What's new

As a newbie, what should be my next soap?

In alphabetical order:
Barrister & Mann
Mike's
Stirling

Why: stellar performers with lots of glide, fantastic protection, wonderful post-shave feel, great ingredients list and marvellous scents!

I recommend the NOS Art of Shaving tallow soaps on eBay or from haircareandbeauty.com I can't believe the price on these for what you're getting.

After that the other suggestions are very good as well.

In alphabetical order:
Barrister & Mann
Mike's
Stirling

Why: stellar performers with lots of glide, fantastic protection, wonderful post-shave feel, great ingredients list and marvellous scents!

No doubt.
Pick a scent that agrees with your nose from one of these and you can't go wrong. Stirling and Mike's have the added bonus of being excellent values.

For less than a quarter of your budget, Arko. Then you can save all your fancy and tuitty-fruitty scents for the aftershave, which is what is going to stick with you anyway.

For twenty bucks you can get a tub of Cella, an Arko stick, and a Speick stick, and still probably take care of shipping. All of those are great.

Erasmic is a great low budget soap, even if you don't like the bowl... A few seconds in a microwave turns it to liquid so you can put it into any vessel you choose. It's always one I like to keep in my rotation.

Get Razorock XXX for ten bucks or Barrister and Mann Latha for ten bucks and have money left over for some blades as well as shipping.

Or for just over 20 you could get either Barrister Mann Black Label (my fave is Rosemary and Peppermint) or Valobra Hard soap. Both are awesome!

OP - know there's many recommendations...
Ultimately, it's your choice.
What I suggest is this;
allocate a little over half your budget to a "big name" soap... Plenty out there to choose from.
the rest of the money, spend it on as many different budget soaps as the cash will allow.
This will enable several things; you to contrast and compare the lower and upper price bracket products... Allow you the opportunity to try out more soaps with the notable possibility of stumbling across a "giant slayer" budget soap that may prove to provide you with a great shaving experience without eating into your budget.
Of course, if you do stumble across a great soap that saves you money... You could then save up for other shaving stuff, new razors, different types of blades or razors ( straights, shavettes, vintage DE and the like).

$12 - L'Occitane Cade (you'll see my review and see why) :)

+1. An excellent soap that is easy to generate a rich and thick lather, has a wonderful understated, but clearly present scent, and is very slick and moisturizing for the touch up phase of your shave.

Tim

These are the soaps in that price range that I have where every time I use them, I say, "wow, I could use this soap every day."

Barrister and Mann -- especially Black Label
Razorock XXX
CRSW
Valobra Hard

As mentioned above caties and B&M are awesome. Tabac seems to be a favorite of most people. I also really like PAA(Phoenix atrisan accoutrements). Great performance and not too bad on price either. Plenty of scents to choose from as well

Top Bottom