What's new

Art of Shaving at Marshal’s

Amazing how the parent company being so large seem to have failed in the marketing of this line. With their money and power it is amazing they could not get it in big box stores or mall retailers. Looks like it is on the decline.

A fine find! Peppermint is nice. Never tried eucalyptus, but if it's anything like D.R. Harris, it should be a treat.

Amazing how the parent company being so large seem to have failed in the marketing of this line. With their money and power it is amazing they could not get it in big box stores or mall retailers. Looks like it is on the decline.

AoS products are sold at Target stores in more well-off neighborhoods, but only the most popular scents (sandalwood and lavender). Odd stuff comes from their online and mall shops. There's only going to be so much market for a $25 tub of shaving cream. If they don't restrict distribution then it becomes less exclusive, and then you can't justify the price.

This years MarshMaxx/Burlington finds were: AoS Oud, Bergamot Neroli, Peppermint, and a black box (I forget).. don’t want to dig it out.. Also, Proraso green tub and tube.

oh and they also had a lot of fancy Van Der Hagen sets, along with the cheaper, Weishi clone sets...

Also, they had the little AoS Dopp bags with a mini badger brush and some oil, cream and AS for $10

AoS products are sold at Target stores in more well-off neighborhoods, but only the most popular scents (sandalwood and lavender). Odd stuff comes from their online and mall shops. There's only going to be so much market for a $25 tub of shaving cream. If they don't restrict distribution then it becomes less exclusive, and then you can't justify the price.

The tub is not worth that amount of money to even us and agreed that normal people would not spend that much either. I have great shaves with some of the cheaper soaps and creams, way better than whats commercially available in these box stores. Price does not always mean we will love it or that it will even work. Brands like GFT and T&H and others will never be main streamed.

The parent company also markets cheap canned foam, to sell this cheaply would compete with their own mass produced product lines.

The tub is not worth that amount of money to even us and agreed that normal people would not spend that much either. I have great shaves with some of the cheaper soaps and creams, way better than whats commercially available in these box stores. Price does not always mean we will love it or that it will even work. Brands like GFT and T&H and others will never be main streamed.

The parent company also markets cheap canned foam, to sell this cheaply would compete with their own mass produced product lines.

AoS existed long before P&G acquired them, and P&G has had a fairly light touch on how AoS was run (other than providing financing and access to Gillette hardware.) Their software was that expensive before the acquisition. The original idea was to provide an exclusive luxury experience to a particular market segment, and if you're going to do that then you have to have a price tag to match. It wasn't meant for or marketed to the proles.

To that point..of which you are correct on..AoS is an American TOB or T&H or Ed Jagger. The owners made a home run when they sold to P&G, but the point I make remains accurate, P&G could not make it go.

AoS was in many malls where the common man shopped in hopes of attracting them, not just on Madison Ave or in Dubai. They never did make it a household name like Gillette.

Even to the high earning professional who rode the train to whatever city each day, it was just shaving, and not worth the money. Suits, ties, shoes and cologne all get noticed. What you spent on shaving that morning would not impress people and how could they even know.

This years MarshMaxx/Burlington finds were: AoS Oud, Bergamot Neroli, Peppermint, and a black box (I forget).. don’t want to dig it out.. Also, Proraso green tub and tube.

oh and they also had a lot of fancy Van Der Hagen sets, along with the cheaper, Weishi clone sets...
I'm guessing the black box was Olibanum + Black Pepper. I found that at my local Ross, too.

I'd love to find a tub of Bergamot and Neroli or a tub of Oud at one of the discounters, though.

Yeah, I don't think I'd be willing to pay more than $9-$10 for a tub of AoS shave cream. That said, t's definitely a good buy for $5.

Swung by the local Marshall's here in AZ yesterday. No AOS stuff, but I did pick up a tub of Proraso for $3 and a VDH badger for $3. My 4 year-old grandson likes to play with my brushes and soaps when he visits. Now, he'll have his own brush, like Grandpa and Daddy :001_rolle
PXL_20210107_145518236.jpg

Swung by the local Marshall's here in AZ yesterday. No AOS stuff, but I did pick up a tub of Proraso for $3 and a VDH badger for $3. My 4 year-old grandson likes to play with my brushes and soaps when he visits. Now, he'll have his own brush, like Grandpa and Daddy :001_rolle View attachment 1205353

Yeah, he'll be ready for shaving once he starts growing facial hair; that extra-prickly brush will toughen his skin right up. :)

I actually stepped into the local Marshalls for the first time in my life because of this thread. Ended up with a tub of AOS Oud for $6 and a tub of AOS Peppermint on super clearance for $3. The Oud scent seemed pretty fruity, which I like. The Peppermint was, well, peppermint. I wouldn't normally use that scent, but for $3 I'll give it a try and toss it if I don't like it.

I've always liked AOS creams, but always thought them a rip-off. They're more expensive than the ones I like from TOBS, and their softness makes the tub go faster than the ones I like from T&H. I also don't like that they use this large tub with an inner liner than holds less cream than you think the tub holds. Sort of a "truth in advertising" violation as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom