What's new

Astra SP vs SS.

What's the difference?

I've only used SP and never tried SS before. Can't get the SS locally and the ones I've seen are fakes from Thailand.

The coatings on the edges. Typically a quality razor blade is made of stainless steel, then a very thin noble metal alloy is applied to the edges to provide a good base for the Teflon that is baked on top. To see how its done, watch the episode of How It's Made that went into the German factory where Cromas are (or were) made. The Teflon keeps the edge from dragging on your skin and hair. A blade that calls itself a platinum will have a platinum alloy, Polsilvers have an iridium alloy. The stainless might have something else or perhaps the Teflon was applied direct to the stainless edge. It would be proprietary manufacturer information.

The coatings on the edges. Typically a quality razor blade is made of stainless steel, then a very thin noble metal alloy is applied to the edges to provide a good base for the Teflon that is baked on top. To see how its done, watch the episode of How It's Made that went into the German factory where Cromas are (or were) made. The Teflon keeps the edge from dragging on your skin and hair. A blade that calls itself a platinum will have a platinum alloy, Polsilvers have an iridium alloy. The stainless might have something else or perhaps the Teflon was applied direct to the stainless edge. It would be proprietary manufacturer information.

Great explanation! For me the SP work better but YMMV.

I’m not a fan of either even though I can manage a good shave with both. SP feel rough but they do last awhile. SS have managed to give me more nicks than all other blades combined, I’m not sure why that is. If it came down to them being the only two blades left on the planet, I’d choose rough shaves over bloodletting any day. Or just get used to looking like a lumberjack.

People have actually tried it.
I’ve bought them from barber supplies shops here and there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with them. On a par with the SP blades I’ve bought from UK vendors. I’d be interested to see pictures of the blades you’ve been told are fake; maybe we could compare them to the packs I have and see if they are the same? I haven’t bought any for a couple of years but they were about 45 cents a tuck (฿15) from memory.

I’ve bought them from barber supplies shops here and there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with them. On a par with the SP blades I’ve bought from UK vendors. I’d be interested to see pictures of the blades you’ve been told are fake; maybe we could compare them to the packs I have and see if they are the same? I haven’t bought any for a couple of years but they were about 45 cents a tuck (฿15) from memory.
They come in dirty looking yellow plastic boxes.

They come in dirty looking yellow plastic boxes.
I was just thinking, I'm in Thailand and you're in Singapore: I could easily send you a tuck of the Astra SS blades available locally so you can see for yourself what they are like. I'm no blade expert but I have used them on a number of occasions and they seemed fine to me. Also, if there's anyone reading this thread who uses Astra SS on a regular basis, I'd be happy to send you a tuck. I'd appreciate an expert opinion and even though I'm on the other side of the world to the States, postage costs here are very reasonable so it wouldn't be a big deal. For reference, 100 blades cost US$9 (SGD 12.35) for a 100 pack here. That's without any kind of discount so they might be available cheaper if I looked harder.

Out of curiosity, I included a pack in my last online order so I can compare the locally available ones to those from overseas when they get here but like I say, I'm no expert.

I was just thinking, I'm in Thailand and you're in Singapore: I could easily send you a tuck of the Astra SS blades available locally so you can see for yourself what they are like. I'm no blade expert but I have used them on a number of occasions and they seemed fine to me. Also, if there's anyone reading this thread who uses Astra SS on a regular basis, I'd be happy to send you a tuck. I'd appreciate an expert opinion and even though I'm on the other side of the world to the States, postage costs here are very reasonable so it wouldn't be a big deal. For reference, 100 blades cost US$9 (SGD 12.35) for a 100 pack here. That's without any kind of discount so they might be available cheaper if I looked harder.

Out of curiosity, I included a pack in my last online order so I can compare the locally available ones to those from overseas when they get here but like I say, I'm no expert.
www.hardwarezone.com.sg - View Single Post - [OFFICIAL] EDMW Wet Shaving Club - Part 6

Let us know how it compares. The ones in Singapore are definitely fake. Even the Gillette nacet looks fake.

If anyone here ever comes to Singapore don't ever buy any blades from anywhere else other than little India.

And how much does it cost to ship a tuck of Astra SS from Thailand to Singapore?

www.hardwarezone.com.sg - View Single Post - [OFFICIAL] EDMW Wet Shaving Club - Part 6

Let us know how it compares. The ones in Singapore are definitely fake. Even the Gillette nacet looks fake.

If anyone here ever comes to Singapore don't ever buy any blades from anywhere else other than little India.

And how much does it cost to ship a tuck of Astra SS from Thailand to Singapore?
I'm not sure to be honest; I'll find out. I bought my blades from a barber supply shop that also stocked Feather (those were the only two makes they had). 50 baht for a tuck of Feather and 15 baht for Astra SS. I was hoping they would have Astra SP as well but they didn't.

I'm not sure to be honest; I'll find out. I bought my blades from a barber supply shop that also stocked Feather (those were the only two makes they had). 50 baht for a tuck of Feather and 15 baht for Astra SS. I was hoping they would have Astra SP as well but they didn't.

omg the feather and Astra blades are so cheap.

Top Bottom