom