What's new

Asylum RX, original vs V2

I have never shaved with or even handled an RX version 2. Can anyone who has tried both comment on the differences between the V2 and the original? I am interested in your thoughts on both shave quality and any physical design or build quality differences. Thanks.

Do they look different? I have an original, have only looked at pictures of V2. I don't recall seeing much difference.

The fastening method is the same, but only the exterior finish seems to be different. The product description says that v2 is less aggressive than v1, but reviews from people who have used both v1 and v2 say that there is no significant difference. There are reviews saying that the injector version is less aggressive.

I will differ, a bit. V1 is very aggressive, LOTS of blade feel, and if you use Feathers (my preferred) you do have to take your time until you get about 3 shaves in and the blade is toned down a bit. I've never corked, but could see it as an option with this razor/blade combo. If you use Kai Milds you're basically getting the V2 feel. The V1s are machine finish/blasted matte.

V2s are high polish and draw the blade back slightly (I'm not sure of the specs, but we're talking ten-thousandths/hundred-thousandths). As efficient, but slightly less exfoliating. The difference is incremental, and both are excellent. If I really take my time, I can get ~14 hours of BBS going into DFS for the last 2 with a V1/Feather Professional combo. Average is more 10-12 hours with the V2, but that may be my less intentional handling.

The Injector is very much the V2 RX with a smaller blade in high polish. It is highly comparable to the early Schick Repeaters and perhaps a tad sharper, as it can be challenging to load and cycle a Repeater with absolutely NO contact.

V1 and V2 are absolutely straights on a stick. V2 is capable of being a daily-driver, V1 (for me) only after shave #3 on a Feather or a milder blade. The Injector is just all-round efficient and fun.

I have both and agree with Rob72. Mostly use Feathers and V1 is more aggressive, V2 is some smoother but still an aggressive razor.

Top Bottom