What's new

Astra SP vs SS.

Let us know how it compares. The ones in Singapore are definitely fake. Even the Gillette nacet looks fake.

If you're worried about fakes in Singapore, you could always go to eBay. You could get 100 Astra SP or SS for around S$17 shipped from Australia.

Shipping should be pretty fast too.

Just did a blind comparison with the SS vs the SP. I really like both blades and the Astra SP green pack was the first blade I really liked when I started wet shaving a few years ago. The winner in the blind comparison though was the Astra Super Stainless in the blue package. Sharper and just as smooth. The SP green though, will always have a place in by blade drawer. Its hands down a great blade too.

Both Astras are nice blades. They work best in different razors though. From what I have read here on the forums half of the members prefer the SS and the other half the SP. It might sound strange to you but I consider both Astras to be razor specific blades. The SS probably a bit more than the SP.

I have a tough beard. Astra SP blades are barely sharp enough to shave my beard. They always tug, especially on the first shave. The second shave is a little better. On the other hand, I find Astra SS blades to be both sharp and smooth. They are not the sharpest blades available, but they are sharp enough to give me a nice shave.

I suspect the division between Astra SP lovers and Astra SS lovers has to do with how tough their beard is. Older shavers whose beards have turned grey or white like mine are more likely to prefer the Astra SS.

I have a tough beard. Astra SP blades are barely sharp enough to shave my beard. They always tug, especially on the first shave. The second shave is a little better. On the other hand, I find Astra SS blades to be both sharp and smooth. They are not the sharpest blades available, but they are sharp enough to give me a nice shave.

I suspect the division between Astra SP lovers and Astra SS lovers has to do with how tough their beard is. Older shavers whose beards have turned grey or white like mine are more likely to prefer the Astra SS.
I guess you don't put in another important factor. The razors these blades are used in. I too have extremely tough beard. With both SP and SS I can't get a BBS in a Tech or Super Speed. I only use them in aggressive razors. The SP gives me nice shaves in a Slim, but @9.

I would consider my beard to be about average but it’s starting to show some grey in it. Astra SS blades work well for me. Astra SP blades I can’t make an informed decision on yet since I’ve only had one shave with them but the initial impression is that I like the SS better than the SP blades

I would consider my beard to be about average but it’s starting to show some grey in it. Astra SS blades work well for me. Astra SP blades I can’t make an informed decision on yet since I’ve only had one shave with them but the initial impression is that I like the SS better than the SP blades

Sounds about right.

I've used the SP's for many years now, and have read of those preferring the SS's. Giot a tuck of SS & will be trying them in comparisin in the next few months.

Astra SP user. Post War Fat Handle Tech, same razor I try every blade in and use trying new soaps with using an Astra SP.

On the 3rd Astra SS blade out of a build your own sample pack from Maggards. Nowhere as smooth as an SP. Not even close. Changing soaps didn't matter either. Not done with the samples but Gillette Platinum and Silver Blue are fine blades. Just not a fan of the Astra SS. I don't have a razor the Astra SP won't work well in. As always YMMV! Or in this case MMMV!

Same results here - I've always liked the SP's, and just recently got a pack of the SS - they shave just as close, but seem to be smoother.

My experience has been the exact opposite. I have a coarse beard. The Astra SS blades work well for me. I have tried Astra SP blades on several occasions from several different sources and have yet to get a decent shave from them. Thus, in spite of what many people say, I have given up on the SP blades. .

Astra SP user. Post War Fat Handle Tech, same razor I try every blade in and use trying new soaps with using an Astra SP.

On the 3rd Astra SS blade out of a build your own sample pack from Maggards. Nowhere as smooth as an SP. Not even close. Changing soaps didn't matter either. Not done with the samples but Gillette Platinum and Silver Blue are fine blades. Just not a fan of the Astra SS. I don't have a razor the Astra SP won't work well in. As always YMMV! Or in this case MMMV!

+1! The SPs are a real ‘workhorse’ blade for me also in just about any razor!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

+1! The SPs are a real ‘workhorse’ blade for me also in just about any razor!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I have never heard anyone claim that the SS blade is as smooth as an SP. That is not the issue. The issue is that the SP blades are not sharp enough for folks with tough beards. For those who do not need one of the sharper blades, SP are great. They are not sharp enough for my beard.

I have a tough beard. Astra SP blades are barely sharp enough to shave my beard. They always tug, especially on the first shave. The second shave is a little better. On the other hand, I find Astra SS blades to be both sharp and smooth. They are not the sharpest blades available, but they are sharp enough to give me a nice shave...
Can a blade tug and be smooth at the same time? If it tugs how can you tell if it's smooth?

I have never heard anyone claim that the SS blade is as smooth as an SP. That is not the issue. The issue is that the SP blades are not sharp enough for folks with tough beards. For those who do not need one of the sharper blades, SP are great. They are not sharp enough for my beard.
Fair enough. Hearing isn't the same as reading is it? Read post; 10, 23, 24, 27 (your post above), 28, 34...

Top Bottom