What's new

Artists' Club

Today’s shave:
Schick Proline Kami - Dorco Barber Blade (7)
A8E25776-14A4-44DE-88B9-775C54B22E26.jpeg

The stuff that dreams are made of...

Do I see the beginnings of a barber's notch in that Schick? :001_rolle
Yeah there’s a slight flick in the tip like a subtle French Point:
E864AD25-4EFC-4144-BED9-298559BFB855.jpeg

Has anybody got any good suggestions for travelling with razors like these?
I know Feather make a head cover for the DX but how about the other Artist Club kamis?
I’d like a storage solution so I don’t have to leave the exposed blade out in a strange bathroom.

Yeah there’s a slight flick in the tip like a subtle French Point:
View attachment 885729

I know Feather make a head cover for the DX but how about the other Artist Club kamis?
I’d like a storage solution so I don’t have to leave the exposed blade out in a strange bathroom.

There’s is a similar plastic cover for the SS. I’ve had mine for a while and cant remember where I got it. I think it was from one of the shaving specialty sites (west coast?)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, just found this forum!!
I got my first AC razor, Asylum Rx, and began using it on 2/20.
I haven't even looked at any of my DEs since then. I look forward to reading all the pages for the last
few months!!

Welcome aboard!

In a capricious and unnecessary but fun exercise I modified spare blade holders for my Antelope and Dovo shavettes to take Artist Club blades.

The holders were originally intended to use the long cabinet blades so the modification involved cutting away parts of the nubs inside the holders.
Why would you even do this? Just because you can :)

Insane, Marcus! But in a good way . . .

I have been enjoying my Zebrano handled Kai but prefer the metal holder of the standard Kai Captain. I love the Kai Captain but the plastic scales are flimsy. I swapped the scales over on a spare Kai Captain with the Zebrano. Now I have two wooden handled razors with my favourite holders (DX and Captain) and lipped Kai and standard Kai for when I don't want to worry about wet wooden handles.

Those are some beautiful razors!

As I'm sure you know, Marcus, the Excelia kami comes with its own dedicated traveling coffin. Perhaps some ingenious folks could offer ideas for putting together something similar, but more generic. An oblong case with a lid and some foam for the insert would seem to be the essential elements.

In a pinch, you could wrap the razor in a washcloth and store in a toiletries case.

proxy.php

Well, my shavette from Fendrihan's arrived yesterday (fast!), along with 10 cabinet blades marked "Gillance" plus some Chinese ideograms. Naturally I immediately had to give it a go. The shavette was already loaded with a blade -- glad I notice that early on! The blades are indeed a revelation as Marcus said. They're as sharp or sharper than AC blades (though not as smooth on a first try), but also thinner, so the overall first impression is lethal. The shave itself was quite nice. The shavette is light as a feather (small "f") and very maneuverable. The shape of the shaving surface made it easy to find the range of effective angles -- shallow is the name of the game! Overall this promises to be a fine addition to the arsenal.

Question: How on earth do you change the blade without bloodshed? With great effort I was able to pry the plastic sheath-cum-blade out of the holder, but how do you extricate the blade from the sheath? Tweezers? Pliers? :001_huh:

proxy.php

Well, my shavette from Fendrihan's arrived yesterday (fast!), along with 10 cabinet blades marked "Gillance" plus some Chinese ideograms. Naturally I immediately had to give it a go. The shavette was already loaded with a blade -- glad I notice that early on! The blades are indeed a revelation as Marcus said. They're as sharp or sharper than AC blades (though not as smooth on a first try), but also thinner, so the overall first impression is lethal. The shave itself was quite nice. The shavette is light as a feather (small "f") and very maneuverable. The shape of the shaving surface made it easy to find the range of effective angles -- shallow is the name of the game! Overall this promises to be a fine addition to the arsenal.

Question: How on earth do you change the blade without bloodshed? With great effort I was able to pry the plastic sheath-cum-blade out of the holder, but how do you extricate the blade from the sheath? Tweezers? Pliers? :001_huh:

proxy.php
Truly awesome!
And yes definitely some kind of tool to get the blade out of the insert - I use the point of a pocket knife.

Although the plastic Antelope shavette might win in terms of ergonomics I think the Dovo Shavette style is definitely the most attractive design of the cabinet blade razors (and the original shavette design for these blades of course).

And following a genius suggestion from @Seveneighth I got some document spinebinders to make a travel cover for my AC kamis.
I widened the binder by forming it round a spoon handle and pouring boiling water over it.
B84BAD91-3518-4204-8ED2-CDF1AA06D0A1.jpeg

Then I put a bit of foam rubber inside halfway along to support the neck and raise the head to give blade clearance.
8F54AFF8-B85F-45E0-AEB7-88EC4EFECCEF.jpeg
Et voila! The perfect kami cover:
3FA52D16-F10F-4BDC-BEA8-6D10B0DFA12D.jpeg

Truly awesome!
And yes definitely some kind of tool to get the blade out of the insert - I use the point of a pocket knife.

Although the plastic Antelope shavette might win in terms of ergonomics I think the Dovo Shavette style is definitely the most attractive design of the cabinet blade razors (and the original shavette design for these blades of course).
  • Thank you, Marcus. So the shavette I have is Dovo-style?
  • Ingenious kami travel case!
  • Wish there were a kami-style shavette for the cabinet blades...

Tonight I had my second shave in the Dovo knock-off with the "Gillance" cabinet blade. Three passes to BBS; very nice. Yet once you get past the novelty of a super-light, super-sharp shavette, I don't think these particular blades hold a candle to Artist Club blades, nor is this setup nearly as effective as a Feather AC Pro Super in either the Feather DX or the Kai Captain Pro Excelia. (YMMV, of course.) Not that I'll stop using the quasi-Dovo; it's kind of nifty, for a' that. :biggrin:

I received my Cloud blades from AliExpress.com. They turned out to be the double-width, double-edge variety. That didn't stop me from tucking one into the Dovo knockoff. It turned the razor into a surgical 5/8, but it was still quite maneuverable, even forgiving -- and the shave was BBS!

proxy.php

I received my Cloud blades from AliExpress.com. They turned out to be the double-width, double-edge variety. That didn't stop me from tucking one into the Dovo knockoff. It turned the razor into a surgical 5/8, but it was still quite maneuverable, even forgiving -- and the shave was BBS!

proxy.php
Wow! Fierce!!!
You can snap the blades in half inside the paper wrapper as we do with the DE blades for a bit less blade exposure!

Top Bottom