What's new

Assessing A Shave For BBS or Whatever | Immediately Post-Shave? | Later?

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
1575570264280.png

How long after your shaves do you assess the closeness and smoothness of your shaves and/or how long after your shaves do you believe best for post-shave closeness and smoothness assessment?

My number one goal for all my shaves is to achieve a Damn Comfortable Shave meaning the shave meets these standards.
  • Comfortable during and throughout the shave.
  • Comfortable immediately after the shave.
  • Comfortable until the next shave.
I am far less interested in whether the shave is close and smooth - like Dolphin Skin, or BBS, or DFS, or whatever - than I used to be. I also don't have much interest in having every shave be as good as yesterday's shave or even every part of my face and neck be equally smooth and closely shaven.

1575570616977.png

However, I've noticed that if I assess the closeness and smoothness of my shave immediately post shave and then assess it for closeness and smoothness a little later (maybe half an hour later but that's a guess) my shave seems closer and smoother after some post-shave time has elapsed than it did immediately after I shaved. It might be better an hour and a half later? I'm not sure, but which is the standard you use? Should we all use the same standard?

1575570131692.png

This is more of a curiosity to me than a serious concern but how would you answer the question of when is the best time post-shave to evaluate the shave's closeness and smoothness?

Happy shaves to everyone,

Jim

My number one goal for all my shaves is to achieve a Damn Comfortable Shave meaning the shave meets these standards.
I am far less interested in whether the shave is close and smooth - like Dolphin Skin, or BBS, or DFS, or whatever - than I used to be. I also don't have much interest in having every shave be as good as yesterday's shave or even every part of my face and neck be equally smooth and closely shaven.

Jim
I'm on the same boat here. As long I as get a comfortable and "clean" shave, I am happy. That said, I have fair skin and dark stubbles so I don't look ultra clean even when I go ATG a million times. My clean look is fairly subjective but most of the time, no irritation means good shave.

I asked my mother, who is a cosmetologist, the same question a while back. And while she is not a barber, you’d be surprised what all those women have to know lol. Basically, right after you shave, your hairs are still wet. Hair does actually absorb water, which in turn would make them seem larger. There is also the possibility that you still need work on your technique, or you need a sharper blade for your hair type. If the blade is sharp, it should slice the hair evenly (assuming you have good technique) and it will not pull on the hair follicle. Obviously a dull blade tugs, but a new “sharp” blade may not be sharp enough for your hair type. It could also be a sign that your face needs better care. Shaving is actually not that great for the skin, it removes oils and can damage pores. I had the same results you’ve described and no longer do. Idk if it is because I’ve gotten better at shaving or the fact that I started taking better care of my face. I rinse my face with hot water, apply pre shave, lather up, shave 1-3 passes, rinse with hot water, use alum block, rinse with cold water then apply aftershave. I feel smooth immediately after.

The practice of face stroking with various parts of my hand never really stops between shaves. I tend to find that half an hour to an hour after shaving, my face always feels closer than I judged it to be immediately after shaving.

What I find interesting is the rate of regrowth. The difference I detected in post shave closeness between last nights shave and the one before was negligable. But, the rate of regrowth today was discernably slower. Wierd. Last night I sensed that the shave was a good one. I can't say why and I certainly didn't plan it since the shave was very quick by my own standards, careless even. But my instincts were right. I have no explanation for that.

Same thing happens to me. Shave feels smoother after about an hour or two. I've never heard the description "Like Dolphin Skin" but I like it.

I check the shave during my drive into work, which is about 45 minutes after the actual shave. This gives everything a chance to settle down. Today was BBS (a simple Star razor with a GSB).

For me I get the smoothest feel after a shave after about half an hour to an hour. Usually I will finish a shave and feel a certain amount of "roughness" that is my skin and hairs still soaked with water, and after shave and balm, and what not, so I do notice it feels close a little later. But the irritation can be worse later if I messed up the shave. Right after feels best with the menthol cooling of the aftershaves I use.

