What's new

Ask not what your Tech can do for you, ask if you know how to use a Tech (pics)

Pictures first - US pre-war Tech with fat handle, chrome replate from Krona Kruiser -

$IMG_3994.jpg$IMG_3995.jpg$IMG_3996.jpg$IMG_3998.jpg$IMG_3999.jpg

The first 4 photos are the new Tech, with #4 my attempt to show the blade angle and exposure. #5 is my post-war Tech for comparison. As best I can tell, the pre-war does have slightly more blade exposure.

So . . .

I've had a post-war Tech for some time. I haven't been able to get an efficient, close shave with it. I generally use it for headshaving, where not nicking the top of my head counts for more than a really smooth shave. I've wondered what a more aggressive Tech would be like, so I finally bit the bullet and ordered this one.

First impression - the plating looks even better in person. It's really shiny chrome. It looks like my old Muhle's when they were new or just cleaned up. A bluish-tinted, silvery shine. I generally prefer gold, but this just looks gorgeous to me. There is a small area on the threading of the cap that is unplated, and if you look down the neck of the handle there are some unplated areas on the thread, but neither is visible when the razor is assembled.

I took a shower as prep and shaved. Mike's peppermint rosemary, Semogue SOC boar, and a Voskhod.

I quickly realized that with my current technique (I shave pretty quickly), it isn't as efficient as my open combs. It does have a really nice smooth feel from the safety bar that I don't get with my open combs, and it is quite friendly. 1 nick where I was playing fast and loose with that hollow next to my chin.

Results - I ended up doing 2 passes where I would normally do 1 with a more efficient razor (for an evening touch-up shave). I haven't yet tried it in the morning, where I normally do a 2 pass shave (WTG, XTG/WTG on neck). What surprised me, though, is that after those 2 passes my shave is close. It may actually be the closest shave I've had in the last 8 months which is how long I've been shaving with DE and SE razors.

I am now even more curious how the various Tech permutations compare in terms of efficiency (realizing that all Techs are generally mild/forgiving). My understanding is, in order of most aggressive to least aggressive -

Canadian 1932 Tech (most aggressive)
US pre-war Tech = British Tech = Ranger Tech-New hybrid safety bar
US post-war Tech

I may well have to order a Canadian 1932 and ask Krona to replate it.

Alternately, with practice, I wonder how much better I can get with this razor. I am aware that technique is important to not get nicked with aggressive razors; I am also aware that problems with technique are important to get a close shave with a mild razor.

I think that it's an excellent razor for beginners, as it is quite forgiving and smooth. The fat handle is also nicely grippy, and in my humble opinion is significantly better than either a bar or ball end handle. It can also shave very closely. I think that those same characteristics make it an excellent razor choice for someone more experienced who wants a friendly razor - for travel, for a forgiving razor to try technique changes with, or simply for something different.

This also makes me more eager to try my Fatboy (in the mail) out. I'm hoping that it is as smooth as the Tech. I'm also hoping that I can shave under my nose relatively easily with it.

The really short version - Krona Kruiser's chrome replates look beautiful and are an excellent value. I got an incredibly close shave with my pre-war Tech (with 1 extra pass) on my first try, it feels very smooth, and it's the first safety bar razor that I really like. This will continue to be my standard recommendation as a razor for any beginner, and for anyone.

LEMS - I'm in.

You'll love the Canada 1932 PAT.
proxy.php

All the FH Techs weigh around 48g. The standard blade gap is around 0.56mm for most, but the Canada 1932 has one of 0.67mm & that was mine measured a touch on the conservative side if anything.
Excellent replate BTW - that is one pretty Tech:thumbup1:

Last edited:
I'm currently using a post-war Canadian Tech but have recently acquired a pre-war Canadian Tech. I just need to give it a scrubbing bubbles treatment. I am hoping to take it for a spin in the next week or so.

I've read that the Canadian 1932 has a wider blade gap and is the most aggressive Tech (still mild overall).

