What's new

AS-D2 todsy

Used it with a Feather blade. Four passes and touch up. BBS result. I have ordered a Wacker Straight razor but doubt I can get a better shave.

Nice. I’ve been curious about this one but haven’t pulled the trigger because of the price. Sounds like it was not too mild for you which is a knock you hear about the AS-D2. Did you need to play with the angle at all as you shaved to go a little steeper?

Nice. I’ve been curious about this one but haven’t pulled the trigger because of the price. Sounds like it was not too mild for you which is a knock you hear about the AS-D2. Did you need to play with the angle at all as you shaved to go a little steeper?
This is one of my favorite razors. Paired with a feather blade, it is easily the most pleasant shave of any razor I own of any style. I have a fairly tough beard that grows quickly. But with one or two days growth this razor gives me very close shaves on two passes with a little touch up and BBS with three. I usually turn to a more aggressive raiser for three or more days growth.

I have a light beard growth. I have had no difficulty with the razor being too mild when using Feather blades. I find the shaving angle by sound without difficulty.

Yeah it appears to me that Feather razors are meant to be used with Feather blades and are too mild with anyone else's blades.

this was the first expensive razor i purchased, after about a year of neglect it got a little rusted and i gave it away. i purchased several other "high end" razors, ended up purchasing the AS D2 again. works best with feather blade. day and night difference.

ok, so feather blades would be more aggressive than other blades?
I use Feather blades already in other razors. They are currently my go-to. I believe they are sharper and to my feel a little thinner. So I wouldn’t say the blades themselves are more aggressive but could understand why they would be both more comfortable and effective in less aggressive razors. I bet the pairing of the blade and razor is perfectly dialed in from what fans say.

I have heard reports from some AS-D2 owners that find the razor too mild that a Kai blade, since it is wider and gives more blade exposure improves their shaves. I don’t own one but it has been on my wish list for a while. Perhaps one day....

The asd2 is the most comfortable shaving razor I own, pipping very marginally in this regard the tatara masamune. It is not as efficient as quite a few of the other razors I have but more passes with the asd2 doesnt engender irritation on my face.

I own an AS-D2 amongst many other razors and have tried it with a variety of blades including Feathers, Kai, all manner of Personna, Voskhod, Polsilver etc. I have never had a bad shave with any blade in that razor. Three standard passes and BBS. Whether you use it every day or every three days it will shave beautifully once you dial in the angle which, isn’t difficult. I could not recommend the AS-D2 more highly.

Been always intrigued by them. I like the idea of a lifelong lasting razor and adore the shaves from a tech.

If this is a match of my '79 UK tech but made in stainless, I'd die happy. Just not worth the price to find out.

i've been using my as/d2 this week with a gillette platinum blade. 2 passes , close and smooth. might try a kai after discarding this blade. have used feathers and don't really see any difference.

I love my feather AS D2. I don't find that it requires a feather blade or a certain angle. All my favorite blades like the Gillette silver blue and personna blue blades work great. My AS D2 always gives a great shave.

In addition it's simply a beautiful and flawlessly finished tool.

Sounds like it was not too mild for you which is a knock you hear about the AS-D2.
OP did 4 passes + touchup. That sounds like a lot to get to BBS.

I have an AS-D2 and it's my daily razor. It's very mild and sometimes I forget how mild it is until I use something else (like a Gillette Guard). I do only 2 passes and end up with something between a CCS and DFS.

I love my feather AS D2. I don't find that it requires a feather blade or a certain angle. All my favorite blades like the Gillette silver blue and personna blue blades work great. My AS D2 always gives a great shave.

In addition it's simply a beautiful and flawlessly finished tool.

Re blades. I do find it likes the sharper blades. Feather certainly chief among them. But I also have great success with other blades on the sharper end of the spectrum, for example Gillette 7 o’clock black.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My blade of choice used to be Kai (preferred mainly because it didn't have wax/glue spots), but I've now switched to Gillette Platinum Plus as long as I can get them.

I have it as well as other well known razors. My AS-D2 is the best of the bunch. In my case, there has never been a bad blade either.

Top Bottom