Id say that its best to wait until the hairs and your face have dried. As someone else said, right after you shave, the hairs are still wet and have plumped up from the moisture but as they dry to a more normal level, they will shrink and sort of pull back a bit into your skin.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
View attachment 1040974

How long after your shaves do you assess the closeness and smoothness of your shaves and/or how long after your shaves do you believe best for post-shave closeness and smoothness assessment?

View attachment 1040976

However, I've noticed that if I assess the closeness and smoothness of my shave immediately post shave and then assess it for closeness and smoothness a little later (maybe half an hour later but that's a guess) my shave seems closer and smoother after some post-shave time has elapsed than it did immediately after I shaved. It might be better an hour and a half later? I'm not sure, but which is the standard you use? Should we all use the same standard?

View attachment 1040973

This is more of a curiosity to me than a serious concern but how would you answer the question of when is the best time post-shave to evaluate the shave's closeness and smoothness?

Happy shaves to everyone,

Jim

We are in pretty much the same place regarding the desired results of the shave. Thank you for the excellent description.

I also assess my shave 30 minutes - 60 minutes after completing the shave - including cold water rinse, alum, witch hazel, balm and aftershave.

My face always feels smoother after the wait. :)

If I draw the tiniest speck of blood, the shave gets an "F." I've only done a speck ---> . this big once in the last 74 shaves.

My shaves are "single-pass" DFS. The single-pass means one pass with soap plus some minor touching up. My face does feel smoother an hour after shaving.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
I find that even when I think I got an pure BBS, after i do the cold water rinse, I can slight feel some slight stubble.

Brother Whiskers,

What you are inquiring about is the "hysteresis effect," which is the phenomenon of change in a physical property briefly lagging behind the moment of the cause of the change. In shaving this typically is one to three hours after shaving. The whiskers reside back into the face after the tugging by a razor, and the swelling of the whiskers caused by the moisture dissipates.

When is the best time to assess the quality of a shave is a personal decision. I like to do it immediately, and I like to do it several hours later.

When you look in the mirror 15-24 hours later and see how much your stubble has grown or how much stubble is coming through your skin is also a good indication of how effective your earlier shave was. A visual assessment IMHO is more accurate since feeling the face stubble is a bit more elusive as it can feel to 'come and go' at different times of the day with changes in humidity and temperature changes etc...

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Good responses across the board. Thank you, gentlemen.

Brother Whiskers,

What you are inquiring about is the "hysteresis effect," which is the phenomenon of change in a physical property briefly lagging behind the moment of the cause of the change. In shaving this typically is one to three hours after shaving. The whiskers reside back into the face after the tugging by a razor, and the swelling of the whiskers caused by the moisture dissipates.

When is the best time to assess the quality of a shave is a personal decision. I like to do it immediately, and I like to do it several hours later.

Ah, it has a name. Very cool post, sir.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I shave every other day and it really works for me. I try to get the closest shave possible without irritation or bloodletting. Trying for 100% BBS is usually not worth it.
I've settled into a nice technique and routine that gets me 90% BBS most days and that's fine for me.

The shave can feel closer 30-60 minutes afterwards. I attribute this to things "settling down" for lack of a better, more scientific explanation.

We all have our own standards and, as always, YMMV.

Usually if I check immediately after shaving and feel nothing more than soft and very short stubble ATG, I'll be completely smooth an hour later and for the rest of the day. That's how long it takes for my skin to return to its usual post-shave-and-splash feel. No way would I chase BBS immediately post-shave. The hair is just too wet for that and shaving it even more is a ticket to irritation city.

Yep same thing happens to me. One of the members @John Rose actually coined a term for it: “Ghost Stubble.” It’s what keeps you buffing long after you’ve probably achieved BBS. What’s odd is i just noticed his name doesn’t come up when i try to tag him and he hasn’t posted since September. Anyone talked to him lately?

Great description! I also want to enjoy the process of shaving with no immediate irritation or razor burn. My evaluation is usually consistent whether I rate things during, immediately after finishing or a bit later.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm in the same boat as most that have responded that my beard feels closer shaven after 1/2 to 1 hr later, it must be a combination of skin calming down and being hydrated at the same time.

Top Bottom