I'm now even more curious - how grippy is the British (diamond criss-cross) handle? Are they all aluminum, or are some plated brass?

I've read that the Canadian 1932 has a wider blade gap and is the most aggressive Tech (still mild overall).

I'm now even more curious - how grippy is the British (diamond criss-cross) handle? Are they all aluminum, or are some plated brass?

I've replied in the thread you started, but very briefly the grip is fine, and there are some plated brass ones about. I have one.

I have a pre-war tech, a 60's vintage tech and a travel tech and I agree with you that the pre-war tech is a bit more aggressive (if you can use that term with a tech). They all shave me nice with a few shims but I really like the pre-war model with 2 or 3 shims in it. The extra blade exposure combined with the added gap from the shims really changes the personality of that thing. I'm seriously thinking about having it re-plated. It's a keeper.

OK, in the never-ending quest to find the "perfect razor" I just got a 1932 Canadian Tech for $10 (inbound for delivery at the end of the month). If it shaves well, I'll ask Krona to replate the head in chrome to use with the above handle.

Supposedly my 1932 Canadian arrived at the office today - I need to track that down tomorrow.

Getting excellent 2 pass shaves from the pre-war currently - close and nick free. I'm really enjoying this razor, and looking forward to the Canadian 1932 "Tech of Doooooom!"

I still really like the chrome look - it just looks shinier and more elegant plating-wise than my nickel plated Fatboy.

I love using my Techs, first couple of shaves with them
using a Med Prep or a Perma Sharp Super blade are usually awesome.........

Another shave with my Canadian 1932 Tech. Very smooth, friendly, and quite effective. Pass #1 (WTG) was SAS, and after a 2nd pass was DFS. The only possible nick (it didn't bleed) was XTG right under my nose on a curve when my cat meowed very loudly and distracted me. :lol:

I'm still not sure that there's a difference between this and my usual pre-war Tech. I also wonder if I have the "real" 1932 Canadian Tech with the larger blade gap, as it doesn't "look" different. I also don't want to spring for a measuring device. :tongue_sm

Fortunately, in true B&B fashion . . . I now have both!

The difference between the triangular slot FH Canada 1932 & the mildest post-war Tech is only about 1 shim. So whilst it should be noticeable, the difference won't be startling by any means.
All I know is that combined with a Feather my Tech gives a brilliant close, comfortable shave on my moderate beard.

The difference between the triangular slot FH Canada 1932 & the mildest post-war Tech is only about 1 shim. So whilst it should be noticeable, the difference won't be startling by any means.

Huh . . . For me, I found that moving from a post-war to a pre-war Tech (oblong to triangular slot) made a significant difference in closeness of shave (for the better). I found the difference to be significant enough that while my post-war Tech is my headshaver (and was a toy for my daughter from time to time!) since it just didn't shave well for me as part of my usual 2 pass regime, the pre-war and the Canadian 1932's are close enough to be in my permanent rotation as excellent shavers.

I haven't tried a Feather in my Tech. I may have to, but I really love the low-resistance razor glide with a Voskhod. Especially for the first shave . . . Teflon-coated goodness. Ahhhhhhh . . .

Tried a comparison shave this evening, with the Canadian 1932 Tech on one side and the pre war US Tech on the other.

I really couldn't pick up a significant difference between the two.

I'm not sure what I hoped to find, since I can get a DFS with 2 passes (WTG, WTG/XTG) from the pre-war. I don't shave ATG so I can't compare them that way, and even after the initial pass they seemed to be equally efficient. Both felt quite safe and friendly.

I just ordered a pre-war Tech with a fat handle off of eBay - I work with someone where I supervise them, and they are just getting in to wet shaving (I gave them a Damaskeene I had). I've thought about getting them a Tech, and have finally decided to just get one as a late Christmas gift. I'll end up adding some Super Iridiums and maybe some Astras.

Top Bottom