What's new

Astra SP at greatrazors.com

Also in the explannation you can see this on the web site :

I think it has been demonstrated that most blades are usually sharper on the second shave as per these tests : RAZOR BLADE SHARPNESS TESTING where we can see that on the second shave most of the blades are sharper than before the first shave.

All of this makes me even more suspicious.
I don’t buy his statistics, I buy how the blade cuts and feels on my face.

skibik

The website says they are frozen at 300 degrees below zero, not 40 degrees below zero like in MN. However, if your or anyone else does not want to believe me, it wont hurt my feelings.
The way I view what most everyone here has been saying is that the process, (regardless of what temp they are frozen to), needs to be done at the time of manufacture so why is it that this vendor is the only vendor in the world that sells these Astra SP's and why is this the 1st time anyone has ever heard of them with this mfg process? It would also beg to question why hasn't Gillette / P&G have this info of this on their website? My guess is probably because this info is bogus!!

It all just sounds too suspect and likely a scam by the vendor praying on those that don't know of the process of making safety razor blades...

At the top of the home page it says " Our Cryo Tempering process freezes the razors in the package down to -300 F" On the contact us page it says.
Cryopro L.L.C
300 Valley View Rd
Rogersville, MO 65742
(417) 880-3168
Dave is the proprietor if you want to talk to him or ask questions.

This thread piqued my curiosity - and its worth noting there are a couple of threads on this site as well as a few others, one of which involved a discussion with someone who was testing the same process in a fortune 200 company.

The closest scientific explanation I found that gets brought up comes from the phase changes described here:

Perhaps its marketing (this is not my field) but I would not dismiss this right out of hand . There are a fair number of papers on the process for steels on google scholar as well that are fascinating reads.

Last edited:
This thread piqued my curiosity - and its worth noting there are a couple of threads on this site as well as a few others, one of which involved a discussion with someone who was testing the same process in a fortune 200 company.

The closest scientific explanation I found that gets brought up comes from the phase changes described here:

Perhaps its marketing (this is not my field) but I would not dismiss this right out of hand . There are a fair number of papers on the process for steels on google scholar as well that are fascinating reads.
Even if the cryogenic process did affect the performance of razor blades, where is the proof that the blades that the vendor is selling have been through this process? Seems like quite a bit of faith has to be put into the word of an all-but-unknown vendor. There is no way that I would pay a premium price for something like this unless there was sufficient proof of the effectiveness of the process and that the blades being sold have actually been through this process.

Last edited:
Even if the cryogenic process did affect the performance of razor blades, where is the proof that the blades that the vendor is selling have been through this process? Seems like quite a bit of faith has to be put into the word of an all but unknown vendor. There is no way that I would pay a premium price for something like this unless there was sufficient proof of the effectiveness of the process and that the blades being sold have actually been through this process.

So I noticed on another thread that someone mentioned the company's main day job is doing this treatment for steel tools where this is apparently more common and the razor blade idea was a filler to keep the workflow occupied between such work. This forum seems friendly enough and I noticed someone worked out who owned the company. Perhaps this thread could be pointed out to the owner and one could have them explain the rationale / process. That would be a bit more credible than my random googling ;)

Cryogenically freezing already set metal does nothing to the crystalline structure therefore it does not make it harder. You have to heat it first, then cryogenically temper it under controlled circumstances.

This is psychosomatic at best and a scam at worst.

Right. Cryogenic hardening can, under the proper circumstances, work but it depends greatly on how it is done and also what were the characteristics of the original metal, including steel (such as it can be used for high-chromium steels). Having said that the likelihood of razor blades benefitting from it, much less benefitting from it in such a way as to be noticeable to a user, has got to be negligible. If OP think his blades are being used for longer periods of time, my guess would be that it is, indeed, a psychosomatic (so to speak) response but, heck, if it makes him feel good, fine. After all, so much of this hobby is about what we think and fine points of difference that we think we've discerned, even when we're probably only suggested them to ourselves.

Top Bottom