What's new

Artist Club Blade recommendation

I just purchased an ATT SE1 razor and would like your feedback on what AC blades to buy.
I've heard about Feather, Kai and Proline.
This would be my first time shaving with an AC type razor.
Thanks

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I use a Feather Artist Club DX with the Feather Professional blades and they are ridiculously sharp and smooth. I also use the Feather Pro Guard blades and they are....... ridiculously sharp and smooth, and a little bit more forgiving if you lose concentration. I have never used another brand of blade as the Feathers are superb and for me last at least ten shaves. Good luck.

I would suggest using tryablade.com to get some samples. If you are new to AC blades, I recommend getting 1 different style/level of blade:

Feather ProGuard (or a guard style blade)
Kai Titan Mild or Schick Proline (solid choices for most)
Feather Pro or Pro Super (more aggressive than others)

These blades are sharper and rigid than DE blades and I would definitely suggest trying them out first.

I just purchased an ATT SE1 razor and would like your feedback on what AC blades to buy.
I've heard about Feather, Kai and Proline.
This would be my first time shaving with an AC type razor.
Thanks
There is only Kamasori and Dorco brands in addition to the brands you mentioned.

Thanks for all the replies. I ordered a few samples from Tryablade.com. Hopefully they'll be here whem my SE1 arrives.

Might be my mind playing tricks, but I like different blades in different razors. The Kai Pink seems to work best in the ATT SE1, the Feather Super Pro in my Mongoose, and the Feather Pro in my Blackland Vector and Colonial General. The Proline is also a nice blade and works especially well in the Vector and General. It's a real shame the Proline seens unobtainable in the UK atm.
Generally, though, they all seem to be of good quality and work well in any AC razor, with a bit of modification to technique. I've not used a downright bad AC blade, unlike some DE blades I could just never get to like.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Feather Pro is a good blade and not too prone to bite, but its Feather genes tend to make it lose its edge a little more quickly. I haven't tried Feather Pro Supers. I have tried Feather ProGuard and it does tame the blade a little in a more aggressive razor like the SE1 or SE2.

Prolines may be a little harder to source inexpensively. I tried them and found them (because they are a touch wider from spine to edge) to be very blade-forward in the SE1. Enough so that I realized I didn't have the chops for it right then, so I piffed them to a friend. I hate "getting bucked off" so I may try them again sometime, particularly if they become more generally available in North America.

The Kai guarded blades live up to their "mild" name. In a RazoRock Hawk V3SB -- intended as a rather mild shaver -- the guarded Kai is almost nonfunctional. I was amused. Kai Captain Titan Mild Pinks are a good blade and seem so work well in both the V3SB and in the V3OC. A little more edgy in the OC than in the SB. I find in either razor they'll last six good head shaves, and I can get seven or eight if I let my cheap side out to play.

I'll be returning to the Windsor SE1 soon and trying it out with the Kai blades, so I'll have more input later.

O.H.

Might be my mind playing tricks, but I like different blades in different razors. The Kai Pink seems to work best in the ATT SE1, the Feather Super Pro in my Mongoose, and the Feather Pro in my Blackland Vector and Colonial General. The Proline is also a nice blade and works especially well in the Vector and General. It's a real shame the Proline seens unobtainable in the UK atm.
Generally, though, they all seem to be of good quality and work well in any AC razor, with a bit of modification to technique. I've not used a downright bad AC blade, unlike some DE blades I could just never get to like.
@Cumberland Sausage, I've been revisiting old(er) threads, in my quest to get the best AC-type-blade SE razor. I really don't like buying multiple ones and experimenting.

Like you, I am in Europe, so things get tricky with shipping and duties for stuff coming from US, hence I hoped you might be able to offer some advice.

I'm considering Vector, General V2 and ATT SE1. As I can see, you happen to have all three of them, so wanted to ask you which one would be the "desert island" choice 😎 and why.

I see one HUGE advantage of the ATT SE1 - they offer head only and it's $75 and it will fit any of my standard M5X0.8 handles. Same with General, can get the head only, but it's $115 and to get a Vector shipped it's $250 total, as no head-only option available.

So, any advice would be warmly welcomed!

Cheers

@Cumberland Sausage, I've been revisiting old(er) threads, in my quest to get the best AC-type-blade SE razor. I really don't like buying multiple ones and experimenting.

Like you, I am in Europe, so things get tricky with shipping and duties for stuff coming from US, hence I hoped you might be able to offer some advice.

I'm considering Vector, General V2 and ATT SE1. As I can see, you happen to have all three of them, so wanted to ask you which one would be the "desert island" choice 😎 and why.

I see one HUGE advantage of the ATT SE1 - they offer head only and it's $75 and it will fit any of my standard M5X0.8 handles. Same with General, can get the head only, but it's $115 and to get a Vector shipped it's $250 total, as no head-only option available.

So, any advice would be warmly welcomed!

Cheers
The performance of the Vector and General V2 seem very similar to me, which is to say excellent. The design of the Vector is very attractive, but on the other hand the General has a very sleek and understated look. Some days I like one a little better, then subsequently change my mind. The SE1 comes just a little way behind these two, for me, but it's still a very goof razor and I use mine quite a lot. If I had to choose just one of the three and pay for it again, I would go for the General V2 head only option, because it costs less than the Vector and I don't really like the Colonial handle.
Of course there's also the Razorock Hawk V3, one of which I've just acquired. It certainly looks good, but I haven't come to a conclusion over how ell it shaves.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Schick Proline
Feather Artist Club Professional Super
Kai Captain Titan Protouch w/Guard
Feather Artist Club Professional Super w/Guard
Kai Pink
Feather Artist Club Pro

These are the blades I use in my various AC blade razors.

For the ATT SE1, I use the Proline or one of the guarded blades.

YMMV

The performance of the Vector and General V2 seem very similar to me, which is to say excellent. The design of the Vector is very attractive, but on the other hand the General has a very sleek and understated look. Some days I like one a little better, then subsequently change my mind. The SE1 comes just a little way behind these two, for me, but it's still a very goof razor and I use mine quite a lot. If I had to choose just one of the three and pay for it again, I would go for the General V2 head only option, because it costs less than the Vector and I don't really like the Colonial handle.
Of course there's also the Razorock Hawk V3, one of which I've just acquired. It certainly looks good, but I haven't come to a conclusion over how ell it shaves.
I guess I'm leaning toward General head, as upon closer inspection the ATT SE1 head for $75 is aluminum, while SS one is $166. The Hawk doesn't appeal to me at all, as it looks rather bulky.

Thanks a lot for the great feedback, I really appreciate it!

Top Bottom